Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my coolant level has lowered a little within the past week or so. It used to read right at the full hot line when hot and full cold when cold.

Now when hot it reads slightly lower than full cold. Is this something to be concerned about?

=\

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
It's not the end of the world. I'd say to just top it off and then keep a close eye on it. Be on the lookout for leaks, and if that temperature gauge even touches higher than normal STOP. :lol:

----------

Also, you should totally clean the tank out. That's groaty. :mad2:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know it's dirty. I'm finishing up some body work then I'm gonna replace the tank.

In gonna keep a close eye on it for sure. Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
FWIW, your car has a simple coolant reservoir. A surge tank is a pressurized part of the cooling system with a small, constant flow in and out.

Just a technical correction.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool moist thanks for the info. You think it's no big deal?

If it keeps dropping and I have to add I'm gonna start the serious trouble shooting. About to roll over to 87k

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
If it keeps dropping and I have to add I'm gonna start the serious trouble shooting.
That's exactly what I'd be doing. Just keep an eye on it and if it keeps dropping, pay attention when you park to the ground underneath, peek at the radiator to see if you've got any wetness around there, hoses, etc.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,853 Posts
Cool moist thanks for the info. You think it's no big deal?

If it keeps dropping and I have to add I'm gonna start the serious trouble shooting. About to roll over to 87k
=========================
you DO have a problem -
and it DOES need your attention - immediately -
=====================

unlike the newer models -
your coolant reservoir is not under pressure -

also - unlike the newer models -
your radiator has a pressure cap -

your radiator should always be absolutely full - cold - or hot -
to the point of loosing a little coolant
whenever you remove the cap - cold - of course -

as the coolant heats up - it expands -
the "extra" coolant overflows into the reservoir -

when the antifreeze cools - it contracts -
and actually forms a vacuum in the radiator -
and sucks the "extra" coolant back into the radiator -

the problem starts when you break that cycle -
and allow air to be sucked into the radiator -

you can no longer depend on the level of coolant in the reservoir -

it could show full cold -
and the radiator could be a gallon low -

====================

bottom line is you DO have a leak -
and it MUST be fixed - ASAP -

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for as freaked as I am after reading your comment bass, I think there mightve been a little air in the system that finally worked its way out. I dont see any moisture that looks like its leaking

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
A slow leak won't necessarily produce wet spots the coolant can just evaporate before you see it. As posted, keep an eye on it. If it keeps getting lower, you have a leak.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.

Pic for Brandon ;) hot today before I replaced the tank was reading right at the line.

Keeping an eye on it. Thanks again

·
19,853 Posts
Thanks guys.

Pic for Brandon ;) hot today before I replaced the tank was reading right at the line.

Keeping an eye on it. Thanks again
-------------------------------

just remember -

if there IS a leak in the cooling system -
the reservoir could be full -
and the radiator could be empty -

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks bass. Radiator level looks good.

Plus I took a 500 mild road trip two weeks ago and the temp was between 90-94 degrees Celsius the whole way :thumbsup:

·
19,853 Posts
Thanks bass. Radiator level looks good.

Plus I took a 500 mild road trip two weeks ago and the temp was between 90-94 degrees Celsius the whole way :thumbsup:
============================
the temp was between 90-94 degrees Celsius the whole way
HOLY CRAP - what planet were you on?
that's around 200 degrees Fahrenheit -

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ranger said:
I think he meant engine temp.
Yeah, engine temp was implied considering this is a thread about cooling systems. Confusion is rampant.

I'm sweaty enough as it is ha

----------

Would have thought that one was obvious ;)

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
My Roadmaster lost fluid from the tank (and radiator, of course) for years, and I couldn't figure it out. There were no puddles, and I couldn't find wet spots, but I could smell antifreeze and it was definitely going SOMEWHERE. I replaced hoses and resealed gaskets, and it didn't change the situation. I finally figured it out when, after looking over every component of the system, off and on for four years, the pin-hole in the radiator had gotten big enough that there was a drop of antifreeze formed. I'm guessing the rest of the time it was coming out in the form of steam? I can't be sure. But once I replaced the radiator, not only did it quit losing fluid, but it started running at a lower and more consistent temperature. That was in last spring or summer. I'm starting to get an occasional whiff of antifreeze again and the level will slowly move down, so I assume it's time to start the process all over again. Just one of those things with old cars that have old parts I guess, but for me, still better than a payment.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Roadmaster lost fluid from the tank (and radiator, of course) for years, and I couldn't figure it out. There were no puddles, and I couldn't find wet spots, but I could smell antifreeze and it was definitely going SOMEWHERE. I replaced hoses and resealed gaskets, and it didn't change the situation. I finally figured it out when, after looking over every component of the system, off and on for four years, the pin-hole in the radiator had gotten big enough that there was a drop of antifreeze formed. I'm guessing the rest of the time it was coming out in the form of steam? I can't be sure. But once I replaced the radiator, not only did it quit losing fluid, but it started running at a lower and more consistent temperature. That was in last spring or summer. I'm starting to get an occasional whiff of antifreeze again and the level will slowly move down, so I assume it's time to start the process all over again. Just one of those things with old cars that have old parts I guess, but for me, still better than a payment.
hell yeah to that last part, theres the style aspect as well. have you used UV dye to look for the leak?

Since Ive replaced the tank the level has been as its respective line spot on when hot and cold so Im happy. gonna keep an eye on it anyway though.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I haven't tried the UV dye. I really should. Thing is, the car's a 1993 model, so there's no telling how old the hoses are on it that I didn't personally replace, and I've driven it six years. Some of the ones I replaced in the beginning probably need replacing again. So I'll just start the process all over again. Since replacing your tank fixed your problem, I'd imagine that either your tank had a tiny split at the seam (I see that all the time in the parts store) or maybe on of the hoses at the tank was loose.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it was just air trapped in the system that worked its way out finally. The hose on the tank was on there really well so I don't think that was leaking. Plus on occasion I could hear burbling in the heater core area for a few seconds at a time which is a sign of air in the cooling system. The new tank didn't fit as perfect as the old one (mounting brackets were a little stressed when I tightened them down) but it's nice to have a brand new clean reservoir.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts