Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 delegance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About six months ago I typed in here about a coolant leak on my 1999 Cadillac Deville d'Elegance. I had a bunch of suggestions and ideas but could never produce a leak. Well now my car has overheated twice. both times is because of low coolant. Well finally I have found the coolant leak. When the car is under load or when I rev it up in driveway at around 3500 RPMS the coolant comes pouring out of the over flow bottle tube. So I have determined that I don't have a 50/50 mix of antifreeze.............it is only good for +5 degrees above zero. I am also wondering IF I need to replace the thermostat........it was replaced a year ago. The car when the coolant is at the right level seems to ride around 209 degrees. I am really needing help here to figure out WHY I am losing coolant through the overflow tube. In 2 days I have had to add 3/4 of a galllon of water. The dreaded Head Gasket problem is NOT what the problem is. There is no antifreeze mixed with oil.

Thank-you ahead of time for your help!!!!

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
1stimecaddy; said:
= The dreaded Head Gasket problem is NOT what the problem is. There is no antifreeze mixed with oil.
It sure sounds like it is head gaskets. Whoever told you that there has to be coolant in the oil is WRONG!

Start by having an exhaust gas test done at a radiator shop.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Listen to Zonie. Also check that the cap is holding pressure, the purge line is not clogged and the water pump belt tensioner is not slipping.

·
Registered
1999 delegance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when I did pressure tests before the vehicle is not losing pressure and I thought even with a leaking head gasket it still would lose pressure via into a cylinder.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
What pressure test did you do? Cyl pressure that puts 100+ psi into the cylinder or a compression test?

Cyl pressure should show a leak but may not.

A compression test probably will not show an initial head gasket leak.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
The purge line is the 3/8" line that runs from the water pump housing to the surge tank.

If you did a cooling system pressure test, that only pumps the cooling system up to about 15 psi. That may not be enough to push coolant through a breach in it's early stages as opposed to 125 psi in the revers direction (cylinder to the water jacket).

·
Registered
1999 delegance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok..............I am going to be stubborn and change the thermostat. would one of you be so kind as to post a diagram of where it is and how to do it? I feel stupid I can't seem to find where the thermostat might be located. I am going to drain my radiator and then replace the cap. And if I still have the same problem then I guess at that point I will part ways with the car. Not interested in forking out the amount of money it will take for replacing the head gasket.

As always thanks everyone for your help. This is the best group I have been in as far as getting the answers.

D

·
0 Posts
ok..............I am going to be stubborn and change the thermostat. would one of you be so kind as to post a diagram of where it is and how to do it? I feel stupid I can't seem to find where the thermostat might be located. I am going to drain my radiator and then replace the cap. And if I still have the same problem then I guess at that point I will part ways with the car. Not interested in forking out the amount of money it will take for replacing the head gasket.

As always thanks everyone for your help. This is the best group I have been in as far as getting the answers.
Dont waste your time man, this is exactly what I went through when my '98 Deville blew its head gasket. I changed the water pump/tstat,cap, put more coolant, basically tried everything. Its a head gasket failure. When I sold it, I fully disclosed the car had blown headgasket(s) and I got $1600 for it. That after dumping almost $8k into it that same year. Live and learn. Its sucks that many buy these cars as their first Cadillacs cause it leaves a real bad impression of Cadillacs but truth is it just made me appreciate the older Cadillacs that much more. Good luck!.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
I feel stupid I can't seem to find where the thermostat might be located.
It's where the lower radiator hose attaches to the engine.

·
Registered
1999 delegance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok ............well it's official my first Cadillac ended up being a peice of crap. Never again will I own another Cadillac. Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
Wow, I am sorry to hear that! It is surely a bad let down. I do understand you not wanting to buy another caddy. I can say that all caddy's are not bad. I have a 1997 Seville and it has been great to me. Just the average up keep to it. Hopefully one day you will come across another one that will change your mind about Caddy's. Good luck!

David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts