Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So what's your opinion on these cars? Which do you own? Which HAVE you owned? Let's hear it from the people who can tell it...

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
I guess the CTS is fairly new so not many problems!

·
Registered
ATS AWD Luxury Turbo
150 Posts
You will love the CTS. I've had one almost a year, and it hasn't been back to the dealer since I picked it up. Mine's dark blue with the Luxury Sports package that includes the 17 inch polished wheels. I think it looks sharp, and it get lot's of positive comments. (I also added a body color spoiler from Sportwing) It takes a good 4,000 miles for the engine to break in and start performing, but after the break in period, it flies for a 3.2 litre. synthetic oil seemed to help the engine get legs at high RPMs. (If you change oil yourself, be sure you have a replacement before you start. It uses a cartridge that's not generally available, and you will need to get them from GM - they aren't cheap. I got mine on the net at half the dealer price, but it was a AC Delco.)

And last week J D Powers named the CTS as highest in original customer satisfaction in it's class along with a Lexus and a MB model.

I test drove the Acura, Jag, Infiniti G35 and Lexus. The Caddy was more solid than any of them, and the motor performed good enough, although the infiniti 3.5 is a sweeter engine. I chose the Caddy over the Infiniti on ride and looks. The G35 looks like a run of the mill late 90s Japanese sedan.

Lot's of bang for the buck, and excellent Cadillac service including free pick up/delivery, limo or free Caddy loaner - your choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had some problems with the AC unit. It died on me recently and the dealer had some problems fixing it. However the service was incredible and they did give me a DTS as a rental car. Thumbs up for Caddillac. My CTS is a fun car to drive and I look forward to getting a faster one in the years to come.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Lux Sport, 2004 Yukon Denali, 2013 XTS Platinum
17 Posts
I got the 03 CTS in late 02. Mine is sable black with pewter interior. sports luxury package, heated seats, all of the options basically except for the block heater.

I love my cadi its by far the best car I have ever owned. it performs well, turns heads in the neighborhoods due to its original styling.

The nav system that you can get as an option is also one of the best by far. I work in technology and have had to play and work with many nav systems for helicopters, cars and handheld units...the one that comes with the cadi is one of the nicest I have seen yet.

--DAVe

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm probably going to purchase a CTS soon but I was just wondering if the CTS navigation system can play DVD movies. I thought i heard it did but only when the vehicle is in park. Is this ture or can the navgation only play the DVD-ROM disc that comes with the vehicle? :confused:
Thanx,
SaM

03 Arrival Blue Silverado Sportside R-Cab on Dub's and kickin' sound

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The dvd nav system (There are two types for the same price) can play dvd movies when the car is in park.....my bros company insists they can overcome the park thing for about $800 or so but that would void a warranty and my cts has the non dvd nav (pita) anyway hope that helps

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is true you can play movies on the DVD navigation system and there is a DVD movie contol menu built in to the system. However as soon as you put the car in drive you get the message "Safety Override" and the movie shuts down.

A local sound shop, the same my Caddy dealer uses, claims this can be fixed.
I have not priced this fix for the same fears as mentioned before.

·
Registered
NONE
74 Posts
'04 CTS w/Lux. Pkg.

Overall fit and finish is nice--only one nit so far: driver's-side seat is physically closer (rail actually flush) to center console than passenger-side (1/4" gap--armrest lid rubs against driver's seat when opening). I wish the base interior (no wood) was standard, with the wood optional across the board, or all significant performance options were available with the base interior. Also wish the grill and headlamp surrounds were a classic semi-gloss black rather than the gunmetal gray. Can't wait to get the rear license plate surround covered. Other nits: Sport mode won't stay engaged (tried "reset" to no avail) and of course, no glove box light.

Very competent chassis and handling despite ho-hum tires, decent power (3.6), though I'd gladly trade premium being optional for another 30 HP or so. A little porky for its size. Lots of wind noise at highway speeds--for any class of car. I also can't believe a car of this caliber and price point does not come standard with 17's and HID lighting across the board (with 18's optional)...

·
Registered
1 Posts
HPCC said:
'04 CTS w/Lux. Pkg.

Overall fit and finish is nice--only one nit so far: driver's-side seat is physically closer (rail actually flush) to center console than passenger-side (1/4" gap--armrest lid rubs against driver's seat when opening). I wish the base interior (no wood) was standard, with the wood optional across the board, or all significant performance options were available with the base interior. Also wish the grill and headlamp surrounds were a classic semi-gloss black rather than the gunmetal gray. Can't wait to get the rear license plate surround covered. Other nits: Sport mode won't stay engaged (tried "reset" to no avail) and of course, no glove box light.

Very competent chassis and handling despite ho-hum tires, decent power (3.6), though I'd gladly trade premium being optional for another 30 HP or so. A little porky for its size. Lots of wind noise at highway speeds--for any class of car. I also can't believe a car of this caliber and price point does not come standard with 17's and HID lighting across the board (with 18's optional)...
thank you . that concludes I will not buy a CTS "Lots of wind noise at highway speeds" I have a 1997 bmw 540 and could not tolerate wind noise.

any other opinions, please.:devil:

·
Registered
543 Posts
bernard31 said:
thank you . that concludes I will not buy a CTS "Lots of wind noise at highway speeds" I have a 1997 bmw 540 and could not tolerate wind noise.

any other opinions, please.:devil:
I have no wind noise at highway speeds.

Your best option is to actually drive one at highway speed and see for yourself, with the current promotions from GM you may get to keep it for free.

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
HPCC said:
Very competent chassis and handling despite ho-hum tires, decent power (3.6), though I'd gladly trade premium being optional for another 30 HP or so. A little porky for its size. <snip> I also can't believe a car of this caliber and price point does not come standard with 17's and HID lighting across the board (with 18's optional)...
I can't comment on your personal problems with your CTS(console, wind noise) other than to say mine doesn't exhibit those problems. In fact, JDPower ranks Cadillac #2 in the industry in initial quality and attributes much of that success to the CTS. But the part above made me hang my head. Are you that ignorant about the car you drive?

-You can use 87 octane gasoline in the 3.6L(the owner's manual is a misprint according to GM).

-It has very competitive power for it's class and is hardly 'porky for it's size'.
Example curb weights:
Cadillac CTS - 3630lbs. - 255hp
Acura TL - 3550lbs. - 260hp
Audi A4 Quattro - 3690lbs. - 220hp
BMW 330 - 3340lbs. - 225hp
BMW 540 - 3748lbs. - 280hp
Infiniti G35 - 3470lbs. - 260hp
Jaguar X-type - 3600lbs. - 231hp
Lexus IS 300 - 3400lbs. - 215hp
Lincoln LS6 - 3680lbs. - 220hp
Mercedes C320 - 3480lbs. - 215hp
Saab 9-5 Aero - 3510lbs. - 250hp
Volvo S60 T5 - 3410lbs. - 247hp

And the last comment about a car of that price point not having those standards? Go take a look at what the other manufacturers offer 'at that price point'. I think our options list does very well in comparison. ;)

·
Registered
NONE
74 Posts
gothicaleigh said:
...-You can use 87 octane gasoline in the 3.6L(the owner's manual is a misprint according to GM)...
You missed my point. The revised owner's manual goes on to suggest using premium for towing and maximum performance. The way I take it, maximum performance means producing the rated 255 HP. This implies to me that compromises were made to accomodate regular grade gasoline without grenading (electronic engine management notwithstanding). Since I, as you (at least as you've indicated in another post), run premium anyway, I gladly would accept running premium as mandatory for another 30 HP or so. 80 flexible HP per liter should hardly be a stretch for a "standard of the world" engine. 85 HP per liter, a la Nissan VQ35 in the G35C/350Z, would put the 3.6 just over 300 HP.

·
Registered
2004 CTS, 2012 CTS Coupe
139 Posts
i have a 04 cts. 1sa with 3.6L auto trans. picked it up jan 2. so its been about a little less than a month. i have to admit i love the car. i was originally looking into buying the nissan 350z (i understand its a different class car) but i ended up with cts because of the whole gm family, and i dont regret it at all. it is a bit less fun than the z... but the 2 extra seat and the more luxury feel. its a good trade off.

i dont like the fact that a 33k car doesnt come with power seat as standard. and i thought the interior of the door looked kind of cheap. (looks plasticish) but i heard that'll change in the next few years and cts will come with a much better interior. the AC vent with the whole nob in the middle... looked funny too and doesnt work very well to direct the AC (my left hand freezes when im driving unless i close that vent) but i heard thats also going to change.

but yeah. all in all it's a great car. i love it... but i do think 17in wheels and HID should be standard for 33k. just to give the other companies a bit more pressure.... :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I flat love this car. Purchassed August 03. Although I have never had a car of this caliber, this is a great choice for my hard earned dollars. 04, black with neutral interior, fully loaded. Absolutely no problems nor do I have any issues with anything on this car. Glove box light would be nice. After reading all of the replys here I have searched my ride and it is perfect. I just finished a 600 mi round trip to CA from Phoenix and on the return trip; I pushed the limit at 100 mph plus all the way back. 264 mi in 3 hrs 10 min. Had to slow many times to less than 70 but just kept the pace. Got just over 23 mpg with 4 adults and a trunk completely full of luggage for 4 days. This car at 120 is incredible. I have no wind noise but a bit of exhaust noise as I have a B & B system. I would buy the car again tomorrow without reservation. Expecting my replacement wheels from I-forged by the end of the week. They missed the offset on the first set. Got a call from the owner of the company to let me know the status a week ago. I would call that pretty good customer service. If anyone went to the SEMA show in Vegas, the CTS-V there had a set of I forged on it. If I would change anything about the car, I would change the huge engine bonnet or what ever they call that massive cover over the engine to something more in tune with the kind of car it really is. I am going to look into making a change here! I love this car but crap, I coulda had a V-8.
On another note: The CTS-V will be racing in SCCA against the Beemers, Porsches, Audi and others. Tune in and see how we do. The first race is Sebring in March. Go get em Cadillac.

·
Registered
231 Posts
YaY! :yup: i FiNALLY got my CTS (3.6L)! man i frickin love this car. my mom is jealous. twenty inch wheels on it really enhance the look i think. i didnt get the nav system if anyone was wondering being that i previously asked about it in this thread. its too expensive for me! im happy with the luxury package. i believe the CTS is the flashiest car in its class hands down!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey M star 013
Tell me about the tires on your ride. Size, brand, speed rating and so on. I have 245-45 x 18 Good Year Eagle GS D3 max performance tires. They are only about 3/4 inch larger in diameter than the stockers and a 1/2 inch wider. Had the 17's and with this setup, the sidewall is almost the same height as the stockers were. This info is for anyone wanting to go to a wider tie and stay in the diameter range of the stock 17's that came with the LS package. This is the same as the V series stock tires. The race car has Toyo Proxes RA-1 275/35's on the front, 335/30 on the rear. Here is a link for the GM anouncement on the two car team.

http://www.motorsportvortex.com/news/publish/sportscar/article_3812.shtml

Pictures and more info at this very good race info site.
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/cadillac_ctsv_race.asp

Does anyone know what the running lite bulb numbers are and has anyone changed them out? This is the little triangular light in the inner corner of the headlight housing. I want to change them out if there is a brighter/whiter one available. Your car looks great!.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dear Namsag,
thanx for lookin at my car first off! You wanted to know the kind of tire they are, well they are NiTTO NT555 ExtremeZR. the size is P245/35/ZR20 95H (dont know what the 95H is, maybe u could tell me!) it's 8.5 inches wide so it is wider than the stocks.
actually it gave me a little problem after i got the 20's on. the rear fender wells have this little "lip" i guess about half an inch wide, when i would hit an unexpected dip in the road, the tires would rub against that little lip. didnt think of it too much at first till i saw that the very edge of the tire was being sliced into little slivers of rubber! i took it to the place that put them on and they said they can bend that lip up into the wheel well so it wont dont it anymore. i got it back the same day and my troubles are over! NO RUB iN ANY WHEEL WELL AND JUST COSMETIC DAMAGE TO THE TIRE! the guy at the shop said he has put 20X8.5in wheels and tires on 2003 CTS' many times with no rub, 2004's must be different. fellow dubbers! did this happen to you too? or did my car have fluke wells?
i hope i answered your question namsag!
from,
sammY

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
2004 CTS-V

Gotta say, I love it. Drove a lot of cars before pulling the trigger, including:

Audi S4 (new and old)
Volvo S60R
Lexus IS300
Rx8 (actually owned it)
Infiniti G35
Various Bimmers 330i, M3, 530i, 540i (never found an M5 for driving, though)

Car feels very tight with MORE than enough power to always have fun. The nav, onstar, xm, heated seats, power everything with memories - all are excellent in my book. Leave just enough comfort to be a luxo-mobile without sacrificing the sport car feel.

Just can't stop grinning :)

First American car in a LONG time that felt right to me.

Wildwhl

1 - 20 of 106 Posts