Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum - haven't yet purchased a V, but am seriously considering. Couple of ?'s.

Anyone from the DFW area?

Since I know if I buy, I will have to do a short-shifter (at least), who in DFW does that kinda work on Caddies?

I kinda feel weird even considering a Caddy, but the V is a good lookin ride, and 400 hp for the price they are asking is hard to beat. I'm in an 01 S4 now, and am also looking at the new S4. Obviously this is a bit of a biased place to ask the question, but I'd like to hear from people who have made a similar switch, what their opinions were (BTW, this would be my first American car). The prices are similar, but I think you get a bit more for the money with the V, and they seem much more willing to negotiate. Also considering a low mileage 05 CPO V.

TIA,

Yan

·
Registered
former 2005 CTS-V owner
404 Posts
:welcome: Welcome to the forum! I, among with everyone else here, will convince you to buy a V. Any mods to the Audi?? Didn't think so. The V o'plenty. It is an awesome car. :cheers:

Rock

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would stick with an '06...the '04's and '05s seem to be Caddi's step children. First the '06s get two free NAVI updates...where the '04/5s will quite probably not even be able to purchase any updates. Second we got shafted on the rears...while a few people have gotten the better rated '06 rear ends under warranty, some other's have had their warranties denied(due to mods) and have had to pay for a busted rear which is crap IMO because the rear is WAY under rated for the power the V makes. But the '04/5s do have the LS6 engine. It is more of a prestigious motor, even though the '06s that come with the LS2 have more power potential due to the extra cubes.

But compared to your current car, and even the new S4...you will LOVE the raw power and sound the Vs have. You will not be disappointed in the twisties either. The only area you might find the V lacking is in the interior quality/refinement even though the V is among the better of the American cars.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I drove a VW for years. I know it isn't the S4, but I was a major German car guy untill the V. I will say it is a little different the all wheel drive, but way faster, way more fun. Welcome. Just stop delaying, go get it and start modding.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)
1,667 Posts
TraitorS4 said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum - haven't yet purchased a V, but am seriously considering. Couple of ?'s.

Anyone from the DFW area?

Since I know if I buy, I will have to do a short-shifter (at least), who in DFW does that kinda work on Caddies?

I kinda feel weird even considering a Caddy, but the V is a good lookin ride, and 400 hp for the price they are asking is hard to beat. I'm in an 01 S4 now, and am also looking at the new S4. Obviously this is a bit of a biased place to ask the question, but I'd like to hear from people who have made a similar switch, what their opinions were (BTW, this would be my first American car). The prices are similar, but I think you get a bit more for the money with the V, and they seem much more willing to negotiate. Also considering a low mileage 05 CPO V.

TIA,

Yan
Welcome to the forum Yan.

I bought my V a month ago and have put on Magnaflow exhaust and a Volant Cold Air Intake. The shifter is due to arrive today, along with bushings from Lindsay Cadillac. I just got out the yellow pages ans started calling Cadillac dealers in the area. I finally found one that has done one, the other dealer said they don't get into putting on aftermarket stuff. I'm sure in the DFW area there should be at least one dealer that could help you out.

I've never ever riden in an S4, but have passed a few on the track in my Corvette.:thumbsup:

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
I had the 2001.5 S4, and the difference is LIGHTYEARS APART. The Audi was silky smooth (I had the GIAC Chip) and the interior was very Teutonic and refined. I moved to the V and it is a much more visceral ride, you feel the road, the motor noise is intoxicating the shifts are rougher yet more satisfying...in short the V is the rock star while the S4 was an opera singer, both music, but at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Enjoy the V, youll NEVER regret it.

F

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V, completely stock
193 Posts
Hey Traitor!

Where are you in Richardson? Do you drive the Blue S4 I see around here w/ wheels & tasteful drop?

I work at the corner of Arapaho & Plano Rd, and can go on & on for you about how much I love my V. Don't let all the problems discussed on this board scare you away. Both mods & performance related problems seem to be overly common on message boards because the enthusiasts on the boards tend to get more excited about them. I will say, though....plan on budgeting for a 2nd set of tires under 10,000 miles, even if you don't drive it that hard.

S4's are sweet, but you'll love the LS6 grunt & growl!

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Hey welcome, you and I are similar in many ways.

By the end of this month, I will have my 06 on order. I also am currently driving an Audi, only I have the A6 2.7T. I decided on the Caddy after looking at the Audi and 550. Bang for buck you cant beat it, plus having low end torque on demand is very appealing. I crave that now with the Turbo and get none of it.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Audi and it was a great car, but I am really looking forward to getting back to plain ole american muscle. There is nothing like it. Pure excitement.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If you can get an 05 at a good deal, jump on it. THe 06 other than having the LS-2 is really the same car for more money. Advantages, if any are small.
The 06 diff still jumps around.JMO

Im still trying to figure out what the facination is with these nav units. Most people know how to get where they are going. Unless you do a lot of traveling in unchartered territory it has some value. I have found that they rarely get you anywhere directly, they just get you there. I wish they had a Nav delete so that I could have installed an nice DVD player and killer stereo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm up in Frisco, Tx and want a shifter too, I'll let you know if I find a good installer. I moved from a BMW and the V is the Shiznit! Torque is addicting I have found, and the car is just exciting to drive. I was real worried that I wouldn't have that "German ride and drive" in the Caddy (was like you, no American cars), however I think the feel, control and turn in is even better!
Go for it. It's a freakin bargain and ton's o' fun.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Greetings TraitorS4, welcome to the forum.

I'm in Plano and a new V owner as well. I purchased mine new at Sewell in Dallas (an 05) and traded in a Nissan Murano. Tired of the ho-hum drive and wanted it to be fun again. No Mods have been done to mine yet, other than replacing the air filter with a K&N. More than likely my first expense is going to be replacing the Goodyear F1 run-flats with tires that have better rain performance before the rainy months here in Mar - May. Like someone else suggested, go down to the dealership and testdrive one for yourself and decide how it compares to your Audi. The Proof is in the Pedal :)

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Pre-doomed.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Go for the V.. The thing's just a beast. You shoudl watch the Top Gear review on the CTS-V, they raced it against a new S4 on a track, and even with the Quattro, the V left it in the dust.

·
Registered
187 Posts
First, Drive a V. You'll be sold after that. 2nd, to compare to your S4, on www.cadillacfaq.com there is a video from Top Gear of a V vs an S4. It wails on the S4. Third, no car is perfect, the V and S4 including...so they'll all have some type of problem. Who cares. Thats why you have warranty! :) Just get one...I bought mine 7 months ago and still speedwalk the last 10 feet getting to my car just cuz I can't wait to drive her. Looove the V!

Ladis

·
Registered
339 Posts
I blew my car a kiss today when I was walking up to it. Really. I did. (FWIW, I felt like a dumb ass afterwards, but the damn car is intoxicating.)

Other things I did this week to get to drive it:

- Drove to put gas in.
- Wento to the grocery store to buy milk (had milk in the fridge.)
- I've rented more movies this week then all of last year combined.
- Gone out of a resturant and moved it because someone parked too close.

So, I guess I'm trying to say, you'll enjoy the hell out of this car.

If you do get it, get the FG2s. Nice, tight ride...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts