Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 2003 STS lost a gallon of coolant, but no warning message or anything... It's like 21 degrees outside though, and the coolant temperature only striked 1,5 line past twelve a couple of times... What are the chances of overheating the HG? At least, local overheating?

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
Are there any signs of coolant leakage around the water pump, crossover, heater lines, or radiator?

You can get a test kit from the auto parts stores to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant, that would be the most reliable way to check for a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any signs of coolant leakage around the water pump, crossover, heater lines, or radiator?

You can get a test kit from the auto parts stores to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant, that would be the most reliable way to check for a blown head gasket.

I can see traces of it around the pump, but not sure. Going to the repair shop tomorrow. I'm not sure the engine would still function properly after taking in a gallon of coolant in just 800 miles... Would this kit find the gasses after the refill?

I'm almost sure that the leak is elsewhere. What I'm worried about is the possibility of overheating the engine as a result of the leak.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
A gallon is a lot to lose without a trace. Seems the engine area or your garage floor would be soaked. Follow gravity from the coolant plumbing / radiator / pump and see if you can identify a suspect area.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
Would this kit find the gasses after the refill?
No..

If you are seeing evidence of an external leak, I would not worry about a HG. Fix the leak and see what happens from there.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
^^^ yeah, I agree. A gallon lost is probably just enough to set the "Low Coolant" indicator, not a whole lot compared to the size of the cooling system.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....I'm not sure the engine would still function properly after taking in a gallon of coolant in just 800 miles...
You would not believe the amount of water I added to my cooling system one fine spring day when the radiator end tank split when I was 450 miles from my garage door. I was pulling over every 35 to 40 miles and adding water. The normally seven hour trip took closer to eleven hours.
Locate the leak and fix it.

What I'm worried about is the possibility of overheating the engine as a result of the leak.
If you ignore the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message and the temperature guage, the possibility of damage is there. But you would not ignore the message and the guage, would you??

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you ignore the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message and the temperature guage, the possibility of damage is there. But you would not ignore the message and the guage, would you??

The check never appeared in my case.

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Visited repair shop today. Water pump is leaking. Under pressure of course, more like steaming.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
Cough up the extra $65 or so to have the shop also replace the aluminum water pump cover/thermostat housing. There's a revised cover and gasket in the field to prevent nuisance cover seal leaks. It's a GM part, and if the car's in the shop now it would seem that you'll have to pay list price for the new cover.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,691 Posts
I would also recommend having them go back in with the revised cover I had to replace it on both of my N*'s due to nuisance leaks. The labor is going to be the same you will only have to spring for the the new cover, cover gasket and the thicker thermostat gasket.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Cough up the extra $65 or so to have the shop also replace the aluminum water pump cover/thermostat housing. There's a revised cover and gasket in the field to prevent nuisance cover seal leaks.
What does the new cover change? When did GM come out with this? I just did the cover gasket on mine for a slow drip... I used the updated gasket but had not heard of the revised cover until now.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What does the new cover change? When did GM come out with this? I just did the cover gasket on mine for a slow drip... I used the updated gasket but had not heard of the revised cover until now.
IDK the exact date they redesigned the cover... The first I heard of it was when I did it to my 2000 back Feb 2009. The individual part numbers are as follows...

Cover 12600022
Cover Gasket 12600020
Thicker Thermostat gasket 12574478

I'm not positive... but from what I remember the old cover gasket was blue and the redesigned one was black with ribs in it.

The entire redesigned cover gasket parts and new waterpump are also available in a kit.... there's a good picture of the kit at the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADI...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ce890a0f8

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cough up the extra $65 or so to have the shop also replace the aluminum water pump cover/thermostat housing. There's a revised cover and gasket in the field to prevent nuisance cover seal leaks. It's a GM part, and if the car's in the shop now it would seem that you'll have to pay list price for the new cover.

Is it necessary? It has nothing to do with water pump and it's not leaking. The car has only 65 000 miles on it...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Is it necessary? It has nothing to do with water pump and it's not leaking. The car has only 65 000 miles on it...
That's your call, the pump cover will be coming off to change the pump.... my 2000 started leaking at 69,000 my 2002 started leaned at 42,000.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Interesting... I've never seen or heard of the sensor being replaceable.

One thing to keep in mind though. The tank is a pressurized part of your cooling system about 18-19 psi is in the tank with the car running. It is also subject to extreme temperature changes. Over time plastic does tend to become brittle... some CF members have reported cracks and leaks in the tank. If it were my car and I was looking at $40 for a new sensor or $80 for a new tank and sensor I would go with the tank... but it's your call.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
IDK the exact date they redesigned the cover... The first I heard of it was when I did it to my 2000 back Feb 2009. The individual part numbers are as follows...

Cover 12600022
Cover Gasket 12600020
Thicker Thermostat gasket 12574478

I'm not positive... but from what I remember the old cover gasket was blue and the redesigned one was black with ribs in it.

The entire redesigned cover gasket parts and new waterpump are also available in a kit.... there's a good picture of the kit at the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADI...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ce890a0f8
Thank you! That's interesting... I did use the updated gasket with the ribs (FelPro is phasing out the old gasket, they say the new one replaces it), but my cover looks the same as far as I can tell from the picture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts