Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just bought this 1976 deville the engine is a 500 with a 4bbl carb, after i drove the car last night the engine was leaking coolant, i could not notice where it was coming from but it was not from the hoses, radiator or the water pump, the engine has 94,000 miles on it and i am hoping it is not a head gasket leak or a coolant plug leak any suggestions. thanks

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Make sure none of the hoses are leaking..... There are quite a few hoses you may not be able to see..... If it was a bad head gasket, you would probably see white smoke also....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i will look under the car this sunday, are there really that many coolant hoses under my engine, it doesn't look like there would be. i am just hoping it is not that serious. a simple hose would be a blessing.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
How much coolant is leaking???? If its oodles of coolant, then definitely get in there and see whats up....... But if its just a few drops then it can hold off until you get time.... Just make sure you keep and eye on the coolant level!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well just looked under the engine and it seems like it is coming from the coolant plug on the drivers side of the engine block. coolant leaks when ever the engine is on and it seems like it is a good size leak. has anybody had this done or has done this good on their caddy.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You will probably have to replace the plug..... Sounds easy, but if its partially broken in there, that could be not fun..

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Well it wouldnt be too hard, you would probably just have to get a dremel and force it out of there.... But the question is can you get a dremel up there........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well just got a quote from my mechanic and he said he would do it for 140 so that seems like the best deal to get the 500 beast back on the road, thanks for the help

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
2 Participants
dave383