Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So what's your opinion on these cars? Which do you own? Which HAVE you owned? Let's hear it from the people who can tell it...

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
My '97 Seville was purchased by my mother at a Cadillac dealership under their certified used car program. It was owned by an older couple who turned it in for a new '00 Seville. They were the original owners and put about 40,000 miles on the car. My mother had it for a few years, and then I got it in November of 2001. Mom drove it everywhere...my parents are full-time RVers and mom followed dad around in the rig all over the country. She put the bulk of the miles on it. I've done my share though. I've put about 31,000 miles on it in the 16 months that I've owned it. It's been a very good car.

Most common problem on this one, going by the maintenance records, is brakes. Powerstop cross-drilled rotors has stopped that though (<-- bad pun!). I've been on the same set of brakes for almost 30,000 miles now -- and that's a record for this car. The maintenance records you can see here:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/maint.html

I haven't updated that page for a few months, but the only things that's gone on since last September are a few oil changes and a new water pump. All labor performed by me.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
jadcock said:
My '97 Seville was purchased by my mother at a Cadillac dealership under their certified used car program. It was owned by an older couple who turned it in for a new '00 Seville. They were the original owners and put about 40,000 miles on the car. My mother had it for a few years, and then I got it in November of 2001.
Hmmmm, That's interesting! '97 Seville Traded in '00 Mom had it "A FEW YEARS" Then you got it in '01.....I'm tryin' to do the math here.........OK, I'm stumped!

Sorry Dude, It had to be done! LOL!!

To the point! My Seville has been a great car! I've had it since new. It is 12 years old now and has 155,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem with this car with the exception of the theft system override when the key switch went bad ( Repaired myself ) and the CCR System ( Replaced with KYB passive struts ) at 145,000 miles. All other issues have been routine maintenance....Brakes, tires and so forth. As I have stated many times in this site, I will never have any other car than a Cadillac again!

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
kcnewell said:
Hmmmm, That's interesting! '97 Seville Traded in '00 Mom had it "A FEW YEARS" Then you got it in '01.....I'm tryin' to do the math here.........OK, I'm stumped!

Sorry Dude, It had to be done! LOL!!
Okay, over a period of 2 years. "Couple" "few", whatever. :rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sorry Jason, I just couldn't resist!

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
My story is easy, Leased 01 SLS on January 16, 2001. I change the oil when the computer tells me to. I had to have the right driver wheel re-balanced, which was done for free. Dealership experience has been great. In illinois they would give you an escalade as a loaner car if you needed it.(the day i had my tire re-balanced i told them I NEEDED a loaner :) ) Moved to Tampa in 2002, dealer doesnt have Escalade loaner cars(just devilles), but they do have free good humor ice cream. Love the car, i fit in it well and i am a BIG guy near 7 foot 350 lbs. Will miss this one when lease is up at end of year. Not sure what next car will be. Wont buy another seville only because i dont want the lame duck model.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Personally, I think the only way to go with something like this is to buy new, or at least buy from someone you know. These cars are good, but they cant be neglected. I think my Q has been maintained good, because I talked to the previous owner and said there was never an issue, and he had it from about 42k to 112k. I like KCs the best, being that he hasnt had any thing go wrong except for the key thing and the passive struts. THATS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!!! Now I'd like to hear a 1 owner with that many miles on a northstar and have no problems!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my 2000 Eldorado for a week now and i'd have to say it's the best car i've ever owned or even driven. I love the way it turns for such a large heavy car. My previous car was a 93' deville and it turned like a tank (like it should). I am still trying to get used to the drastic difference in vehicles but so far I love every aspect of the eldorado!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Well Wes, Here's the deal.....My buddy Bob who will not go near a PC Has a '93 STS with 140,000 miles on it. The car has had the dreaded case half leak ( Fixed under warranty ) and one water pump. no other issues since new! The car looks and runs like new. The interior looks showroom new as do the carpets. He's the original owner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, he's been lucky. My 93' deville had 143,000 and had the anti-lock sensors replaced and the throttle control replaced. Other than that, no major breaks.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats what I like to hear. It is SUCH a shame to see all the northstars that are trashed because people wont take care of them. When I was car shopping, I was looking at a STS, and went up to it, looked good, nice paint, good interior, very nice car, and then I find out it has issues!! Tranny problems, and other things. So I had to settle for my Q :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ugh! I hate that. They are pretty low maintenance engines (for the most part) but people forget that there engine exists.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
That drives me insane........ Its even worse with the Q45s. If you are lucky enough to come across one cheap with low miles, it is most likely a junker with annual oil changes.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
These cars demand so little, yet most people keep giving less and less.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats right!

The only thing I can see why people say imports are more reliable (and they're really not) than american cars is, I guess people dont care enough to take care of them. Think about it, you get a olds cutlass (~95), spend 4000 on it, and your not going to want to drop 2000 in maintaining it PERFECTLY, and it may only take about 500/yr to do oil changes and stuff. But you go and spend 8200 on a BMW 325, maintain it perfectly, and it gives you problems, but for some reason you think that it is better built.

I guess if you want something to be the way you want it to, you can make it be that way. Its not REAL fact unless you present both sides of the story equally

·
Registered
30 Posts
True. If a car is always properly taken care of inluding garage kept, oil changes, trans check, and other basic tasks, any vehicle will last plenty of time. There are always exceptions to that but there are also exceptions for lots of people. LOL.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah.....Some people were just not meant to own cars! If you can't bring yourself to maintain the thing, Don't bitch when it breaks!

1 - 20 of 227 Posts