Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
rfishing said:
Mechanic added Bars Leak GM Tabs to the radiator black tank, with radiator cap on it (not the radiator, or hose). I questioned them about that and they told me it would be fine putting the stuff in there. I just took cap off and the stuff is clumped up inside there. What to do?
Not that it would do any good now, the supplement is intended to go into the lower radiator hose, not the expansion tank...ever!

It does not make any difference now anyway because it will not help a bit, even if it were to make it through the cooling system. You can flush it out with a garden hose at this point.

I suspect the problem you are having finding an engine in your area is that the STS was probably not a popular vehicle in your area which translates to not any in local salvage at this time. The STS is NOT the same as SLS or DeVille, or Eldorado STD for 1994. It is only matched to the Eldorado ETC or Seville STS. They use a different transmission, and different computer modules compared to the other models.

Chances are very good that you don't need a complete engine anyway. What you do need is the Time-Sert job done properly. Yours will not be the only one to go back for a second time. If the Time-Sert job was incomplete, or heli-coils were used at last repair, the job was done wrong.

·
Registered
'76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS
169 Posts
I'm amazed at how often professional mechanics jump to incorrect conclusions like this with no basis in fact. I use a local guy for my work but I tell him specifically what I want and he does it. In fairness to him my Cadillacs are probably the only ones he works on -- how else would he know about the nuances of these cars and particularly the Northstar?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
"It does not make any difference now anyway because it will not help a bit, even if it were to make it through the cooling system. You can flush it out with a garden hose at this point."

Are you saying, that even if it makes it into the engine it will not be effect because it is already gunky, and it needs to be gunky inside the engine?

·
Registered
'76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS
169 Posts
rfishing said:
"It does not make any difference now anyway because it will not help a bit, even if it were to make it through the cooling system. You can flush it out with a garden hose at this point."

Are you saying, that even if it makes it into the engine it will not be effect because it is already gunky, and it needs to be gunky inside the engine?
I think he's saying it will not help a blown head gasket. It is really only effective with seepage-type leaks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I was able to mix the Bars Leak stuff up in the tank, and after running car awhile, everything appears to be out of the tank now. Actually it mixed in pretty easily with a stir stick. Mechanic told me this tank is not a normal overflow tank, that I have a pressurized system, and the tank has constant flow going to it, and that is why you can put the tabs in there safely.

I have to agree that it seems that it would be better to mix into a big radiator hose, and not worry about it clogging up in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,545 Posts
He is correct in that it is a pressurized "surge" tank and does have a constant flow, but it is a low flow and thus can clog the tank outlet. That is why they are recommended to be put in the radiator hose, a high flow area.

Texasseville is correct. The sealant tabs will do nothing to prevent or cure head gasket failures. Their sole purpose is to seal porous aluminum castings and (low pressure) gasket seepage.

·
Registered
613 Posts
What's weird about this, is that when I read over my fluid chart thats under the hood, it says to make sure to use the supplement when changing the coolant and to "put it in the pressurized tank". Obviously someone f'ed that one up when writing it.. I wonder if this misinformation could be an explanation for people that had headgasket failure with their dealer maintained vehicles.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Just out of curiousity, I called another mechanic and asked them about where to put the Bars Leak Tabs, and they said, in the pressure tank. Then I called the shop that put them in my pressure tank, and talked with a different mechanic there. He said, putting them in the pressure tank is okay, it just takes a few days to get them mixed in the system.

After mixing it up, and driving for about 20 minutes, my pressure tank appears to be all coolant, I do not see any signs of bars leak stuff in there.

My coolant level has not dropped since adding Bars Leak 5 days ago, and temperature is never over 203. I must add, that I have yet to drive down the mountain and back up since adding Bars Leak Tabs. I will be adding more tabs soon, then rechecking for Gases in coolant.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Well, you add coolant to the surge tank to get it in the engine/radiator. Putting the tablets in there may be alright. I am sure they would be just fine if they were crushed. The reason they are suggested to put in the hose is because of less risk of plugging, especially if you don't crush them. There is no need to crush them if you put them in the bottom hose. It is my preference though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just got back from local repair shop. They crushed up all the tablets and put them into the pressure tank. So far doing good, no coolant loss and temps are normal. Going to wait a few days and see if gas is still present in the coolant.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts