Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 02 base
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my coolant flushed at the dealer but they only charged me for one part number 12346290 which is one gallon of coolant. Will this "flush" last another few (5) years or should I have it done (flushed) again sooner. It seems to me they did not change all the fluid. Is that correct? 02 Deville Base. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
1 gallon of coolant + 1 gallon of water = 2 gallons of 50/50 collant water mix. Change it every 5 yrs or sooner.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 02 base
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ranger. I just checked my manual and it says the radiator capacity is 12.5 qts. So i guess a little of the old coolant was left in and that is OK?

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
Yeah, you never get ALL of the coolant out. You're fine.

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
The factory stopped using them at some point. My '03 did not have them and makes no mention of them.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
No not Ok, WTF Ranger, with all the coolant conversations we have had I know you know better than that ????? if you have a real flush they push all out all the old coolant and replace with new, If you only had a drain and refil then yes you may have got what you paid for. A flush is about $100 and with that you get all the coolant pushed out, a chemical clean circulated throught the entire system and then all the chemical pushed out and all the antifreeze is repalced (12.5 qts). I skip the chem clean myself as caustic eats aluminum. But like I said if you only got a drain & fill then I would do it again soon to get the corroion inhibitors back to full strength.

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
Smarter people than I have said that a drain and refill is just fine.

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
No, he was a GM powertrain engineer who was involved in the development and testing of the Northstar.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Did he also develope Dexcool LOL. So this engineer says it is Ok to only replace 1/2 the coolant every 5 years. Does that mean when you have warranty coolant related problems and your recipts only show you changed 1/2 they will still stand behind it. BTW, ask him why they didn't solve the head gasket issues yet???

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Did he also help invent dexcool? How does only changing 60% of the coolant make any sense at all? I could see DIYS doing that then driving a few miles and doing it again then maybe one more time so you end up basically new for less than a real flush but otherwise how can you be sure you are gettring the proper corrosion protection? Especially with that being the maion thing blamed for the head gasket issues?

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
I think he was somewhat involved with the development of Dex, though I am not positive. I do recall him mentioning that he talked with the developers. All I can tell you is what he said. I am sure others here remember it as well. Nothing wrong with your method of doing it 2 or 3 time if you are that worried about it. Even he suggested that to those who posed your concerns. Wish I had saved his posts.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Thanks I just think if mac1uas1 paid for a flush the whole thing should have been powerflush with 100% new. If he paid for a drain & fill then he got what he paid for. I personally want to do all I can to protect the headgasket so I want it all new every 2 years and I use norosion to boot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts