Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to do everything according to the book on my 98 SLS I recently posted on the forum about changing coolant. I bought the Prestone that is DEX-COOL compatible,and distilled water I also stopped at the Cadillac dealer to get the coolant supplement tablets p/n3634621.I was told at the parts counter that the tablets are no longer recommended in a Northstar because they cause the evaporator to become clogged,but if I wanted them I could have them free. by chance the shop supervisor came past and we talked to him about it and he said it would be ok to put 2 tablets in but the reason is they lube the waterpump and have nothing to do with sealing the inside of the engine as people believe. right now I am confused and need the correct information.Thanks SEVILLE 85

·
Registered
298 Posts
SEVILLE 85 said:
I try to do everything according to the book on my 98 SLS I recently posted on the forum about changing coolant. I bought the Prestone that is DEX-COOL compatible,and distilled water I also stopped at the Cadillac dealer to get the coolant supplement tablets p/n3634621.I was told at the parts counter that the tablets are no longer recommended in a Northstar because they cause the evaporator to become clogged,but if I wanted them I could have them free. by chance the shop supervisor came past and we talked to him about it and he said it would be ok to put 2 tablets in but the reason is they lube the waterpump and have nothing to do with sealing the inside of the engine as people believe. right now I am confused and need the correct information.Thanks SEVILLE 85
They are mandatory on the 4.X series and recommended for the NS. The recommended dosage is 6, placed in the lower rad hose, not in the surge tank. All the information you got at the stealership is essentially crap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The evaporator is part of the a/c system it absorbs heat from the interior.The condenser is in the engine compartment and does not have coolant running through it.The dealer is full of S%$T.Flush your radiator, add the tablets and stay clear of that dealership or as DFBonnett says "STEALERSHIP".

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
DFBonnett said:
They are mandatory on the 4.X series and recommended for the NS. The recommended dosage is 6, placed in the lower rad hose, not in the surge tank. All the information you got at the stealership is essentially crap.
:yeah:

I concur completely.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Yes, don't flush, just drain and replenish.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It would be at a time like this I would like to wear a "wire" to record these lies that oooz from these techs. I went to a Firestone center where they service cooling systems and asked about my '99 Eldo N* and what would it cost. The service for a complete flush and change was $69.95. That's where I started to get to the technical questions, such as thermostat removal and replace being included with the "flush" as well as adding the supplement. His reply was as expected, they never remove the thermostat, do not inspect or check it's operation, and they had no clue about the supplement and have never added such a thing to any GM product. Rather than argue with pointing out what is labeled underhood and mention what the manual instructs I just left leaving him bewildered. It is truly amazing what people can get away with at service centers, lube centers, and even the dealerships.
lry99eldo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
lry99eldo