Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 2 months i've been finding anti-freeze on the passenger side of the car in front of the wheel. Finally had some good weather so I checked it out and found out that the upper radiator hose was swollen and frayed on the passenger side where it goes into the radiator. Naturally i thought this was where the leak was coming from so I changed the hose. Before changing there was a constant drip coming from up under the car once i changed the hose and let the car run everything seemed fine. Now even before this the car never overheated, the temp dial would go a little pass the half-way mark but would go back once the fans kicked on or i pulled off. checked the driveway this morning and i still got antifreeze on the driveway. the drip is coming from the top of the radiator by the upper hose but i can't find the leak. any ideas:banghead:

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
It's possible there is a crack in the radiator. I replaced mine this weekend for exactly that - slow leak coming from where the hose connects - spotting the garage on the passenger side below the a/c compressor.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,941 Posts
Radiator side tanks are common leak points. Dried Dex leaves a chalky white telltale residue.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll have to look at it this weekend. the spot on the driveway isnt' large as before but my check coolant level came on when i pulled up at the job today. question: can the side tank be replaced or is it the whole thing. i know i replaced the radiator on my 97 STS and it ran me $500 plus

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Why waste the time or energy, replacement radiators are about 175 bucks.
Go on ebay and they are under $100. I got one for my S10 blazer because of a cracked side tank and it was $49.00! Works fine so far and looks just like the GM one.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Limited Edition
225 Posts
I had the same problem last year, the top of the rad tank had cracked (passenger side), cost me $150.00 for a new rad and 3 hours of my own time to remove and replace the rad. The hardest part was getting the old rad out. Had to remove the headlights for the extra room. Had to watch the air con rad too and move it forward (away from the engine) to get an extra inch of clearance as I did not want to have to have it regassed. Also had to remove the small pipe that connects to the generator from the bottom of the rad as it's liquid cooled. Not sure if the 2000 is the same with a liquid cooled generator.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem last year, the top of the rad tank had cracked (passenger side), cost me $150.00 for a new rad and 3 hours of my own time to remove and replace the rad. The hardest part was getting the old rad out. Had to remove the headlights for the extra room. Had to watch the air con rad too and move it forward (away from the engine) to get an extra inch of clearance as I did not want to have to have it regassed. Also had to remove the small pipe that connects to the generator from the bottom of the rad as it's liquid cooled. Not sure if the 2000 is the same with a liquid cooled generator.
yeah i found one on Rock Auto for about the same price didn't think of checking Ebay. Might as well go ahead and fork out the cash because i'll be done bought one for what dex-cool wil cost me if it keeps leaking. is the job hard to do i don't have the liquid cooled alternator? i know there is hardly no space i busted my knuckles replacing the hose.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
You do have a liquid cooled alternator if your have an orignal alternator, but thats just a 3/8" hose on a barb sticking out of the rear side of the passenger side tank. Its not a tough job, except GM seems to take great pleasure in positioning the radiator spring clamps in positions that you can't get a pair of pliers on. All you need to do is disconnect the top and bottom radiator hoses , the water cooled alternator hose, oil cooler lines and transmission cooler lines (both have little clip connectors - don't loose the clips) and remove the clips that hold the fans to the radiator. You may need to loosen the A/C condenser brackets and possibly remove the hood latch support but their pretty simple. Just lean the fans back and lift straight up on the radiator, it will come out.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,748 Posts
Did the liquid cooled alternator carry over into 2000 ? I don't think so.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
My 2000 STS has a hose that runs from the radiator to the alternator. From what I've read I thought the liquid cooled system ran in '99 and '00? I don't ever remember reading if the '98 models had it or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody know if these discussions apply to my 2001 Eldorado? I also have a right side passenger leak. Seems to be 12-18 in. back of radiator..

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,748 Posts
Does anybody know if these discussions apply to my 2001 Eldorado? I also have a right side passenger leak. Seems to be 12-18 in. back of radiator..
2001 does not have a liquid cooled alternator, and the water pump is on the driver's end of the engine. If you're seeing coolant drips from behind the radiator on the passenger side, then some place on the radiator or top hose is leaking; coolant is pooling on the lower air deflector and running rearward. How often do you have to add coolant to maintain the correct level at halfway up in the reservoir, cold ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I add fluid about once a month. Thanks for the info. I will inspect further on right side-radiator or hose. Leaks when standing after driving about 1 pint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts