Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does GM sell a coolant additive to help with the head gasket problems the reason I'm asking is I had a subaru that the head gasket started to leak on and subaru sells a additive to prevent this so I would like to prevent this before it happens oh by the way it's a norstar engine thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,137 Posts
GM parts counters carry a packaged version of Bar's coolant additive TABLETS.......TABLETS......that (3) are recommended when doing a coolant change. Crumble three and place in the lower hose prior to refill and start up. GM has not stated the procedure is for head gasket problems.....it's used as a possible leak stop for hose and porous casting problems. Most of the N* head gasket problems result from old coolant allowing oxidation of the aluminum in the area of head bolt threads, allowing the metal to powder with subsequent bolt failure. The general school of thought in the threads here is to religiously maintain and change the DexCool with tablets at somewhat earlier than the recommended intervals. It can't hurt. I change the ol' green stuff in my FWC Olds 455 boat engine every 2 years, and for 9 years (knock on wood) not a problem.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
No additive will prevent or cure a bad head gasket. Regular coolant changes are your best bet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts