Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay im really stumped, my DTS is always wanting more coolant after a long drive!
K so when i drive the car it would be fine till the temp. gets to 12 o'clock then all hell breaks loose...the car first of all, starts to have a some what kick to it when idoling at a light. and it starts dripping coolent.. it will drop constantly till i turn it off then it starts to poar off the bottem:confused:
If i open the coolent cap it sucks coolent back in and goes back up to almost the full line and the dripping stops, till i drive and it gets warm again.

Another thing, when i drive it hard it stinks of coolent!

I know some of you are going to say dont over fill it, i know it hasnt been over filled and the release hose is dry so this collent poaring out i dont think is from there .but when i go under the car to look the coolent is dripping off the oil pan and everything around it is wet so i DONT know where its comming from anymore!
about two weeks ago i replaced the water pump and the car started running alot smoother. Becuase i did this i thought maybe the water pump was the one leeking, but its not; none of its hoses so im lost.. any suggestions??

And The coolent cap, the rubber ring on it is starting to rip up, do any of u think this can be the problem??

Any suggestions are great! thanks

ps. for this car how would i get air out of the lines too? thanks!

·
Registered
1994 (4.9) & 1997 (4.6) Deville
77 Posts
I don't suppose you replaced any of the other rubber hoses that go from the thermostat housing to the back of the water crossover manifold, to the water cross over pipe that snakes around the back side of the engine did you? These are 3 rubber hoses about 4 inches long that act as a junction point between the plastic coolant lines. They are a PIA trying to remove and replace and are usually good for tearing the skin off your hands. :crying2:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
If it is "poring" out, the leak should be easy to locate. Simply put, you need to locate and fix the leak.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt replace any hoses that can be a cause? im going to look at thsoe and see if its comming from there

Ranger - i tried to locate the leak but cant find exactly where..if i look into the engine everything looks dry, when i go under everything is wet so its hard to find. i was jsut wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where it could be ..any weak spots and what not

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Deville 4.9, 1995 mazda millena
20 Posts
Maybe try to dry it up the best you can from underneath, put it on jack stands or raise it up some, let it warm up in the drive way and see if you can spot any coolant seeping form any where like said earlier if its that bad it should a be easy to spot, or at least give you a better idea

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
A leak as bad as you describe should be easy to spot. Where is it leaking? Front, rear, drivers side, passengers side?

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry it took so long guys, um the leak is comming from the front end of the car, right side more. If you look under the car there are a few abs cables and just above it is some sensor or something? where Coolant may be pushing out of i see that this is the wetest part under the car so im assuming. any suggestions what is it? sorry im not really discriptive

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
ABS cables? If you're talking about the EBTCM, that's on the left side. Kind of hard to make any guesses from that description. Maybe some pictures would help.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ABS cables? If you're talking about the EBTCM, that's on the left side. Kind of hard to make any guesses from that description. Maybe some pictures would help.
No im aware the EBTCM is on the drivers side, under the water pump area. Sorry about the discription i was in a situation that night. the car was poaring out with coolant in a constant stream.

I have a few pictures to post but imbarasing enough i dont know exactly how to post them on this site haha

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u...1147577593&capuid=1&majorgroup=01&grouptype=B

Where im seeing is somewhere around #7, that pump or what ever seems to be soaked with coolant.

Im not too intouch with exactly how this engine operates right now so i appolagize for that lol

thanks

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
You sure the car is a 2001? The 2000 Devilles have water cooled alternators(the 2001s don't) and that would be the only thing on that end of the engine with coolant going thru it. There will be a 3/8" black steel line running down the right front corner of the cam cover and then down the front of the engine, thats the coolant line going to the water cooled alternator. If its not that the only other things anywhere near the oil filter area is the upper radiator hose which runs along the top of the radiator just under the plastic air dam on top of the core support, or the radiator itself. You could have a hole in the end tank of the radiator, or fin section of the radiator that is spraying coolant onto the front of the engine.

·
Registered
1990 Deville w/ 250,000 mi
280 Posts
You sure the car is a 2001? The 2000 Devilles have water cooled alternators(the 2001s don't) and that would be the only thing on that end of the engine with coolant going thru it. There will be a 3/8" black steel line running down the right front corner of the cam cover and then down the front of the engine, thats the coolant line going to the water cooled alternator. If its not that the only other things anywhere near the oil filter area is the upper radiator hose which runs along the top of the radiator just under the plastic air dam on top of the core support, or the radiator itself. You could have a hole in the end tank of the radiator, or fin section of the radiator that is spraying coolant onto the front of the engine.
water cooled alternator!? How cool, I'd love to see a pic of that. Didn't know one existed.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
700 bucks each from the dealer, (almost 300 for a rebuilt from autozone) not so cool when they fail. Don't know what genius n the enigneering group thought that 200 degree water would "cool" an alternator.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
if coolant is pouring from car, any good shop can find leak. are you super cheap or afraid a shop is going to screw you? 1st thread was 04-03? its 04/15 now. still have leak?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,440 Posts
I've often wondered that. Can't imagine an alternator running at over 200 degrees.
A 140 amp rated alternator, spinning at twice engine speed and trying to charge a low deep cycle or marine battery, will literally blister your fingers if you touch the case. Those puppies run HOT. Once battery charge demand falls, the regulator lowers charging amperage and the alternator cools down, sometimes to only fairly warm.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Water cooled alternater ay? but if it was that then the battery wouldnt be getting a charge no? or would it still run and leak aswell? i'll look into that thanks!

Any pictures of one first hand? that would be great!

if coolant is pouring from car, any good shop can find leak. are you super cheap or afraid a shop is going to screw you? 1st thread was 04-03? its 04/15 now. still have leak?
Stoveguy yes, it has been still leaking but the thing is, its not constant! it started off just being a mear mist, other times the car over heats and u see a little under it. Then its poaring off the bottem. But its not like it does it ever single time its driven. its driven aprox. 11 kms to work every morning, and its fine but if i push it to hard it begins to smoke. but drive it 20 kms and hell breaks loose.

It has gone to a shop to be looked at and the time it was there they couldnt find a problem! so upset on that fact and knowing first hand it DOES piss like crazy im scared of being screwed over again for it.

Would it help if i gave a VIN?
i bought it as a 2001 Cadillac DTS -4.6 northstar engine with 200,000 kms on it
Any failures that SHOULD happen within this km range on this car? lol

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
Maybe the coolant is collecting in the lower splash shield. Remove it and have a look. Might find your leak there.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tonight im going to put the car up on a stand and get a few good pics of the area, it would probably help you guys lol

But thanks for the answers! appreciate it
i'll update you guys in a few hours

1 - 20 of 20 Posts