Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
XTS VSport Platinum
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some impressions from owners who have the car. I have an XTS VSport Platinum right now but my wife wants a smaller car. She test drove the CTS, liked it but wanted it to match her XTS. I guess she really enjoys the options and I know she likes the power of the car. She'll stomp it once in a while and really grin. My guess is the CTS is a bit faster with a bit more power and lighter curb weight.

I have a few questions if anyone can offer any thoughts. First, the XTS VS has notoriously bad rims and tires which cause some ride quality issues at certain speeds, does that exist in the CTS? Secondly there is no AWD so can someone comment on the foul weather driving? I'm not talking about 4 wheeling in deep snow but will it behave well enough to get home and get around on the days following? I do have 3 AWD Suvs at home for foul weather but you never know where you might be when a storm crops up.

How is the handling during sporty usage? How is the ride quality for just cruising or sailing around town? I haven't seen one myself so I'd ask how does the interior rank against the XTS Platinum VS (I'd order the premium)? What other cars did you consider?

We are back looking at some AMG models now that they offer 4matic but the VS isn't the fire breathing dragon that the AMG cars or the V for that matter are. I'd prefer to buy another Cadillac if it's worth the dough. I really enjoy the fit and finish on the interior on the XTS, I'll be sad to see it go.

Does anyone lease? How are the prices?

thanks in advance,
Rob

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Phantom Gray Performance
45 Posts
I would recommend staying away from CTS Vsport. It's a special kind of car that has value for somebody who will appreciate it. I don't think your wife will.

Secondarily, you will need winter tires in the winters. I love them but many people find it a pain. Your wife is probably one of them.

Finally, the ride will be firm on stock tires, just like the XTS Vsport with 20-inch wheels and magnetic ride control. Hey, it's a driver's car (unlike the XTS), so feeling the road is a good thing, right?

Go with the Germans!

·
Registered
XTS VSport Platinum
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you may have underestimated my wife who had a 2012 CLS63 Renntech car before the XTS. Trust me she gets the sports car thing, you should see her take my GT3 around the autocross (which I don't allow anymore). She feels it's too much of boat and wants something sportier again. The other car she is looking at is a C63 AMG. She just hasn't been able to test drive the VSport.

I think the biggest detractor would be the winter tire change but that could be manageable.

·
Registered
'14 V sport
88 Posts
It comes with high-performance summer rubber, so even with just temps below freezing and NO snow on the ground, its a handful unless you change out the tires. I don't find the ride to be bad at all on the stock setup. My previous 135i was far far worse. My Vsport has much more sidewall than that bimmer did.

·
Registered
CTS-Vsport, SRX
23 Posts
Let me start with a disclaimer: I've never sat in or driven an XTS of any flavor.

Based on the XTS configurator, the XTS VS platinum is AWD, has a curb weight of 4215 pounds and powertrain = 410HP/369TQ.
The CTS VS is rear-wheel drive and has a curb weight of 3984 pounds and powertrain = 420HP/430TQ.
Estimated Spousal Response: smiles - 230 pounds lighter and more HP/TQ.

I perused the interior of the XTS on the website and found it to be largely equivalent to the CTS - especially the premium package.
ESR: neutral - same high-quality interior

I find the ride quality in the CTS to be very good. It's not posh by historical Cadillac standards - which is a good thing - but you'll "feel the road"
for sure. I had a CTS-V before the VS and found that the VS felt lighter and more nimble. There's a notable difference between the Tour and Sport
mag suspension modes. Tour is good for cruising, sport is good for having some fun - I use sport mode most of the time. While handling is very
good, it's not as sharp as the ATS - it's a larger car.
ESR: smiles. She's aware of AMG/M/V/etc., so this could be a positive

I know that winter weather is not a strong suit for the CTS. RWD, summer tires (tire warranty mentions a 45 degree temperature requirement...)
You'll end up having to buy a set of rims/tires for winter use plus the hassle of swapping them out twice a year.
ESR: negative

The VS can be converted into a fire-breather with a little software magic. I recently bought the Trifecta tune and the difference is significant.
Previously, the car would perform if you dipped into the throttle pretty heavily. With the tune, the power is on tap immediately and the car
is much more engaging to drive. You have to adapt your driving style since some of the Cadillac refinement has been sacrificed for
performance - pro/con, it's up to you to determine. I don't have enough seat time to determine if the MPG will recover, but I'm sure
I'll lose 1-2 MPG.
ESR: ???

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can only comment on the winter driving being in Michigan. I swapped out the Pirelli's with Bridgestone All seasons and did not have any issues with traction. Sure, if you stomp on the gas you'll fishtail but it was certainly driveable this past winter. Only issue might be clearance if you don't get an immediate snow plow.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
The ride quality,even in Tour is a bit stiff, but as I'm sure you know with the XTS, It's hard to say stiff in MR is the same as stiff in conventional shocks.

The cornering is phenomenal, especially in Sport or Track mode.

At <5 sec 0-60 and >160 MPH top speed (personally verified) it's plenty of car for use on public roads.

I'm getting about 22 MPG average, and I'm not exactly babying it.

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
qbrozen said:
It comes with high-performance summer rubber, so even with just temps below freezing and NO snow on the ground, its a handful unless you change out the tires. I don't find the ride to be bad at all on the stock setup. My previous 135i was far far worse. My Vsport has much more sidewall than that bimmer did.
As long as there is no snow on the ground, I have driven my CTS-V coupe with temps as low as the teens (F). You obviously can't stomp on it, but it is far from a handful. I can't imagine the V-Sport is any worse.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,101 Posts
gohawks63 said:
As long as there is no snow on the ground, I have driven my CTS-V coupe with temps as low as the teens (F). You obviously can't stomp on it, but it is far from a handful. I can't imagine the V-Sport is any worse.
I also have a 2010 Camaro SS. The Pirelli P Zero summers are terrible when the temp gets to about 40 and below. They are like rocks and the ride is horrible. Just a little throttle and they'll light up. I can't imagine the V is any better. I threw on a square set of Pirelli Sottozero Series II RFs for the winter on my Vsport. They performed great this winter. We had a lot of snow in North Jersey. One night I was at a buddy's house. It snowed about 6" and I had to get up an unplowed incline. I watched a FWD SUV spin its wheels trying to get up the hill. It actually slid backward a few times. I thought to myself no way am I making it up. Guess what? My Vsport went right up, no slippage and just a slight loss of traction starting out. I had it in Snow/Ice mode. I'm a believer in winter tires. They're worth the small inconvenience of having them mounted/dismounted and expense.

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Theroider said:
I also have a 2010 Camaro SS. The Pirelli P Zero summers are terrible when the temp gets to about 40 and below. They are like rocks and the ride is horrible. Just a little throttle and they'll light up. I can't imagine the V is any better. I threw on a square set of Pirelli Sottozero Series II RFs for the winter on my Vsport. They performed great this winter. We had a lot of snow in North Jersey. One night I was at a buddy's house. It snowed about 6" and I had to get up an unplowed incline. I watched a FWD SUV spin its wheels trying to get up the hill. It actually slid backward a few times. I thought to myself no way am I making it up. Guess what? My Vsport went right up, no slippage and just a slight loss of traction starting out. I had it in Snow/Ice mode. I'm a believer in winter tires. They're worth the small inconvenience of having them mounted/dismounted and expense.
Everything you mentioned about your Camaro applies to the V. The tires are hard, the ride is firm and you need to be judicious about the throttle as you can't hook up.

I was just replying to the comment that the car is a handful, which in my opinion is still drive able.

Now if there is so much as a snowflake on the ground, the car is undrivable.

·
Registered
CTS Vsport
61 Posts
I think you may have underestimated my wife who had a 2012 CLS63 Renntech car before the XTS. Trust me she gets the sports car thing, you should see her take my GT3 around the autocross (which I don't allow anymore). She feels it's too much of boat and wants something sportier again. The other car she is looking at is a C63 AMG. She just hasn't been able to test drive the VSport.

I think the biggest detractor would be the winter tire change but that could be manageable.
Get your wife the M5 or AMG S Class.

If she had a cls63Ren she is going to want that insane amount of hp as opposed to our awesome amount of hp ;) You must love that GT3...a beautiful machine.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
No one is recommending the ATS-V (or CTS-V if you can wait)? There are many other 4 seat sport options out there that make more power or have this or that feature, but few speak to true drivers as well as the Alpha platform does. I don't think the ride is harsh at all, just hit a few buttons to match the personality of the car to the driving scenario. Unless you live totally off the grid you have all the weather info you need on your phone, so when you're standing at the key cabinet grab the Escalade keys if it shows any of those round white pointing icons in the immediate future. Why burden yourself will all the fun robbing weight when this doesn't have to be a DD??

·
Registered
'14 V sport
88 Posts
Everything you mentioned about your Camaro applies to the V. The tires are hard, the ride is firm and you need to be judicious about the throttle as you can't hook up.

I was just replying to the comment that the car is a handful, which in my opinion is still drive able.

Now if there is so much as a snowflake on the ground, the car is undrivable.
It is just a semantics thing. My definition of "handful" is not nearly the same as "undriveable."

I had a couple of puckering moments over the winter. It doesn't mean I didn't continue driving the car, it just made me far more cautious about dipping too far into boost, even on dry but salt-covered roads.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
10 Posts
Just recently purchased my '14 VSport during the dead of the winter (day before the first big snow of course). With the Pirellis on it, I actually feared for my life when the snow started falling. That day I went out and got Blizzaks, no problems since then, except drifts in unplowed areas. In Snow/Ice mode it does quite well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts