Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My low coolant warning came on today. I don't have a puddle on my garage floor, I don't see steam coming out the exhaust, I don't smell burnt coolant, and the oil doesn't look milky. STRANGE

This [post] make reference to the quick connect failing on the line below the EGR. Does this mean you need a new hose, or is there something you can fix inside the quick connect itself? (I haven't checked that for leak yet - just researching).

This car is 19 years old, but I had the engine pulled and the head bolts replaced with studs (at Northstar specialty shop in Ontario Canada). They said they replaced gaskets - just not sure if that includes water crossover gaskets. I sure hope so....

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
A common problem is the radiator side tanks crack and seep coolant. It can evaporate before it drips. Look for a chalky white telltale residue from dried Dex-Cool.

Also check for a crack at the purge line nipple on the surge tank. My '97 had a crack there, but only showed up when at operating temperature and under pressure.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
The referenced coolant line is a quick-connect and metal pipe for the hot coolant supply to the heater core. If it leaks it LEAKS.

Northstars with failing head gaskets due to loss of head bolt clamping pressure do not normally mix oil and coolant or vice versa.

Correct coolant level, ambient cold, is about half full in the surge tank - see the legend and arrow molded into the top of the tank.

Fluid levels should be checked AT LEAST every 2 weeks. 4T80E transmission maybe at 6 months.

Do this "butt plug" to make weekly underhood checks and maintenance easier. It's a black PVC pipe cap and clamp from any hardware store.

Butt plug & air box 2 notes.JPG

·
Registered
2001 STS
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run the Green universal coolant (in case that impacts leaving a residue)

I could not find any sign of leakage upon inspection (of cold engine). So I cleaned it up and I'll have to check again hot, and also monitor coolant consumption rate.

What is the "normal" rate of coolant consumption/disappearance for this engine?

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,266 Posts
I run the Green universal coolant (in case that impacts leaving a residue)

I could not find any sign of leakage upon inspection (of cold engine). So I cleaned it up and I'll have to check again hot, and also monitor coolant consumption rate.

What is the "normal" rate of coolant consumption/disappearance for this engine?
why would you check it hot?

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,360 Posts
Coolant cross overs too. Leaks there and doesn't leave a puddle.

·
Registered
2001 STS
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
why would you check it hot?
The system would be under greater pressure hot - so more chance of a pinhole leak weeping liquid when hot. (Is that assumption incorrect?)

Coolant cross overs too. Leaks there and doesn't leave a puddle.
I can't even squeeze a mirror down there (other than near firewall)..so I'll have to disassemble a bit for a better look

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,360 Posts
Its going to sound a little nuts. If you are physically able, get a step stool and climb right on the damn engine. Just be careful of the plastic vacuum line. If you kneel on the engine cover, you'll be able to get your head back far enough to take a look back there. You could also wedge a paper towel back there and see if it comes back wet.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
Post #4 -

"Green" coolant is perfectly satisfactory if it is totally exchanged every 3 - 4 years - just as with any other coolant.

Unpressurized coolant boils at 226 degrees - just about where your fans go to SLOW. Messing with a hot engine coolant runs a real risk of flash boilover and severe burns. You would not be anywhere near the first hot coolant casualty.

The "normal" rate of coolant loss or consumption is exactly 0. It's a sealed system - no evaporation or leaks allowed.

·
Registered
05 Deville
401 Posts
Time to get a coolant system pressure tester.
Rent or buy one. Pressurize the system to 18 lb's and start looking for a leak.
My bet is on coolant reservoir tank @ #1
Radiator #2 and
Crossover gaskets #3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts