Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 sedan deville
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all . been reading the many post here and helpfull information .

I need a bit of advice on my 1996 Deville with 169,000 miles on her. Purchased it from my My 80 year old mom who had it for 5 five years and she got it from another older lady .

Car runs great , had to do a lot of minor stuff to it but noticed the hose's look like they could be changed . I was looking at one hose that went from the water pump to a tube and then to a short hose and a tube to the throttlle body I think. Some idiot relpaced the hose with a piece of garden hose so that has to be replaced .

I know she had the water pump and raditior replaced last year and who ever worked on it put in the green coolant . The car has no overheating problems what so ever but I want to replace all the hoses and flush the system .

Should I just stay with the green stuff or would it be worthwhile to try to complelty rid the system of that and put in dexcool .

already had to replace the brakes , engine struts , swaybar end links and frame bushings ,oil presure switch , oil level switch , heater fan motor and it could use new struts and shocks .

I do get the dreaded pc717 transmission code when the car is cold but it clears out when warm .

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
DEX-COOL or good ol' Green Goddess - your call. Regardless, hedge your bets and change the coolant religiously every 3 years. 1996 was the GM changeover to DEX-COOL, so that car probably was delivered with it in the system.

Study up on purge lines, proper coolant levels, proper oils and oil levels, and think seriously about changing ALL the coolant hoses and vacuum lines (all vacuum lines and elbows) - and you'll find proper sized rubber vacuum tubing and connectors on the Help! racks at auto parts stores. Any of the plastic vacuum lines may be replaced with proper sized tubing. Cheap.

Your brake and suspension replacements, at 169,000 miles, are just the tip of the iceberg. Be VERY suspect of the accessory drive and water pump drive belt tensioners and idler pulleys.

Go way up ^^^ in the top black bar and study the entire Cadilac Technical Archive. Necessary coolant and oil info, among others .........

·
Registered
1996 sedan deville
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I figured I will be putting a lot in to this car . good thing is it is not for commuting to work just for pleasure . I did replace the belts both the main belt and water pump belt . Going to tackle all the hoses this week and start with the vacum lines. I have nothing in the car except for what I have put in to it for repairs . I belive I replaced the water pump idler when the water pump was done but not too sure. When she had the radaitor replaced the shop said thats what was leaking and replaced it but the car still was loosing coolant and I checked it and found the water pump was bad .

has the normal oil leaks but Going to replace the oil filter adaptor oring too . the oil preasure switch was leaking .

The car had dexcool when it was new . and I bet it has spent its last 10 years on the green stuff .

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
The car had dexcool when it was new . and I bet it has spent its last 10 years on the green stuff .
Not a problem.

I was looking at one hose that went from the water pump to a tube and then to a short hose and a tube to the throttlle body I think. Some idiot relpaced the hose with a piece of garden hose so that has to be replaced .
Can't picture exactly which hose you are talking about, but "idiot" would be a good term to describe the part changer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts