Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad's 2003 DTS coolant level alert came on his dash and there was still half in the reservoir, the coolant was changed a year ago but how full should the reservoir be? I don't have the manual handy but all the thing says is "do not overfill" so I put it to a little more than half. Here are the before pics

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There's a FULL COLD line on the tank, about half way up, where the tank halves meet. If the coolant is about there, and the message is on, the float in the tank is stuck. Pretty common.

Sometimes you can free it by removing the tank, filling it with hot water, and shaking it. But more often then not, you'll need to replace it. Amazon usually has the best prices.

----------

Also FWIW, if you overfill it, the extra coolant will just drain out of the overflow hose.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MoistCabbage said:
There's a FULL COLD line on the tank, about half way up, where the tank halves meet. If the coolant is about there, and the message is on, the float in the tank is stuck. Pretty common. Sometimes you can free it by removing the tank, filling it with hot water, and shaking it. But more often then not, you'll need to replace it. Amazon usually has the best prices. ---------- Also FWIW, if you overfill it, the extra coolant will just drain out of the overflow hose.
there is a float in the coolant reservoir tank? First I heard of that, ok thanks

----------

Ok I just read that it can be tapped lightly with a rubber hammer and that can make it return

----------

We're laughing that the car suggests we "change the headlights"

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,824 Posts
the love tap with a rubber mallet worked once for me. Removing and cleaning with hot water worked once for me for about three months. Finally gave in and ordered a new one. Courtesy of Basscat here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

"change the headlights"? New one on me. You sure it didn't say "Headlights Suggested"?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1969byrdman said:
the love tap with a rubber mallet worked once for me. Removing and cleaning with hot water worked once for me for about three months. Finally gave in and ordered a new one. Courtesy of Basscat here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER "change the headlights"? New one on me. You sure it didn't say "Headlights Suggested"?
Hmm K. And that's a dead link

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,824 Posts
the link was working last night; maybe they sold the last one. Anyway, on Amazon search on "coolant recovery tank" for the Dorman part. Usually $60-65.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1969byrdman said:
the link was working last night; maybe they sold the last one. Anyway, on Amazon search on "coolant recovery tank" for the Dorman part. Usually $60-65.
k cool,many I checked the Amazon.ca real fast but no results, I'm limited to the Canadian one but I probably have to change my wording :p. When I needed a trunk "pull down" motor there were tons on Amazon for around $50-100

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
9 out of 10 times, once you get a CHECK COOLANT message and the level is where it is supposed to be, you're in for a tank change sooner or latter.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,529 Posts
Your pictures clearly show the FULL COLD legend molded into the tank top, as well as the flat arrow which leads down to about the tank midseam area.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Submariner409 said:
Your pictures clearly show the FULL COLD legend molded into the tank top, as well as the flat arrow which leads down to about the tank midseam area.
I don't see where it says "full cold" so to know that I might have had to find the owners manual. It's as bad as my 2005 Buick. Even the manual isn't that clear on it

----------

Ranger said:
9 out of 10 times, once you get a CHECK COOLANT message and the level is where it is supposed to be, you're in for a tank change sooner or latter.
I'm thinking GM cheaper out on these things. We're talking g about a 10,000 mile car here and I wouldn't like it if it was mine, at least until 60,000 or so haha

----------

Submariner409 said:
oh now I get it. It's different than all our older GM cars with lines exactly where the level should be

----------

1969byrdman said:
still curious about the headlight message.
dad said it popped up on the dash and it said that changing headlights are recommended. Of course both are fine so no one is going to take it seriously

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
None of the bulbs in these cars are monitored. The only light related message is headlamps suggested.

It will come in when its dark out and twilight sentinel is off, or if RainSense is on and twilight sentinel is off.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
None of the bulbs in these cars are monitored. The only light related message is headlamps suggested. It will come in when its dark out and twilight sentinel is off, or if RainSense is on and twilight sentinel is off.
do you want to ask my dad!!?? He is 80 years old but you can ask him then! It suggested changing his bulbs! I'm not wasting time on you

----------

Submariner409 said:
If you took those pictures in Post #1, then you're blind as a bat.
it says FULL COLD on TOP, but how is anyone supposed to KNOW that is an "arrow" pointing across the top and down the side because 1) it does not look like an arrow and 2) you have to GUESS where it ends because it is not like the reservoir tanks of long ago with a clear FULL HOT and FULL COLD on the side where the level sits and you can CLEARLY see it

----------

MoistCabbage said:
None of the bulbs in these cars are monitored. The only light related message is headlamps suggested. It will come in when its dark out and twilight sentinel is off, or if RainSense is on and twilight sentinel is off.
and also his Auto Headlights are always on, so don't shoot the messenger then!

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
??? Woah there. I wasn't being argumentative. Not poking fun or calling anyone a liar. Wasn't looking for you to "waste your time" with a reply, I was just posting information.

Either you misheard him or he misread it. Look through the manual if you'd like, the lights aren't monitored. My point was, don't waste time wondering if there's an electrical problem causing a bulb warning, there is no such warning.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Submariner409 said:
If you took those pictures in Post #1, then you're blind as a bat.
just a reminder, you can read above where I said "ok I got it" and then you posted this.

MoistCabbage said:
??? Woah there. I wasn't being argumentative. Not poking fun or calling anyone a liar. Wasn't looking for you to "waste your time" with a reply, I was just posting information. Either you misheard him or he misread it. Look through the manual if you'd like, the lights aren't monitored. My point was, don't waste time wondering if there's an electrical problem causing a bulb warning, there is no such warning.
on then. No worries, he might have "misread" something but all I know is what he told me. Thanks for you help. This thread has served its purpose

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.