Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my coolant on my 98 SLS yesterday 2 gallons came out of the radiator I put new coolant in mixed with distilled water 50 -50 and coolant tablets in the lower radiator hose the problem is only one gallon went back in I ran the engine with the heater on it got to normal operating temp I let it cool down and tried to add more coolant but could not there must be an air pocket I dont know what to try next I dont know how anything so simple could get so complicated any help would be appreciated thanks SEVILLE 85

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
There is a small 3/8" line that runs from the water pump to the upper portion of the surge tank. That is the purge line. It's purpose in life is to purge air from the system. Get the RPM up to 3-4K to be sure there is good coolant flow and all the air is purged. After it cools down, with the engine running, pull the line from the tank. Do it when cold so as not to burn yourself as it should discharge coolant. If you have coolant coming out of it, quickly plug it back together as there is no blockage and operating properly. You should not have an air pocket at that time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts