Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another new post on wipers, but looking for some technical help.

Long story short (again), struggling to get hold of a RHD wiper motor for 2005 Cadillac CTS, can only find one seller but price is high and thanks to GM strike there is no ETA on delivery. I need to fix the issue within the next 15 days though. All in this post here: https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/this-isnt-my-first-post-about-wipers.1090222/#post-17771772

I'm basically wondering if I could find a way of making a LHD wiper motor work on a RHD car (still using RHD linkage system though).

Straight away I know that having a mirrored motor would mean the mounting brackets may not line up, and that the actual body of the linkage system may get in the way of fitting the motor comfortably. I should be able to cut away some of the linkage body to squeeze it in though, and as long as I can mount on at least one of the holes I could then find other ways to make it secure.

Next issue is the direction of the wipers. So on my UK car, the wipers are like this:

They are in home position here, and move upwards to the left.

On a US motor, if I set if off from that home position then I'd have the wipers scraping down over the hood. So, I would just have to be careful and make sure that during installation, the motor is set to its home position and that my wipers are in an upright position, like this:

Ok, so, at the end of the day, this wiper motor is just spinning, nothing else - its the linkage system that gives the up down movement. So what I'm thinking is, can I change the home position on a US motor so that when the wipers think they are in the home position when they are actually "upright"?

So from what I can see on the CTS motor, the home position is defined using a small magnet in a revolving plastic part. The plastic part sits between the cog in the motor and the PCB in the cover. It revolves along with the cog inside the motor, and when the magnet passes above a sensor component on the PCB, the wipers know they are in the home position.

See image below showing the plastic part and the arm extension on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See image below showing the magnet and the sensor on the PCB.

Im thinking that all I need to really do here (aside from mounting problems), is remove that magnet, put it on the opposite side and then the wipers home position will be flipped?

I feel like this is too easy and im missing something here, so looking for people to scrutinise this and tell me if im missing something.

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I wanted to test out for sure that swapping the magnet would change park position, so I tried on my faulty motor. Magnet popped out very easily, and I secured it on the other side with play-doh just to test (would prob use glue gun for permanent solution). Anyway, image below:

What I failed to remember though, is the reason that im in this situation in the first place is because my wipers will not turn off unless the fuse is removed, so I did all this to then realise that I cant test the home position if my wipers never stop! :LOL:

If anyone has a working motor that happens to be lying around and is willing to test this for me, I would appreciate it. The magnet pops out very easily, and also pops back into its housing very easily and securely too. If you test this on a US car then your wipers park position should end up with your wipers upright.

I appreciate that asking people to dismantle their cars to test something for me may be asking a bit much, so I understand if no-one wants to take up this task! :D

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,765 Posts
The pictures that you posted, is that of your actual circuit board or just one you found online to use?

If it's your own, then the capacitors look alright. But if not, then check out to see if the capacitors head's are blown or even slightly raised. (the part with grooves on the top). Just wondering if they could be done and that's why the wipers are always on.

I haven't had my car in over a year, so I can't check on mine.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pictures that you posted, is that of your actual circuit board or just one you found online to use?

If it's your own, then the capacitors look alright. But if not, then check out to see if the capacitors head's are blown or even slightly raised. (the part with grooves on the top). Just wondering if they could be done and that's why the wipers are always on.

I haven't had my car in over a year, so I can't check on mine.

KOT
Yep its one of my boards (I got one from a scrap car, same fault).

If you look closely at the soldering points on the capacitors you can see that a very poor soldering job has been done... because it was me :p Soldering iron is not a good one, tip was in poor condition so I just chopped the original capacitors off and soldered onto the old points left behind.

Unfortunately the problem remained, so not the capacitors as far as I know.

The issue I have now though is that the cog inside the motor is gone because of me manually pushing my wipers across the windscreen to clear standing water (rather than doing the sensible thing and sticking the fuse in to let them run one cycle). Over time this ground down some of the teeth on the cog and the wipers jam when the cog gets round to the worn part - So even if I got a new PCB or fixed that one Id still have the issue of a bad motor :(

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked the rockauto.com site?
Yep, usually my first port of call for parts but they dont offer the RHD motor. If I do get a LHD one to convert though it will probably be from there. Scared to buy it still though, I'm expecting someone to come and tell me its a stupid idea and why it cant be done as im describing xD

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you cant replace the cog, right? Should be the same between JH and RH. I think...
Cant even get the cog out xD Seeing as no-one has told me its a stupid idea so far I think Im just gonna bite the bullet and go for it with a LHD motor.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
504 Posts
I would say if you have a spare and are so bold, pull it apart and pull that cog out. I bet it is on a splined or notched piece pressed on in the center. I bet it WILL come off with some force directly at the center prying it up with a flat screwdriver. I would not go on the edges or sides much as it will shift the whole thing and could break out of the center.

·
Registered
CTS 2007 Sport Luxury
144 Posts
If you go on ebay and search "breaking cadillac CTS", you will find 4 english ones for parts.

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you go on ebay and search "breaking cadillac CTS", you will find 4 english ones for parts.
Cheers mate, but messaged all of them already I'm afraid - they never have the wiper motors!

Also gave notifications setup in case someone makes a new cts breaking listing.

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would say if you have a spare and are so bold, pull it apart and pull that cog out. I bet it is on a splined or notched piece pressed on in the center. I bet it WILL come off with some force directly at the center prying it up with a flat screwdriver. I would not go on the edges or sides much as it will shift the whole thing and could break out of the center.
Lhd motor will be here Monday now. If I can get that working then I'll get the big out of the RHD one somehow, even if just out of curiosity!

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Need some help from you guys in the US please!

Motor arrived today, but getting nothing out of it. The only thing I can think of is that the wiring order is different on a LHD car maybe?

So on my RHD car, you can see how the wiring is in the image above. If Im holding the motor showing the side with the cover, and showing the side of the connector that has the snap on clip then the wiring order is as above:

Top row, from right to left: BLACK, BLUE, GREY, left pin clear
bottom row, from right to left: YELLOW, ORANGE, PURPLE (cant see purple in photo but its there), left pin clear

Can anyone check on their US LHD motor to check if the wiring is different? A photo like this one would be great if possible.

edit found a vid of a LHD motor change and can see wiring is different.will switch some around now and test again

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A bit of messing about but so far so good. Re-wired, and motor is working fine (as well as turning off when it is supposed to PRAISE THE LORD).

Now just need to cut some metal out of the body of the linkage system to fit the backwards motor and finally test swapping the magnet to change the home position of the wipers. Will do that tomorrow and update.

·
Registered
CTS 2.8 (2005)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, wasn't such a stupid idea in the end. There were some issues I didn't foresee (like the power steering getting in the way and the re-wiring) but got round it all and happy to report it's all working! At least now if i ecer get the problem again i can just buy a LHD motor cover. Cheers to people who chipped in and offered suggestions :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts