Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Sedan deVille
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow owners,
I bought a 93 sedan deville this past summer, got a great deal on it from one of our great veterans in America who was moving back
home, his loss, my gain, anyway, i noticed that the rear suspension sits a little lower than it should, I had a 91 Seville that had the same exact problem, I guess my main question is, how easy is it to convert from the factory computer command ride air suspension to
regular coil over springs. Can I do just the back or do I have to do the whole car front and back? Its just one of the few complaints I have about the car, as it only has 112,000 miles and has a full service history to go along with it, and for being an upstate NY car its entire
life, the only rust the car has is a little bit in the wheel wells, and I plan on doing a dual exhaust for it as well. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
This has been posted many times. Coil overs will make the car ride very harsh. A lot of members here recommend Monroe shocks and struts. I used kyb and am happy. You can choose to disable the ELC system if you want but under heavy load, the rear end will sag.

You can get a flowmasters 80 series muffler that is a single inlet dual outlet that will take very little fabrication to install. True duals aren't common and would require a lot of fabrication and way more work than it's worth. If you want loud get a single in single out 10 series Flowmaster. Or consider a straight thru design like a glasspack.

If you don't have smog laws where your at you might even consider muffler delete if you don't mind going deaf =D

----------

Post some pics too if you can and have time!!!

·
Registered
1993 Sedan deVille
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No smog in NY, yet anyway, lol, yeah i see what you mean, I just don't wanna send it to a suspension shop and spend a fortune on air suspension is all, so I'm
just looking for ideas is all on what I can do that will get me the best ride at the best price, I'd love to keep it stock, but I'm not sure specifically all the parts that I'm going to need, and I've seen duals done on the deville, I know muffler shops up here that can do a decent system for about 400 or 500 bucks, only thing I would do is buy the mufflers I wanna put into it.

·
Registered
1993 Sedan deVille
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, that helps a lot, thank you very much, I was always confused by the computer command ride setup if it was a true air suspension or not, I had a Lincoln Mark VII that had a true air suspension setup from the factory and it was a nightmare. But now I know what I'm lookin for, and it won't be as expensive to replace as I thought it would. I have plans for the car, getting the shocks done, the wheel wells need to be patched, it needs exhaust work, I'm gonna see if I can do duals, and a stereo for starters, eventually it will get a new paint job as it is a NY car and the paint has seen better days, but there is not much rust on it for being a NY car its whole life, and I will be putting it in storage for the winters up here, and it runs like brand new as well, and I only paid a grand for it, so I got a steal. I'm just ready for it to be spring so I can take it out and go on some cruises and enjoy my car.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
So my question is, do these cars have rear springs? My Lincoln didn't, but this car does, correct? Like my Roadmaster does? I haven't been under my car yet, well, not the rear anyways. The springs would be similar to what any strut-bearing car has, right?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,278 Posts
So my question is, do these cars have rear springs? My Lincoln didn't, but this car does, correct? Like my Roadmaster does? I haven't been under my car yet, well, not the rear anyways. The springs would be similar to what any strut-bearing car has, right?
=========================
ALL our Cadillacs have coil springs -
and oil-filled - OK - FLUID-FILLED dampers -
including the magic juice in the F55 system -

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
It like any car has rear springs, whether it be air, steel or hydraulic. The mark had air springs on the struts front and seperate bags and shocks out back. Plus if it was like my continental 2 horizontal dampeners(not air) by the rear sway bar. The back isn't bad but the air struts not so much. I like the air assist better since its drooped some but not on the ground since there are still coils. On my 03 deville I replaced the lines as somebody bikes one and created small hole and Monroe air assist shocks. It rides great and nearly the same loaded as with only a driver. Coilover load lifters I had on a crown vic definitely much more harsh than one with rear air ride. It's all personal preference but if you notice not many cars leave the factory with springs and coil over shocks too for a reason.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,489 Posts
This answer your question ??? (During my EBC brake install - and you can just see the tip of the LR height sensor at the left.)

Lower suspension arm, rear toe adjuster drag link, fluid shock with height air bladder, height sensor and link rod, rear coil spring and insulator pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
This answer your question ??? (During my EBC brake install - and you can just see the tip of the LR height sensor at the left.)

Lower suspension arm, rear toe adjuster drag link, fluid shock with height air bladder, height sensor and link rod, rear coil spring and insulator pad.
Quite well!!! That's the way I thought it was set up, but like I said, I haven't been under the rear of the Caddy or even had the wheels off yet. I will have to soon though, she needs pads and rotors I think.

·
Administrator
68,489 Posts
I will have to soon though, she needs pads and rotors I think.
IF the car that needs brakes is other than the hearse or Roadmaster -

Special techniques and torques for the calipers and brackets. The rear caliper pistons screw back into the caliper. Don't try the C-clamp method, and align the pad face indents with the caliper piston face.

You're posting in someone else's thread in a FWD Deville forum, so it's hard to figure out just what we're fixing.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts

hell yeah ebc brakes sub! looks great and Ill bet she stops great too

·
Registered
567 Posts
You're posting in someone else's thread in a FWD Deville forum, so it's hard to figure out just what we're fixing.
Good point. Off topic. I'll worry about that one later, just really saying I hadn't examined my suspension yet so I didn't know it's particulars. Sorry.

·
Administrator
68,489 Posts
hell yeah ebc brakes sub! looks great and Ill bet she stops great too
I'm lucky enough to be able to run this car to some insane speeds on private land. As far as strong stopping power the EBC brakes are very certainly a step above stock, but a more in-depth HD multi-piston caliper and companion ceramic pads would beat them. But, how often do you panic stop from 145 ?

........ and super HD brakes are very trick, but can be a real PITA in normal driving. Tailor the mods to your environment, not your ultimate bucket list.

·
Administrator
68,489 Posts
Super-hard pads and rotors need to be HOT to function properly. As in: Daytona road course sports prototype tri-oval racing. Like red hot. A good, name brand set of rotors and ceramic pads will give you all the trick and stopping power you will ever need in a city/suburban/highway driving environment.

Slots, drilled, slots/drilled - yeah, well, OK. Mostly daily driver bling.

Google "brake rotor red hot racing". Images. That's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Submariner409 said:
Super-hard pads and rotors need to be HOT to function properly. As in: Daytona road course sports prototype tri-oval racing. Like red hot. A good, name brand set of rotors and ceramic pads will give you all the trick and stopping power you will ever need in a city/suburban/highway driving environment. Slots, drilled, slots/drilled - yeah, well, OK. Mostly daily driver bling. Google "brake rotor red hot racing". Images. That's perfectly normal.
I'll bet you heat those puppies up. Traffic here is ridiculous. Makes a person want machine guns on their car ha

·
Registered
1993 Sedan deVille
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the help guys, I do plan on pulling it out here soon, I know someone who has a 96 SLS for sale that I am considering buying now when I get
my car out, I plan on getting it fixed so it can pass a New York State Inspection, I can probably make double what I paid for it, and the SLS I'm looking at has
less than 50k miles, no rust, has a system in it already and drives like brand new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts