Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 allante
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I just bought a 1991 Allante and it is a wonderful car. Lots of power, nice handling, decent ride and plenty of amenities. I have owned both C-3 Corvettes and C-4 Corvettes and a couple of GT Mustangs. Presently restoring a
1978 Corvette. I feel the Allante on an open road would probably keep up with either. Now my question. Please pass on some words of wisdom on how to properly put down the top. I really not for sure that mine is not broken. I followed the instructions in the owners manual but it reached a certain point and would go down no further. Thanks.:worship:

·
Registered
1988 Allante.
189 Posts
Hey Random,
I think you may need to slightly push up on the bar ( bow ) - it's the rib in the middle of your top- that goes the width of the top WHILE moving the entire top to the down position... If this sounds confusing, email me off list and I'll take a pic and show you . [email protected].
Matt

·
Registered
91 allante
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cadmat I'll give that a try. So stinky hot here in Arkansas right now though, I don't know how much top down driving I'll be doing for awhile. Be glad when fall gets here.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
On my 88, once the top was folded, I would pull the material out from beneath the top bow.(pull it towards the trunk lid) That lowered the stacked height of the top. It also keeps the top bow from tearing the material in the sail panel area, a very common issue on the Allante'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure the overcenter bars in the middle break over. Sometimes you will get about mid way and they stick. Sometimes you can twist your wrist around the middle of the window and get the overcenter to break over.

·
Registered
91 allante
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys finally got it down without a hitch :) But todays heat index is about 110 with almost 100% humidity I think I'll keep the top up and the a/c on. Never let anybody talk you into visiting Arkansas in Aug or Sept unless you like being in a sauna 24/7. Really enjoying the car though very responsive and still attracting attention for a car that is nearly 20 years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts