2004 CTS V 1968 Fleetwood 60S
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever run into a coolant leak that comes and goes?​
I got a "check coolant" message twice and topped off the
reservoir both times and I noticed a mist of coolant on the chassis
near the bottom of the radiator.

Now, there appears to be no leak and there has
been no message in over 400 miles! Hmmmm......

·
Registered
2011 Raven CTS-V Coupe
248 Posts
I also had the mysterious "Check Coolant Level" message a few times in the last week. Checked it out and the overflow tank was still full, so I took it in for service. Here is the report:

SHORTED COOLANT LEVEL SWITCH J3260 1.9 CHECKOUT AND REPLACED COOLANT RESIVOIR TOPPED COOLANT LEVEL OFF TEST DROVE OK.

PART NUMBER 25769371 TANK

They also replaced the MAF sensor (25318411) because the car was throwing an air flow code. We'll see if either of these fixes a problem...

·
Registered
2007 Yukon Denali / 2009 G8 GT
347 Posts
I had a problem with a hose the dealer replaced. My wife mentioned she saw the light come back on a day or two ago but ai haven't seen it reappear yet.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
I had the same problem right after the dealer installed the supercharger. I had them top off the coolant the first time. After that, it took only a few weeks before I saw the warning come up on the screen. I let it go thinking it was just a bad sensor because the reservior was at the limit. This went on for a week or so. This past Friday I decide to go to the road course for some fun. I get to the track and open my hood before I go full throttle. I notice a little coolant splashed in the engine bay. I begin to look around. I found that under that large plastic cover that sits over the radiator there was a small hose about 1/4-3/8" thick that was dangling off the edge of the nipple of the radiator. I plugged it back in and snapped the clip back on it. I think my issue was something that was left that way due to the install of the supercharger. Either way, it doesn't hurt for you guys to take a look under there. The repair could be that simple. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate all of the suggestions, If only the dealer could be this helpful!
How critical is the type of coolant that you use in the V? I topped off the tank with some older style coolant. I did not add much and it would be easy to remove. I did not want to drive the V while it was it was low on coolant and this older formula was all that I had on hand.
Is this a big problem?
Dave

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
It's not a problem... Just need to flush the system out completely... Dex-cool, which is what you have in your car, is not compatible with the older "regular" coolant...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Velose,

What'd the dealer charge you to install the blower? And did they commit to anything re: warranty? Did they say they'd still honor the warrany on all parts, or will it void the powertrain warranty? Tracy is a good drive from Berkeley, but if I could find me a dealer that'd install the Maggie AND let me keep the warranty, I'd find the $ quick and head North :)

Skeeter

·
Registered
86 Posts
Velose,

For some reason I can post but not get to my PMs :( Otherwise I'd have asked you offline. Tells me I don't have permission to view the page... ARGH!

Sorry to soak up all the bandwidth, folks...

Skeeter

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Hi Skeeter,

I felt it was proper to shoot you a PM instead. Your questions were off topic for that thread.

Anyhow, the dealer charged me $1000 to install the Maggie. They said they would still honor my warranty because they installed the supercharger. However, they did disclose to me that any other dealer not them, might decide to void it if I ran into problems traveling. So, if you breakdown in say, Los Angeles and you take it to a dealer there, the service writer could make the decision to not cover what's broken under warranty. It's still somewhat of a gamble, and I do mean in the long run. These guys will install it and not void your warranty but, if you have something go wrong in your area, you might not get a service writer that will be willing to take care of you. That means if you needed serious warranty work like a rearend, you'd be better off taking it back to Tracy for them to cover it.

I hope this info. helped. Let me know if you have additional questions.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V FG2, BB, CAI...
122 Posts
my v is at the local dealer right now getting the radiator replaced...seems it is very common.
B

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks James and Barry:

The ole V goes in next week for a radiator. This has been a
troublesome car, but I still love it. I have an old 98 Lincoln
Continental and 68 Fleetwood that have no issues at all, but the
V is a problem child.

Dave

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V FG2, BB, CAI...
122 Posts
i've got less than 5k...getting a little annoyed now, as it's been at dealer since my post. still no radiator yet, it's on back order.

B

i have racked up a few hundred miles on their '06 DTS though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts