Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Seville 79 and 78
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I have two elegante 1978 and 1979 , all the time I'm suffering from problems with
EFi ,
finally I've decided to swap to carbureted . my choices are
A) Edelbrock 7111 ( as opposed to A4 Aluminum Olds intake manifold)
B) Edelbrock 1406
my questions are
1- Do I get enough clearance from the hood ?
2- Any known problem with reattaching the Brackets?
Any body who has done this before please walk me through ,
Cheers,

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
My first concern would be fuel pressure. This car has 2 fuel pumps. One in tank, one on the frame. I don't know if the camshaft has the eccentric on it's nose to make a manual fuel pump work. You might have to use a Nova, Omega fuel tank and fuel sender to eliminate the in tank pump then run a low pressure electric fuel pump in place of the high pressure frame mounted pump? Regarding intake manifold, I think the stock Olds is lower.

·
Registered
Seville 79 and 78
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very valid point !
I wasn't even thinking about the mechanical fuel pump.
My plan was to by pass the high pressure external electric pump
and only rely on the in tank low pressure fuel pump. I thought it
would work.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Don't really know? Have you done a U TUBE search? Google search? Carb fuel pressure is like 4 lbs. Maybe the in-tank pump with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Also fuel injection has a return fuel line back to the tank. Not required with a carb. Are you a better than average mechanic?

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
Hello everyone!
I have two elegante 1978 and 1979 , all the time I'm suffering from problems with
EFi ,
finally I've decided to swap to carbureted . my choices are
A) Edelbrock 7111 ( as opposed to A4 Aluminum Olds intake manifold)
B) Edelbrock 1406
my questions are
1- Do I get enough clearance from the hood ?
2- Any known problem with reattaching the Brackets?
Any body who has done this before please walk me through ,
Cheers,
i can tell you it would be easier to fix the EFI than to convert it to a carb. The best way to do
the conversion would be to take all the parts off a late 70s Olds or Buick (Olds engine). About
1980 all the Olds (mostly 5L) went to an aluminum intake; I avoid these as there re corrosion
problems around the coolant passages. I wouldn't use an aftermarket aluminum intake either,
these aren't intended to take on all the acc on a Cad.

Your engine does have the eccentric, just take off the blocking plate and bolt in a pump. It
should have gotten a new timing chain by now, to avoid disaster when the OEM fails. I think
you will need to use a 1/4", 5/16", and a 3/8" line to a properly equipped tank unit. The 403
fuel pumps will have 3/8" with a 1/4" return, and the other is for the emissions venting. Copy
the Olds fuel emissions scheme (403 car is best model) to avoid strange things happening. The
charcoal canister may need swapping for the carb vent.

The problem with an electric pump, is you need a system to turn it off after a delay if the engine
isn't turning. Bruce Roe Cad Lasalle 70s EFI tech # 14630

----------

For conversion look for a carb Olds 350 HEI. 403 has a less desirable advance curve. Your present
HEI uses a very special module which is tied into an ESS circuit that you will also remove. Then
send your ECUs and HEIs to me for redistribution. Bruce Roe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts