Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Seville SLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping around for replacement struts for my 1999 SLS w/ f45 suspension setup. I would really like to go OEM, but can't afford to spend almost $700 per strut(GM Parts Giant) . Has anybody tried the Monroe struts. Part #40021 and 40022. I want to keep everything as stock as possible and the Monroe option seems like the only way to stay stock, but at half the price. Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated...

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Try Chris Rippys Parts Deparment RippyPartsMaster here i think maybe thats not spelled right but you can find him its easy
hes up in Vendors
i forget what his pricing was for the OEM F45 struts i think they where a bit under 700 with shipping per but maybe im wrong

the Monroe i have heard one person say they did not last long and wore out fast and another person said they are going good

Me unless i have the 1400 for NEW OEM struts im going to end up looking for low mile used at junk yards for probably around 150 each at least the price of them here in cleveland if you buy them by the pair you can get them between 150-300 for the pair depending on the miles

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
You would be rendering a state of the art suspension system for that period defunct.

It would be a shame to loose the handling characteristics only the OEM struts provide.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
The Other thing wich i don;'t know if anyone ever was able to prove or show stats on it is that Monroe and OEM are the same struts just labeled with Acdelco OEM and Monroe for the Aftermarket replacement strut
iv heard this once or twice but never been shown any proof on it yet ]
and untill someone could show me proof of it
i would go with used OEM over Aftermarket any day for these
and if it came down to it im dumb enough to take a personal loan out just to pay for 2 front struts lol

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
96 Posts
The Monroe struts aren't a bad way to go. To me it is completely ridiculous to put more money in suspension parts that the car is worth just to maintain it in factory shape. I have the Monroe struts and they aren't that bad, sure it doesn't handle as nice as one with the factory system working properly but it still is a nice driving/riding car.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
The Monroe struts aren't a bad way to go. To me it is completely ridiculous to put more money in suspension parts that the car is worth just to maintain it in factory shape. I have the Monroe struts and they aren't that bad, sure it doesn't handle as nice as one with the factory system working properly but it still is a nice driving/riding car.
i didnt know that monroe made a Aftermarket Active struts or shock for the 97 and older
are you talking you put passive monroes on yours or did you go wwith a active monroe ?

·
Registered
2000 Seville/07 CTS
27 Posts
I just put sensa trac monroes on my 2000 sls and ac/delco air on the rear had to bypass the sensors and put i diff spring in the rear compresor, but the ride is nice specailly considering that oem would have run me $ 2500 versus under $300 and that included the new strut mounts as mine were gone and the spring comp, I bought to do the job and that included the shipping and the $1 resistor pac from radio shack. Only took 5 hours to do the entire job including changing one axle and the brakes.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I just put sensa trac monroes on my 2000 sls and ac/delco air on the rear had to bypass the sensors and put i diff spring in the rear compresor, but the ride is nice specailly considering that oem would have run me $ 2500 versus under $300 and that included the new strut mounts as mine were gone and the spring comp, I bought to do the job and that included the shipping and the $1 resistor pac from radio shack. Only took 5 hours to do the entire job including changing one axle and the brakes.
acdelco makes a air shock that is not electronic F45 ? for these cars
what els did you do to the back you had to put resistors on front and back right ? or how did you get the air leveling to stay on and the Electronic adjust to stay off in the rear ?

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
You would be rendering a state of the art suspension system for that period defunct.

It would be a shame to loose the handling characteristics only the OEM struts provide.
The monroe parts numbers mentioned are aftermarket equivalents to the OEM shocks, electronic valving and all. I installed a pair on my front corners at 105K or so, 52K miles later they seem to be holding up OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts