Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason i've always loved these cars. my wife & even a couple of my friends think i'm crazy. they don't know what i see in them. i've always stayed away from them due to all the problems i've heard they have.

anyway, i am considering getting a 2001 catera sport for my daily driver. i plan on throwing some 19's maybe some 20's on it.

currently i drive a 2005 CTS on 22's, but is more of my weekend car. i don't take it if i have to go to a parking lot. the car i drive during the week is my 2002 towncar which is also on 22' & its bagged, which i am selling because i want a smaller regular car as my daily driver. and i try to sneak off in the wifeys 2005 aviator whenever i can.

so please everyone, let me know if the catera sport is a good idea...

(here a pic on my two cars together)

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hello?!?!

damn!!! is there anyone in the catera forums?!?

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I am the proud owner of a 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport. No Cadillac before the Catera has ever handled like this. No floating on a cloud feel to this car. The ride is closer to Corvette than Cadillac. I absolutely love this car. It's had a few issues that I've had to address like weeping cam covers and a leaking heater valve but I expected things like this with a used Catera. So far the oil cooler is OK but my cam belt tensioner is due for replacement. I wish there was a way to convert the cam belt to a chain but regardless, I accept this and her other quirks as part of owning the best handling car I've ever owned.

Crisp handling is more important to me than top speed bragging rights. As big as this country is there are no autobahns on which to explore the far reaches of the speedometer. This baby turns like a go-kart. When the money appears I'll add lowering springs, premium sport dampers, and strut braces front and rear. I'll probably add upgraded control arm bushings and wheel alignment eccentric bolts too. I'll also add dimpled & slotted discs with performance pads. I've already got bigger GTO front brake calipers that replaced the stock ones. Nothing wrong with the Cat Sport's handling or brakes but I don't know many enthusiasts that can leave well enough alone. I briefly ran autocross years ago, before being a responsible father took precedence, and would like to feel that kind of performance again.

Like I said I love the car, but would love her even more had Opel performed an engine swap. I generally like the 3.0L engine. I've owned motorcycles for almost thirty years (I currently ride a Kawasaki Concours) so I'm used to high reving engines, and boy does this engine like to spin. Sounds like a racecar. I do wish it didn't seem so delicate though. The 3.0's reliability, or lack of it, is the problem.The 3.2L from the CTS will fit but if they're not a big improvement in both departments then why bother swapping. I'm told the 3.6L won't fit the Catera. While I'm not really looking for "V" type power, the LS1 5.7L V8 would've been nice. Power plus reliability. I could show the Beemers my ass with that under the hood. The Aussies put the LS1 in their Holden Commodores. I wish Opel or Cadillac had done the same.

You can keep your BMWs, Benzs, and Audis. I prefer Opel's styling, especially over the origami look that Cadillac has embraced. I seriously dislike their creased and folded sheetmetal. All those flat panels turn me off. (No disrespect to you or your CTS) The Catera's rounder, smoother sheetmetal is more pleasing to my eye. I added a personal touch to my Cat with new 17 inch alloy wheels to carry my snow tires. The spokes are thinner than the Sport's stock "chunky" ones. I think 17 or 18 inch tires are the best compromise between sharp handling and ride harshness. I'd like to add a few body pieces like a Steinmetz front spoiler, side skirts, and a black mesh grille to make her stand out. I don't want to go over the top, just some subtle updates. Those kits are hard to come by over here as the Catera was never a big seller. There's little aftermarket suport for her here so I'll have to order from the UK or Germany for what I want.

Is this what you were looking for?

·
Registered
2000 Catera
314 Posts
I have a 2000 sport. Bought it with 56k about 2 years ago. So far I have had three major issues with it. The very common crankshaft sensor, EBTCM computer and power steering pump failing. Other than that it runs and rides like the day I bought it. I have 123k on it now. I absolutly love this car. If you can afford the mantience go for it. It has increddible power and pick-up. I do my own work so I save a Sh*tload of $$$! And being able to do that is key with this car. If not, you will HATE it because the dealer rapes your pockets hardcore! This car is my fantasy race car. It completly blows away all those annoying hondas with the fart pipes, also Pontiac GTPs ect. This car is fast. On the highway that is. Tops out at 129, with about 1500 rpms left before redline. You can actually feel the car do a nosedive when the limiter kicks in. Take it off and watch out! Off the line, not so good. But.... you can really burn the tires! It's a high rpm engine. If you have the option to buy a good warranty, DO IT! I made that mistake of turing it down, to save a couple dollars. I really regret it. Think of this car as a high maintence gorgeous girlfriend! lol. The ride is worth it all.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i'm not to worried about speed or even handling or i obviously wouldn't even consider a catera. if i got one i'd definatly throw some 20's on it, and probably woudn't go over the speed limit. there's just somthing about these cars i really like.

from what i've read, even on these forums, i wouln't even consider a 97-99. it seems like the newer ones don't have quite as many problems, but i'm curious how much better are the newer ones, or are they even better. i do like the body styling on the newer ones for sure, especially the sport models. also, i don't like the tail lights on the older ones, and for some reason i think they look a lot older (or is it just my imagination).

here is one catera i am looking at on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=300138982386&rd=1

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I'd stay away from that one if I were you. It was looking good until he showed the oil filler cap. That mayonaise-like residue under the cap looks like the oil cooler may be leaking. In the L81 engine the oil cooler is immersed in the engine coolant. It lives in a channel under the intake manifold and if it cracks the oil and coolant mix together. If left alone the main bearings, and all metal/metal contact surfaces, will be damaged.

The mayo can also be created by a combination of normal water condensation and quick short trips. This type of slime is usually white in color. The water will boil off once the engine is warmed to full running temp and the mayo will disappear. The slime in the photo looks too dark to just be water. IMHO it's either oil & coolant, burnt bearings, or blow-by from the rings. I could be wrong. I'm no expert but I'd pass this one just the same.

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
that is a beauty on ebay, i have the 01. all the same except it is not the sport. i bought it for $5100 in feb. 07 with 56,000 florida miles. i purchased an extended warranty, through warranty direct, thank god. my wife has put 6,000 miles on it so far. it runs great and reminds us for our previous mercedes 300e and c280. we had a group of minor problems......steering pump, idler arms, tires and serpintime belt etc. which the warranty covered except for the tires.
after researching and interacting with this forum. i wouldn't purchase unless you get and extended warranty. unless you are an auto mechanic. my mechanic is always in fear of my cat breaking down, thats how much he hates working on it. and he works on many exotic cars in palm beach.
i say if you can pick that one up for $4500 or less and add the $1300 for the warranty, your in. otherwise keep looking. there is always some choice cats on ebay or autotrader.
good luck, robert:thumbsup:

that is a sweet cts also!!

hey elvin, did you ever get that euro grille and emblem on?.....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where do i go to get a warranty on one?

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
yeah, i'm not to worried about speed or even handling or i obviously wouldn't even consider a catera.[/URL]

That is kind of what the car is all about. The catera orginated as a Vauxhall Carlton. It got picked up by Opel (and renamed the Omega) about the same time Lotus (Lotus Carlton & Lotus Omega) picked it up. Lotus refined the suspension and steering to what it was on our versions.

lotuscarlton01.jpg
lotuscarlton02.jpg

Of course Lotus did use an inline six with a T-25 Garret turbo and a six speed Corvette transmission. 0-60mph in under 5 seconds. 175 MPH top speed and for it's day it was the fast four door ever made.

In my opinion the Catera handles and steers way better then a CTS.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my opinion the Catera handles and steers way better then a CTS.
well, i've gotta disagree w/ you on that one.

and so does this edmunds artice - "Looking at the bigger picture, the Cadillac CTS is certainly a huge improvement over its predecessor, the lowly Catera. The place we noticed the most improvement is how incredibly solid the car feels on the road. The stiff chassis and well-tuned suspension work brilliantly together, delivering plenty of feedback without ever feeling harsh or uncomfortable as did the Catera. The steering is precise with a solid on-center feel and a good balance of power assist. Although the sport model did feel a bit more capable during aggressive maneuvers, the Luxury model was still impressive and should have little trouble holding its own against any of its established competitors. But is it good enough to take a significant bite out of the hotly contested entry-level luxury sport sedan market? YES!"

but as i said, i'm not wanting the catera for the speed or its handling. as i didn't get my CTS or Towncar for those reasons either. i just really like the way it looks and think it would look great w/ a nice set of 20's. and i like the interior.

ALSO, i took a look at warranty direct, and it looks like a great thing. can i get some input from someone who has this warranty on their catera and how it works. what all does the warranty cover, and what type of places can you use it at, and do they give you any problems? etc. etc.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!!! I have a 98 catera and I hate it! I'm having some work done to it tomorrow because it broke down the other day. It's the same problems that everyone else is dealing with (crankshaft sensor, replacing wire from battery to alternator). Plus I already replaced the engine oil cooler. Trust me don't do it. I got a really good deal with mine so all the costs are kind of worth it, but I 'm still considering getting rid of it. I'm even struggling with selling this crap, lemon car to someone else.

·
Registered
Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd
305 Posts
Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts