Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 CTS with 165,000KLMS, in a short 2 klm drive dumped most of coolant on ground, with some oil, bottom of car is dripping of oil, I suspect its tranny fluid.

Car just stopped, Drivers info centre read "COOLANT LOW" I refilled with Dexcool, engine is covered in dexcool from what ever caused leak/dump.

Wife was driving, when I arrived car would start fine, after refill of dexcool, and sounded ok, but could not get it to move forward or reverse (its auto trans)

Would a CTS 3.2 L engine have a Transcooler, that is connected to RAD, if I blew a radline or hose, could it take out tranny?

Car wil be going to Dealer. but would like to get some suggestions from other owners.

Thanks

tedscts

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Me?? I would seriously consider doing a quick inexpensive fix for coolant leak (if that is possible.) Then I would arrange for a dealer friend to take it to an auction. (I do not like high mileage cars; too much maint and repair.) Now, if you are a sharp mechanic, the story might be different.

I hope you have gotten a ton of enjoyment out of your CTS. It is a great car. If you get another one, avoid the 05 and 06, as they have timing chain problems. If still in warranty, you are ok. If not, ......

04 is a great model, especially the 3.6.

·
Registered
03 CTS
359 Posts
Yes there is a trans cooler on the car. It is part of the rad. I had my cooler line come loose and then suck all the coolant into the trans. Sounds like the same thing that has happened to you. Don't drive it anywhere. I put a used trans in mine. Did it in the driveway. Coolant and transmissions don't mix very well so whatever you do get it looked at.

·
Registered
Cadillac
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer confirmed Trans line to Rad broke off, dumped oil from Trans, and coolant, calls for new Rad, trans cool lines from GM are $400.00 plus labor makes for a very expensive break.

Not sure at this point if auto trans damaged from lack of oil, until rad replaced and new lines ,and tranny service filter and new oil, 50/50 guess.

If tranny does not function properly, will go to Auto Trans shop to fix just damaged bits, rather than GM who will want to replace whole tranny, then dump car

This is something that is never checked by dealer, or other service shop, as hoses are hidden behind panel, and Dexcool was changed every 24 months.

These 3.2 liter engines have some design flaws, timing belt, thermostate in very poor location.

Will be sticking to good old V8 in future with fuel management system, as they are much easier to service.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
tedscts, dont worry, the exact same thing happened to me last year in february with my 05 with 3.6l. They had to change to entire radiator. The transmission, when the problem occured, wasn't working when in gears. It was slipping a lot. I've made 62k miles since then and problem's free! Each car has their pros and cons!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts