Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the 02-06 board for a while now. I want to get an 07 Escalade with 115k miles... I can get it for $22,500 .... The car is CLEAN, not a dent or ding, runs and drives fine. It black on black, has the chrome 18's, 3rd row seat and Navigation.

My question is what can I expect to go wrong with it with this many miles? Any common problems with this generation I can expect? Is this a decent price? Sorry If this annoys anyone, I tried searching but couldn't find much on this topic.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Eh... Our first '07 had 100k and it was 25k with the 22's so fairly similar situation. The piston slap by that many continuous miles had gotten so bad that it did it even after cooling off for a couple of hours, the 6 speed transmissions are a first year item in the '07 Lade and are very finicky. The thing that ended up causing the dealer to buy back that first one was in fact a transmission issue they spent $4000.00 chasing and never completely fixed. If it's an AWD there will almost certainly be heavy wear and tear on the AWD system and front differential.

Only two ways I would buy that truck... METICULOUS service records INCLUDING differential and transmission fluid changes (at least two by now) and a price of 20k or less. Never again will I purchase a vehicle that new with that many miles. The one they replaced it with has half the mileage and wasn't all that much more expensive considering they let us keep the rims from the first one. I also didn't even need the extended warranty I wasted money on the first time because the second one has a year of warranty left.

My recommendation right now, is to wait a couple months and if gas crests 4.00 a gallon (which it almost certainly will), I guarantee you will have NO trouble finding any shortage of Escalades with far lower mileage for just a few grand more than 22k. Hell, when I started our search a while back, there was a White Diamond truck on 18s and all other options with 91k for 22991 at Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas, and the deal I really regret missing out on was a dark blue 2WD (I don't need the AWD anyway) with Nav, 18s and the power running boards 65k miles also in Dallas for 25980.

·
Registered
NONE
1,042 Posts
I have been in the 02-06 board for a while now. I want to get an 07 Escalade with 115k miles... I can get it for $22,500 .... The car is CLEAN, not a dent or ding, runs and drives fine. It black on black, has the chrome 18's, 3rd row seat and Navigation.

My question is what can I expect to go wrong with it with this many miles? Any common problems with this generation I can expect? Is this a decent price? Sorry If this annoys anyone, I tried searching but couldn't find much on this topic.
Wind noise on the drivers side when on the expressway. Piston slap seems to be the other issue... Whats up dude?

·
Registered
NONE
1,042 Posts
My recommendation right now, is to wait a couple months and if gas crests 4.00 a gallon (which it almost certainly will), I guarantee you will have NO trouble finding any shortage of Escalades with far lower mileage for just a few grand more than 22k. Hell, when I started our search a while back, there was a White Diamond truck on 18s and all other options with 91k for 22991 at Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas, and the deal I really regret missing out on was a dark blue 2WD (I don't need the AWD anyway) with Nav, 18s and the power running boards 65k miles also in Dallas for 25980.
We here in Chicago already. $4 per gallon...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing... been away from the forums for a while, sold my 03.... I have a 07 BMW 328xi coupe right now but its too damn small.... I may wait till gas creeps up and go for an 08 If the prices fall below $30k w/ less than 75k miles

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Smart man, the '07s have a lot of bugs and once a large majority of the country starts feeling that $4.00 pain, dealers will be *begging* you to take the things off their hands. During the '08 gas crunch I paid 17k for an '06 Blue Chip one owner 'Lade with Sunroof and Nav in pristine condition. Same truck right now has crept all the way back up to 25-26k at some dealers. Rude awakening is about to happen again.

·
Registered
Escalade EXT
3 Posts
Just bought (3 weeks ago) an 07 with 73k for $29.5...couple of issues covered by powertrain warranty:

Oil leak on oil pan...replaced by dealer (would have been ~$500)
Rear differential bearing going bad...replaced by dealer (would have been ~$800)
High pressure transmission cooling lines leaking...replaced by dealer...not warranty but covered as part of sale (~$350)
I do have the wind noise on driver's side...estimate from dealer ~$350 but it's not that bad to me
Battery is getting weak...will probably need a replacement soon...~$120
I'm not sure the front differential and transfercase were serviced so that's next followed by a transmission flush...~$350-400.

That's about all I can think of...I suppose it's pretty normal stuff for a GM car approaching 100k.

Overall, I really like the car and it is absolutely awesome and plush. Definitely eye-catching and fun to drive.

By the way, can anyone with the piston slap problem give a description...I don't think mine's got it but as long as I'm in the warranty I'd like to look out for it? Also, what symptoms did you have on the transmission issue?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smart man, the '07s have a lot of bugs and once a large majority of the country starts feeling that $4.00 pain, dealers will be *begging* you to take the things off their hands. During the '08 gas crunch I paid 17k for an '06 Blue Chip one owner 'Lade with Sunroof and Nav in pristine condition. Same truck right now has crept all the way back up to 25-26k at some dealers. Rude awakening is about to happen again.
yup! I got my 03 with 70,000 miles for $14,000 in 08. Funny thing is I sold it for $15,000 with 100,000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts