Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Sedan Deville 4.6l v8
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use green coolant on their northstars? I have the 4.6l v8 96 deville will it damge any parts ?

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,154 Posts
the color isn't nearly as important as being meticulous about the level and replacing it regularly especially in 96-99 model years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The silicates from green coolant are they abrasive to the water pump etc. Dexcool does not have silicates i believe. oh also is it true dexcool can damage headgaskets particularly northstars?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,194 Posts
oh also is it true dexcool can damage headgaskets particularly northstars?
NO, I'm still using Dex for 17 years and 128,00 miles with no problems. Dex got blamed for everything from HG's to erectile dysfunction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol But seriously i think the damage was caused by air entering the cooling system while using dexcool so i've read.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,833 Posts
Nothing wrong with Dexcool. Old wive's tail...nothing to see here... move along...

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
The silicates from green coolant are they abrasive to the water pump etc. Dexcool does not have silicates i believe. oh also is it true dexcool can damage headgaskets particularly northstars?
==================
NO - NO -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
ALL "green coolants" went to a low silicate formula quite a while ago. Silicate abrasion is no longer a problem. Run any coolant you desire - orange, red, pink, blue, green, purple - and change it religiously every 3 - 4 years.

Absolutely nothing wrong with DEX-COOL. Here's 2 quarts of 50/50 siphoned out of my engine after 4 years. See anything to cause you anxiety ????

2 quarts coolant 3.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just want to be 100 percent informed. I love these cars and their engines, thanks everyone for the insight

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
981 Posts
Been running dex cool for decades. Trucks have 300k+ without a problem.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,425 Posts
Yup. Dex in the Cadillac and Dex in the Chevrolet, no issues with either the car or the truck!

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 1997 SLS
609 Posts
So what’s the cause for the notorious Dex kill sludge/slime/muddy condition shown on many different vids across the internet? Nearly every single 1 of them the owner swears he’s never added any stop leak to the cooling system.

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
The "cause" is a typical Cadillac owner and their "It's a Cadillac and it don't need no stinkin' service or maintenance!" attitude.

Most of our CF members either know better or are here to learn about their cars.

DEX-COOL (and many others) is/are a very, very good long-life coolant but to exchange it every 5 years is really pushing the envelope. Every 3 to 4 years is better because the additive package won't be as depleted as it would at 5.

Look at your radiator sight shield - does the sticker still call for the additive sealant tablets? Those were discontinued by GM/Cadillac in 2006 and a TSB was issued. The stickers and service manuals were never updated. You find the info in the TSB lists. Continued tablet use builds up sludge in the cooling system as well as clogs small passages like the heater core and purge line, leading to poor coolant flow and overheating. The tablets are discontinued as a part of normal cooling system maintenance and are used only upon specific advice from a GM field rep to alleviate a specific problem.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 1997 SLS
609 Posts
Well like I said, they all clearly state that no kind of stop leak was used, just Dex Cool & distilled water. These are recent videos..

I’m getting ready to change my water pump tensioner, pulley, belt, along with changing out the coolant... It currently has Dex Cool and from what I can see though the reservoir it appears to look good right now... But I’m giving a hard thought about whether to stick with Dex Cool or switch to Green.

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
IF you switch, do several VERY thorough clean water flushes, DEX- and Green Goddess are in NO way compatible,

If you're antsy about DEX- use the LongLife bright yellow fully compatible stuff from Prestone.

If you like blue, use MB coolant; some Caterpillar coolant is purple.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,194 Posts
My '03 never had sealant tabs from the factory. I think they where discontinued before that. It never had a sludge/slime/muddy condition.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 1997 SLS
609 Posts
I’ve been overthinking this for at least a week now.. At this moment I’m leaning towards sticking with Dex Cool if everything looks good upon draining the coolant out. But regardless, even if that’s not the case it would only make switching coolant even more difficult.

It just feels like it’s going to be nearly impossible to flush every last bit of the Dex Cool that’s currently in there, and knowing that might bug me. I’m hoping for the best and that is that the current stuff comes out looking as clean as the jug in your picture. Along with replacing the water pump pulley & belt, I’ll feel alot more confident knowing those 2 things are up to date.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts