Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 seville's HG is failing. I've tested it with the `beaker test` (not sure of the formal name :)) and the fluid turned yellow.

The car was a family gift, so i haven't put any money into it. Because of this, I'm thinking about going ahead and fixing the HG.

While the engine is out, what else should I consider having done?

Thanks for your time!
jw

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
Welcome Aboard !!!!..............:highfive:

Mileage ??? IF the engine was clean and quiet there's no sense pulling the lower end - the crank and bearings are forever. Same for pistons and rings - if the car is/was getting over 1,500 miles to the quart of 10W-30 oil then it will continue to do that.

Heads, cam followers and cams. Your engine uses flat-tappet style followers (valve lifters). The newer "starburst" energy-conserving oils have significantly less anti-scuff protection than the older SL oils. Have your mechanic take a GOOD look at the cams and followers - you would not be the first to see dished followers and worn cam lobes. Know that the cams are scarce, hideously expensive, and followers are close to the same. Maybe junkyard/low mileage engine parts time. New valve stem seals. All 3 timing chains are probably OK, but take a close look at the nylon slipper chain guides and tensioners. The harmonic balancer torque/degree sequence is critical: that torque is what insures that the friction drive to the oil pump will operate: too little torque and no oil pressure on startup.

Consider running a 10W-30 fleet or marine oil - Shell Rotella, Chevron DELO, or Pennzoil LongLife. These SL/SM/CI/CJ specified oils carry a much higher ZDDP (anti-scuff) additive package than the current automotive starburst oils. Your cams and followers will love you.

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The car has around 120k. It also had an oil leak somewhere on the firewall side of the engine.

It's sad, I had the car for 3 months and I have fallen in love with the ride, then this happened :/

I'm worried about finding someone to do the work. I'm in a small town :/

Thanks for your time!
Jw

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,163 Posts
You might consider taking care of that oil leak (if it's bad enough) while the engine is out and it is accessible.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS Luxury III 135K
453 Posts
my engine was rebuilt by the previous owner about 54,000 miles ago because the water pump like exploded and pieces went down into the cam shaft and destroyed it so when he got it rebuilt he put performance parts back into the engine and it costed $3,500 from cadillac

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
There is no way on earth that water pump parts could get into a camshaft - MAYBE the water pump drive pulley on the front (left) intake cam extension disintegrated, in which case that's a 30 minute pull/replace job, but there's still no way for anything from that pulley to reach the cam lobes or bearings.

There are NO Northstar "performance parts" available from or installed by Cadillac.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS Luxury III 135K
453 Posts
Hmmm maybe i misheard him but the engine was definitely rebuilt by cadillac and it had something to do with the water pump going out and also something about revision parts being put in and the performance he lied i need to really stop trusting people oh well the car runs

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
I like when I see Cadillac salesmen sentences like:
-Fully loaded (especially when is about an SLS)
-Driven by an old man (and it has tinted windows, loud aftermarket mufflers)
-Performance parts (has at least 320 HP)

The true is:
- There are not many available options, most of the cars are the same (except 2 options for stereo, CD changer, Cell phone, rims, TPS, park assist). Leather seats, dual climate control, wood trims, ABS,T/C, ELC ... are standard. By definition SLS is the lower trim level but that's about it.
- Why would a old man purchase a STS (the sport and more expensive model), put tinted windows, aftermarket rims, loud exhaust? You can purchase a SLS with base sound, better low end power/torque and better on gas for about 10% or more lees. Most people can tell the difference.
- The performance parts are the ones the car came from factory, any other "performance" part is a downgrade. These cars were build to be the best they can be, aftermarket parts are made to be affordable but are passed as "performance".
There were very few revised parts most subject of some recall (or you may hear of "second design"). That may be what was passed to you as "performance" part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts