Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dealer seems to want us to get rid of the car. They say, it could cost thousands of dollars over the head gasket job, and since the car is old, we should just get rid of it. They will fix it for us of course, but at minimum price of head gaskets job about 2600. If turns out heads or block is cracked that would be extra. I need to call manufacture and see if they would absord some of the cost, as this is so close to warranty period. Also, calling local shops for cost of them doing the work instead of dealer.

Weird thing is, I never see coolant loss driving locally. Only loses coolant and gets hot when going up through mountain pass. Soon as I get through the pass, temp comes back to normal. I can drive car all day locally (level ground) no problems, coolant level is same next morning. Does that mean this is head gaskets and not a cracked block? I mean if block or heads are cracked, wouldnt I see more coolant loss and overheating?

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
I'm just keying on one thing you posted and that is, your wife loves this car. If it is in good condition (except of course for the head gasket problem) You could have the gaskets replaced again though I wouldn't go to the dealer for it. I would find the best reputable independant mechanic in your area for the job. My guess is the job should cost around $2,000 unless the heads are damaged and need to be replaced.

Worst case scenario is you have to replace the entire engine. $4,000 should get you the engine, not sure what a shop would charge you to R/R. My guess is you could get a rebuilt engine installed for around $6,000. Can you replace the car for that amount?

Sure, there will be other things that will need attention sooner or later. But consider this, your car in it's present condition is worth nothing in trade, little if any privately. To replace the car with equal or better how much will you have to pay? Will you pay cash? Or will you have to finance and pay added interest?

Just a few things for consideration. You and your wife will have to make the call as you two will have to live with the results of your descision.
Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,545 Posts
My radar is pegged. Cracked head, unusaul. Cracked block, unusual. Cracked head AND block, very unusual. "Dealer seems to want us to get rid of the car". Of coarse, they make a sale and steal the car from you becasue "the engine needs to be replaced, therefor it is worthless". Am I the only one smelling a rat? I'd get a second opinion. May be bad head gaskets and nothing more.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Car is actually in immaculate condition. After head gaskets were replaced 10 months ago, we thought we were keeping the car for a while so we bought new brakes, tires, battery, power steering pump, entire cooling system, even had car tuned up at 70k miles with new wires and all. Car just passed smog last month, and had registration renewed. That is shame of all this matter, car runs perfectly, except going up hill. It is better comfort and interior quality than newer STS we looked at. I cant believe the cheap dashboard in new STS.

My only concerns about re-doing head gasket is; will it blow again, what if the time-serts pulled loose this time, and what is causing this happen?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,545 Posts
If ALL the bolt holes are Timeserted properly, they should not pull loose and you should not have gasket problems again. My guess would be that they where not all done or where not done properly the first time.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Ranger said:
My radar is pegged. Cracked head, unusaul. Cracked block, unusual. Cracked head AND block, very unusual. "Dealer seems to want us to get rid of the car". Of coarse, they make a sale and steal the car from you becasue "the engine needs to be replaced, therefor it is worthless". Am I the only one smelling a rat? I'd get a second opinion. May be bad head gaskets and nothing more.
Smells funny to me too. That's why I was throwing out the worst case numbers.
rfishing said:
Car is actually in immaculate condition. After head gaskets were replaced 10 months ago, we thought we were keeping the car for a while so we bought new brakes, tires, battery, power steering pump, entire cooling system, even had car tuned up at 70k miles with new wires and all. Car just passed smog last month, and had registration renewed. That is shame of all this matter, car runs perfectly, except going up hill. It is better comfort and interior quality than newer STS we looked at. I cant believe the cheap dashboard in new STS.

My only concerns about re-doing head gasket is; will it blow again, what if the time-serts pulled loose this time, and what is causing this happen?
If I remember reading his posts correctly, I beleive our best info source said that if timeserts were done properly they were stronger than original?

Anyway, after what you've just posted I would find the best independant as I mentioned before and have him repair the car for you. You know what you have in the car, with the engine properly repaired I would expect at least another 100k miles out of it though no one can say how much for sure.

Once it is repaired watch the sooling system religeously. Make sure it has the GM pellets or Barsleak equivalant in it. Excessive heat ruins engines faster than anything I know of.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Post note;
As you have probably surmised, the dealer is not your friend. I took my Sable into the dealer because of an intermittent miss that had been evading repair for a year after I had the head gaskets replaced. I had taken it to others with no luck, I thought the dealer should be most knowledgeable about their car. Boy, was I naïve about that! They gave me a bogus laundry list that they were going to charge me $850 to do. Half of the things on the list I had already done, I took the car from them and did the other half myself for a fraction of the cost. Problem still there. Arrgh!!

Took it to a local independent who was highly recommended by a few people, after two hours of checking I got a call telling me it was fixed. Loose ground cable was all it was. $85 for the time to find and fix the real problem, 10% of what the dealer wanted and they wouldn’t have even come close to solving it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Fortunately I have a second vehicle for back up, so will be taking my time on this one. Not sure where we are going with this, but they best hope all the timeserts were done as documented. I doubt that dealer would have messed around with our car, see the bureau of auto repair actually oversaw the head gaskets last time. Long story, and for legal reasons Im not saying anymore about the last job. That should explain why dealer wants us to get rid of car.

Weekend now, will be calling for estimates on monday, as time permits. Anyone have the number to GM in Detroit I can call?

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
In that case, post post note;
I wrote to the dealer that tried to rip me off explaning the situation, suggesting that their diagnosing skill might use a little honing and if they were honest and fair with costomers they would have more service work than they could handle. Poeple would recommend them to all their friends, etc. As you can imagine I received no response.

Not two months later that dealership was brought up on 13 counts of fraud by the auto repair bureau. Not much longer after that they sold to a new owner.

Go figure.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
I still wouldn't trust the dealer.

Where do you live that you need to go up mountain passes so often?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Im back to Bars Leak "Head Gasket Repair." Initially, and after reading post on here I thought it would not work. According to company it will work on Norstar engines. Im going to post another to survey.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
After finding out GM wont help us a bit, I called for help locally. Specialty shop tells me no engines available anywhere for 94 STS, and no blocks, and no heads, and no overhaul parts either. They can take her apart, and put gaskets on and thats basically it. Same story dealer told me as well. Wonder why no Norstar engines available for my car? No heads? No blocks? Why no more support from Cadillac?

Really leaving me few options. Going in Friday for second shop to look at the coolant loss problem. Got to double check dealers claim of Gas in coolant before I move on to next step. Will keep posted.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
rfishing said:
....Specialty shop tells me no engines available anywhere for 94 STS, and no blocks, and no heads, and no overhaul parts either. They can take her apart, and put gaskets on and thats basically it. Same story dealer told me as well. Wonder why no Norstar engines available for my car? No heads? No blocks? Why no more support from Cadillac?.......
Sounds fishy to me. If you do a search on the internet I'd bet you'll find someone with a rebuilt engine that matches yours. These engines are not that rare and are still widely in use today. I'm sure major engine componants are available. It sounds to me like you are talking to the wrong people so far. I don't think these people want to help you at all. I think they just want to help themselves.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I called yet another place today, they checked around and could not find any rebuilt engines for 94 STS. Did find a used engine from wrecking yard with 81k miles, total to install price would be $$$4564.09 and that includes 12 month / 12k warranty.

Not sure if used engine is leaking or what.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Internet search tools are wonderful. This took me all of 2 minutes to find;

http://www.atk-engines.com/index.cfm

They list a rebuilt 4.6 for a 94 Seville for $245 + 345 for cost and core deposit.

You're welcome.... :halo:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Local mechanic says, gas is in coolant as well. Going to add bars leak coolant supplemental tabs this afternoon, and again tomorrow. He thinks that will slow the leak down, until I decide what to do. Keep posting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Mechanic added Bars Leak GM Tabs to the radiator black tank, with radiator cap on it (not the radiator, or hose). I questioned them about that and they told me it would be fine putting the stuff in there. I just took cap off and the stuff is clumped up inside there. What to do?

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
rfishing said:
Mechanic added Bars Leak GM Tabs to the radiator black tank, with radiator cap on it (not the radiator, or hose). I questioned them about that and they told me it would be fine putting the stuff in there. I just took cap off and the stuff is clumped up inside there. What to do?
You ask to see his credentials and tell him to put the tabs in the lower radiator hose like you're supposed to. While you look through the phone book for a different, more knowlegable mechanic.

Later on you might want to flush the gunk out of your resovoir tank.

Hey if you really need a new engine and can't find one, just get a VIN y engine and keep your intake cams.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts