Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 eldorado Barritz
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 eldo barritz and the top doesn't work .I checked the pump and there is no fluid leaking anywhere.When I push the switch there is no sound or anything. It seems like there is a fuse blown or an electricl problem .Could it be a bad
pump even though there is no fluid leaking. Are there any circuit breakers that might be thrown .Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks Jimbo

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,000 Posts
Well, I just had to track down a power drain in mine, and it was one of the top motor relays. There are two special convertible only relays in the trunk. I did not test the convertible before finding that the relay was making contact with the metal housing, causing serious current draw.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/227456-84-eldorado-barritz-convertable-top-relays.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/681401-totally-dead-battery-like-zero-volts-4.html

The electrical diagram is in the FSM, which I have. Need some pages from that?

----------

Did you check your fuses? I believe the switch has a fuse in the fusebox, 20amp "GA TRANS", the rest of the top system doesn't except for a fusible link into the fusebox at "IGN 1", just below that 20amp fuse. Under the hood, on your right wheel well there should be a red plastic box, inside of which are ring connectors for car electrical. In my car, the single black wire that changes to red before the firewall is the top power. Somewhere after the firewall is an inline circuit breaker. I couldn't find it. Then another circuit breaker at the top motor, somewhere.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Jimbo, just checking: Are you trying to operate the top with the car in Park and the parking brake pushed in? I'm not 100% sure, but I didn't think the top operated at all without the parking brake down.

Also, have you reviewed the FSM pages 8A-176 and -177 for the top's wiring diagram, and 8A-249 and -250 "Folding Top: Circuit Operation" and "Troubleshooting"?

·
Registered
1985 eldorado Barritz
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help.I don't think the parking brake has to be down to operate.I am going to check the fuse and also look for some electrical open circuits.
If it was the pump how would I know thee is no fluid leaking anywhere.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thought of something: Does your car have a sticker at the back of the driver's side door that says "ASC" or American Sunroof Corporation? Like on the part of the door you can only see when the door is open?

I think the first thing you should check is the electrical system. If that checks out, then worry about the hydraulics. Seems to me you should start with the fuse and fusible link at the fusebox described above, then make sure your top system is getting power from the battery under the hood at that red plastic box under the hood on the right wheel well. That black/red wire's ring connector might be disconnected or corroded.

Humor me about testing with the parking brake down, I think there's a good chance that affects my top's operation. However, the parking brake doesn't appear in the FSM's wiring diagram for the top, so I could be wrong...

If those things are okay, then, if you haven't already, remove your spare tire and the carpet/cardboard in the trunk behind the backseat. Then you can see the top's motor etc. and do a visual inspection for any obvious problems like fried wiring harnesses. According to the FSM, you should start by testing the relays attached to the vertical brace that has the top motor on it. I think you should do one at a time. Unscrew one of the relays from the vertical brace, then carefully disconnect the relay's wiring harness. You don't want to break the plastic on those relays or break the metal protective cover off because they are virtually impossible to replace. FSM says "top up" relay has red and gray wires coming from the front of the car, and the "top down" has red and purple wires coming from the front. Then use a circuit tester or multimeter at that relay's harness with someone pushing the top switch up and down. FSM page 8A-250 tells you what voltages you should get if the circuit is working right.

----------

Red plastic wiring box under the hood looks like this. Mine has three ring connectors going into the firewall, one of which is for the top's power:

The relays in the trunk on the brace look like this (when broken apart anyway, which you don't want to have happen):

Others, please correct any errors in my post.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have confirmed that the ASC-made convertible top on my factory 85 Eldorado convertible only operates with the parking brake down. With the parking brake up, hitting the switch does nothing. At least on mine.

----------

However, there is nothing about the Parking brake in the wiring diagram, which is admittedly odd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts