Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of discussion about adding a navigation system to a non nav car--but this hasn't been talked about yet (at least I havent found it). How hard is it to convert a cd navigation system (2003) to a DVD navigation system? Is it possible? Can I use a new 2006 one? Will a dealer sell me one outright? Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
newyork4me said:
I know there has been a lot of discussion about adding a navigation system to a non nav car--but this hasn't been talked about yet (at least I havent found it). How hard is it to convert a cd navigation system (2003) to a DVD navigation system? Is it possible? Can I use a new 2006 one? Will a dealer sell me one outright? Thanks everyone!!
You cant convert it but you can buy a new one and it would be plug and play. If bought new it would cost you between $2400 and $3000. Best bet is to look at salvage yards or ebay and you should obtain one from $900 - $1500.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response...Even if I bought a new 2006 nav it would still be plug and play? Wouldn't I have to worry about harnesses and all that other stuff? Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
newyork4me said:
Thanks for the quick response...Even if I bought a new 2006 nav it would still be plug and play? Wouldn't I have to worry about harnesses and all that other stuff? Thanks again! :)
The same harness is used for both. Only difference is one has a CD Drive and the other has a DVD Drive.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It will be all plug and play. The only problem is matching colors of the face plates since the 2006 is black with wood trim. Older DVD units are black. The CD based system is pewter. This shouldn't be too much trouble for you since you already have the a pewter face plate that you can easily exchange yourself. The face plate is only attached by four screws and some cables and does not require opening of the unit to remove.

·
Registered
22 Posts
NY,
I think there should be no problems and very likely the harnessing for you would be the same. I think you may have an advantage over most Base CTS' without the nav system. I would recommend that you look at the instructions on cadillacFAQ. They are really good. I just converted my base CTS from a single CD to a NAV with 6CD and DVD. It was very easy. You may not even have to order the antenna required for the system.

Odysses is the man when it comes to this swap. I would wait for a post from him.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Actually, I'm just about to do the same thing! I've got a pewter CD based Nav that doesn't have the XM firmware in it, so my new 'factory-like' XM doesn't work. The DVD Nav will be directly plug-n-play. It will use the existing wiring and GPS antenna. You'll need a DVD map disk, of course (although I can't see, technically, why it wouldn't read CD maps). I pulled my CD based nav apart to get a jammed CD out, and even took the face plate off just to see how it was attached. It was very simply, as I recall, and swapping the faceplates would be easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Odysses....do you have the NAV DVD that you wouldnt mind making a copy of? I thought I had a buddy who wouldnt mind lettting me borrow his DVD from his CTSV but alas I was wrong...he find 1000 excuses not to give me his DVD than to let me have it for an hour or two...here are some of the excuses:

1. I cant find the DVD in the glove compartments

2. The dealer programmed everything for me I dont want to mess it up

3. I misplaced the DVD when I moved houses.

Here is the prime excuses...hey...whats that DVD in your DVD player...

4. Oh...its some DVD without which the NAV wont work...

Lame...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Actually, I haven't bought a new DVD based Nav yet, or a DVD disk. Unfortunately, I also don't have a dual layer DVD burner. There were members here in the past who were rumored to make copies for other members for the price of the disk.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
odysseus said:
Actually, I haven't bought a new DVD based Nav yet, or a DVD disk. Unfortunately, I also don't have a dual layer DVD burner. There were members here in the past who were rumored to make copies for other members for the price of the disk.
Who would do such a thing... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
ok quesiton, you guys mentioned replacing the pewter cover to match the DVD nav to the 03 cts interior, but what about the buttons and the volume and selector button, are those connected to the faceplate?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Caddy Man said:
ok quesiton, you guys mentioned replacing the pewter cover to match the DVD nav to the 03 cts interior, but what about the buttons and the volume and selector button, are those connected to the faceplate?
Yes. Everything you can see without removing the Nav is attached to the faceplate. This inlcudes all buttons, knobs, and the screen.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Mbai2 said:
Yes. Everything you can see without removing the Nav is attached to the faceplate. This inlcudes all buttons, knobs, and the screen.
hm this is interesting, so concerning all those people that had button paint chipping (like me!) why wouldnt GM just start replacing faceplates instead of the entire unit???? Am i missing something here?!

·
Registered
34 Posts
So guys, i have a 2003 CTS with the CD player/ Tape, and want to upgrade to OEM navigation. Which system has the DVD Navigation, it seems retarded to upgrade to a CD Navigation which is already old technology. What year OEM dvd/nav do i need to buy? Also, you were saying i could just unscrew the face off my cd/tape player and put it on the dvd/nav one, that way it matches correct, or are the faces different for the dvd/nav?
Sorry im a new CTS owner and loving it!
Jason

·
Registered
292 Posts
All the DVD navs have black faceplates. If you have an early 03 cts your dash will be pewter. The only nav's that are pewter are the cd ones.
Mid 2003 they switched the cts dashcolor to black and at the same time switched to the dvd nav. So any nav late 03 to 05 will be dvd based, and black. Im sorry but I dont think the faceplate from a non-nav radio will not work on a nav radio. None of the buttons are in the same place, and there also isnt a hole for the nav screen. I am unaware of any place that sells faceplates so if you wanted a dvd nav to match your pewter dash you would need to get a cd nav and swap the faceplate, otherwise you might want to try a nice looking dashkit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nice!, I like the look of that one. Must be from an '06. I bet the reserve is pretty high for a brand new unit. Now if you could just get new vents and ashtry, it would look ace. Or you might find a forum member who would be willing to swap faceplates with you if they wanted to mod for the 06 look.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I just did the CD Nav to DVD Nav swap last week. The face has NO screws holding it on. There are three plastic tabs on each side that hold it in place. There are two electrical connectors on flat-flex that unplug very easily. The screen is NOT attached to the faceplate, but to the chassis. The face plate is very easy to swap out, and all buttons/knobs function identically.

Delphi/GM don't offer only faceplates, which sucks, because many people have had problems with buttons chipping/peeling. GM simply exchange the entire unit and fix it themselves (well, Delphi does).

All cars built after Summer of '02 (mid '03 model year) have the black interior and will come with a DVD based Nav, if that option is ordered. I think the '06's offer more wood trim than previously available (as Shaft's pictures show). You can easily add this yourself, but I don't know how easy it is to remove, if you get a factory Nav with it applied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If anyone sees a BLACK OEM Nav with DVD could they please bring it to my attention. Ill keep my eyes out but if any of you stumble across somethign let me know!

·
Registered
466 Posts
:tisk: Do a eBay search for seller elliottent5. He's sold a few CTS DVD NAVs on eBay. He sold me mine. It was in excellent shape, with the "theft lock" already removed. He just sold several a couple of weeks ago. Email him, see if he has any available, if not, to let you know when he does. I think he can be trusted. Cut out the middleman, eBay. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
10 Participants
shaft