Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is continuous clicking coming from the rear passenger wheel well after the car has been shut off and parked. It sounds like a electrical switch turning on and off.

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
105 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Are you sure you are not hearing the exhaust pipes cooling down? That’s what is sounds like.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,912 Posts
Which make, model, year vehicle? Please update your profile so we know what we're working on.

If the car is a FWD DTS series then it may be the ELC compressor (Electronic Level Control) solenoid control head.

About 6 seconds after Key: ON do you hear the compressor do a preload/prove out test? A 2 second run?

Otherwise, yes - an exhaust pipe/muffler cooling down.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is a front wheel drive 2008 DTS with about 45k. I first thought it was the exhaust cooling but quickly realized it was something else. I parked the car in the drive about 12 hours ago and it is still sitting there clicking.

·
Administrator
73,912 Posts
Did you read Post #3?

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
105 Posts
I wouldn’t even be able to begin to try and diagnose this. All the pros on here will help you. I concur with submariner. Electrical on cars is not something I prefer to mess around with. Odd though Submariner wouldn’t that trigger the service suspension message? Is that on by any chance?

·
Administrator
73,912 Posts
Maybe part of the EVAP system is hot at all time and a fuel tank or canister vent is cycling for some reason.

But, yes - any of that should throw a DTC. Codes can be read using a scanner in the OBD-II port under the dash edge next to the steering column, or take the car to a parts store for a scan.

·
Registered
89 Deville, 06 DTS
160 Posts
If the noise is on the passenger side, it’s coming from the ELC compressor area.

Very FEW issues with the rear leveling suspension will trigger a SERVICE SUSPENSION message on the DTC. I’ve had a complete failure before and got no message. In fact. That message only shows up if the ride height is noted to be severely high, or severely low. It will, however, trigger codes readable by a dealer-level reader, such as Tech II. I doubt most auto parts stores scanners will be able to see those codes.

Start with a visual check under that fender. Wiring corrosion and compressor head failure are common, especially if the car was driven in snowy climates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts