Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2002 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me my car doesnt need a new bearing because it doesnt chirp or squeal or grind.. so I dont think. Could a whirring noise during accelerate that gets higher when faster and then it gets slower and lower pitched when slowed, be a bent rim? I dont know what to fix an I dont qant to waste 100 bucks for an obvious issue, thanks!

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
827 Posts
Noise tied to engine speed or road speed?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,605 Posts
Could a whirring noise during accelerate that gets higher when faster and then it gets slower and lower pitched when slowed, be a bent rim?
Highly unlikely.

Check your P/S fluid.
Check your trans fluid.

Bearing test (if speed, not RPM related)
When you hear the noise, pull the wheel left and right, like a NASCAR driver warming his tires. If the noise comes and goes, it is a bearing. Which one? When you pull the wheel left, the car leans to the right and loads the right bearing and unloads the left. If the noise decreases, it's the left bearing. Conversely, if you pull the wheel right, the car leans to the left and loads the left bearing and unloads the right. If the noise decreases, it's the right bearing.

·
2002 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Please help me my car doesnt need a new bearing because it doesnt chirp or squeal or grind.. so I dont think. Could a whirring noise during accelerate that gets higher when faster and then it gets slower and lower pitched when slowed, be a bent rim? I dont know what to fix an I dont qant to waste 100 bucks for an obvious issue, thanks!
The noise only happens from one wheel area and it doesnt happen when car isnt in motion.
It seems like with
Roa

The noise only happens from one wheel area and it doesnt happen when car isnt in motion.

It seems like with

Roa
Road speed

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood
139 Posts
I agree with @Ranger definitely sounds like a bearing. Whirring noises that increase with intensity are almost a guarantee that it's a worn out bearing. Get that puppy replaced before it seizes and causes big issues!

·
2002 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'm going to go ahead an get a mechanic to check the front bearings so I can replace them if bad. Thank you!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,071 Posts
Ok, I'm going to go ahead an get a mechanic to check the front bearings so I can replace them if bad. Thank you!
=======================
be VERY careful in choosing a bearing -
I strongly recommend using either ACDelco or TIMKEN bearings -
unless you enjoy replacing them -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,963 Posts
Hub/bearing wear is pretty common, especially the fronts. They do a lot of work........ and you replace the entire front hub assembly, not just the "bearings".

Bring money - as far as bearings/hubs go you get what you pay for.

hub - front.jpg

·
2002 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought before the wheel bearing could be bad because of the noise, but after having mechanic road test it he said it's the transmission. It's very quiet but I hear it like wind howling in first and second gear shifting up and back down. Fluid looks red still, but semi black almost it is gettingtheree. 78000 miles,shoul change the fluid anand filter or just expect my transmission to break??

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,963 Posts
There are several ways to exchange some or all transmission fluid in a 4T80E.

From overhaul dry it takes just over 15 quarts of DEXRON-VI.
A pan drop and side tank drain takes about 12 quarts
A pan drop takes about 8+ quarts.

The pan screens get cleaned at a pan drop; the internal filter gets changed at overhaul teardown, transmission out of the car.

Perhaps the best way to exchange the most fluid is to make up a fitting/hose that attaches to the fluid discharge hose/pipe to the fluid cooler in the radiator. You get a 5 gallon drywall mud bucket, stick the hose in it, start the engine in P and let the transmission pump itself dry. Install the fluid discharge hose/pipe, drop the pan, clean it and the screens. Fill 12 quarts or so, idle the engine in P, check the dipstick. Adjust fluid to the COLD level. After a 10+ mile run, recheck and adjust (if necessary) fluid level on the HOT marks.

It's a dry sump transmission - NO fluid on the dipstick with the engine off for over 5 minutes.

If you do a pan drop and side tank drain you get about 3/4 of the total fluid capacity changed.

Transmission fill neck - cold OFF.JPG
4T80E side tank drain plug.jpg

·
2002 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow I'm impressed and very informed, I feel better about what need my mechanic to do. I'm going to request this procedure to them specifically. I love my 2002 cadillac deville, I will pay what I have to keep the girl if I have to rebuild transmission , I will. It only has 78000 miles and she came to me at a difficult time.

·
Super Moderator
86,605 Posts
Don't expect much from a fluid change. It is unlikely to solve a whirring noise. Kind of like expecting an oil change to solve a rod knock or a ticking lifter.

·
2002 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah , I assume the only benefit would be a new filter if installed and newer dexron, but i think if there is an issue with wear, i will get the trans rebuilt. If it helps the car foranother 5 thousand miles I'll be satisfied so i can save 2 grand for the work.

·
Super Moderator
86,605 Posts
Be advised that the trans filter is internal an can only be accessed by a tear down. There is a cleanable and reusable intake screen inside the pan.

·
2002 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, I didnt know about the screen, thanks ranger. I trust your advice, I am currently at coffeeshop waitingfor transmission tech to explain to my issue. Hoping it is not detrimental, but I am nipping it in the butt. Again, thanks ranger, i love my cadillac deville, an i will do anything to get her to an old age happily. I do not believe in waste , and my northstar at 79000 miles is not ready to go. I will updateshortly with my mechanics conclusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts