Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a slow coolant leak in my 87 brougham (307 C.I.D.) for about the past two weeks or so. Today I let the engine heat up to the point of where the thermostat would open and began to look around the engine bay to see what I could find. I found the leak but have no idea what the leaky part is called. As best as I could see it is attached to the top of the intake manifold just to the left of the distributor. There are two hoses attached to it that seem to run to the heater core and it looks as though the part is leaking is a vacuum activated diaphram. Can somoene tell me what this part is called so that I may replace/fix it?

Thanks........ :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's a heater control valve. It's like $15 at Autozone. When the one in my Chevelle went bad it slowed the leak to keep the heater on. Thank God it was winter in Ohio. It gave me a couple days to get a replacement. Real common part though. If you have any doubt about what it is, drive it to the parts store and have 1 of the counter guys look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for helping. I looked the part up on parts americas web site (they have pictures of the part your looking for) and it is indeed the heater control valve. However, I will get it at autozone because it is only a block away from me and almost $5.00 cheaper there than anywhere else locally. I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic but being as I have never had one of these go bad, I wasn't sure what to ask for when I went to the parts counter. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts