Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2003 DTS which I love but im sitting at 161000 miles so its time to have a 2nd car as a daily driver.. im considering an ATS because of price. But im afraid it may be to small. So before I go to the dealership and get harrassed for months.. would you say an ats is the size of a malibu or cruze? And are you comfortable in your ats or is it really tight? If any of you have owned a dts you know u can sit n spread out like ur at home on couch

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I used to own a Cadillac Seville STS '99. Your DTS and my STS share the same powertrain and platform. And now I own an ATS. Surely ATS is smaller than a STS or DTS; much smaller. However, ATS design follows a totally different "ideology". The main idea is that to be comfortable in the driver's seat you don't necessarily need tons of space, rather sometimes a smaller, but supportive seat can be more comfortable than a big seat that doesn't provide enough support.
I am a single guy, and I actually didn't need to drive that huge car around the town. This smaller car fits my needs better. And much more important, this little guy can do some special stuff!

I would say go and test drive the car. Please make sure that:
1- You are not entering to the car with a predetermined mindset about the car size and the amount of space you need to feel comfortable. Just test drive the car to see how it feels.
2- Base and luxury trims don't have very comfortable seats. Test drive performance or premium trims.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The ATS is not big. How tall/heavy are you? Plenty of room in the front seats, but the car is narrower than what you are use to. Rear seats are ok for an adult for short trips, leg room is tight if front seats are most or all the way back.

CTS may be a better fit.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The ATS is a drivers car, not a car to haul more than 2 people in. When I drive to lunch with my cheap co-workers that consistently "forget" their car keys when we meet in the lobby for lunch, I tell them, first person to complain about the cramped back seat gets dropped off at the curb. No one has complained, they actually said it's ok. Did I mention they are really cheap, and they probably just want me to keep driving to lunch.

I'm 6-1, and have plenty of room in the driver's seat. The seat will adjust really low. Lower than any car I have driven. It gives me plenty of hear room and I have plenty of leg room too. I wish the steering wheel would telescope closer to me however.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Once in a while I too haul 2-3 adult passengers in my ATS. And they seem to be comfortable in the back seat. However, I should mention that these trip are normally short, e.g. going to have a launch, or returning back from a bar or dinner. The back seats seem to be comfortable enough for short trips.

C

·
0 Posts
Coming from a 2nd gen CTS the ATS is small and basically a 4 door coupe with a useless back seat area IMO. I would at least take a luxury, performance or premium trim ATS out for an actual test drive before before making my mind up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think the ATS has plenty of seating space, but I'm 5'6" and my wife is 5'1", so the backseat ends up looking like one in a much bigger car when we're up front. The small trunk is a bigger problem for me, but it generally gets it done. With that being said, if you are tall and you expect to be driving around other adults often, this (and any other car in this class) probably isn't the car for you. Then again, it sounds as if you're going to keep your DTS, so maybe a second, smaller car would work great.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Coming from a 2nd gen CTS the ATS is small and basically a 4 door coupe with a useless back seat area IMO. I would at least take a luxury, performance or premium trim ATS out for an actual test drive before before making my mind up.
I totally understand that things like this are subjective. However I believe useless is a little stretch for backseats of ATS. Back seats of Audi TT, Lotus, or Porsche 911 are what I call useless. Back seats of ATS are useful to some degree.

C

·
0 Posts
I totally understand that things like this are subjective. However I believe useless is a little stretch for backseats of ATS. Back seats of Audi TT, Lotus, or Porsche 911 are what I call useless. Back seats of ATS are useful to some degree.
I disagree useless is not a stretch and keep in mind I did not buy an ATS for the room in the back seat, But it is just as useless as my old G5GT and Firebird the only difference is I have a back door to open to throw my handbag and daybag in the back seat area.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im 6 ' 160lb ur right I need to sit in it I just hate dealer harassment

----------

Only occupants would be me and my 2 yr old or me n my gf

----------

My question remains size of malibu or cruze ive driven both of those

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
^
I rented a Malibu about one year ago, and back then I hadn't got my new ATS yet. But as much as I remember, the driver seat size and space were similar to ATS.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm 6ft 1 and 190pds and fit in the drivers seat fine. I also haul around my three kids in the back. It's a nice comfortable smaller car with awesome handling and driving dynamics.

Make sure you take out at least a luxury trim or higher. The base seats aren't as comfortable. Also the luxury has a split folding rear seat. (Important with kids or if you want o cart around a bike or similar)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I found a performance with 10k miles for 29k... im big on getting the LEDs
back seat on the performance does not fold down, although it has ski pass-through. Make sure your stroller, pack-n-play etc will fit.
The Premium will fold down rear seat and has mag ride. If you are use to an older caddy, you may value the slighter softer ride of the mag shocks in tour setting for day to day use.

C

·
0 Posts
I have had Malibu rentals never sat in the back but the space in the front from the drivers position is comparable IMO
I occasionally drive with my 5yr old nephew it is not to bad but it does make me think to my self that if I had a kid I would be driving something else.

·
Registered
390 Posts

----------

----------

I think you'll have no problems with the ATS. I'm 6'7" and the car is plenty comfortable for me, of course I don't usually have someone sitting behind me. If I do, it gets cramped. The back seat is definitely small, but at 6 feet with only a child sitting behind you, I think you'd be fine.

I attempted to sit in a Cruze in a showroom when they first came out. It did not go well.

As far as dealer harassment, fake numbers are the way to go. I give 'em all the time.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Most new GM vehicles have front occupancy designed around GM's new parameters which is 90% of Americans which leaves the difficult to fit in the car at the bottom and top 5% which equates to a female shorter than 4'10" and a male taller than 6'2" so from a front seat perspecteive you're fine in any GM car and they should all fit about the same.

I'm 6'2" and my ATS fits great, but i eat up the back seat, is the back seat usable...most definitely, if i share my leg room with the back (basically make the car fit like a Honda or KIA) i suddenly have a usable back seat and have a drivers compartment no worse than the lions share of cars out there for someone of my height....and I've put this to use .... i actually have given my mother-in-law an all day tour of San Diego starting in Carlsbad and ending at the Carrillo national monument with my wife 5'10" sitting behind me, her mother in the passenger seat my toddler in her car seat behind my mother-in-law and we all had a great day no issues.

as far as DTS goes vs the ATS they both have 42.5 inches of front leg room so you should have no worries, unless as part of the roominess you're looking for a bench seat in which case you'll have to get used to a center console and i know some people don't like those being close to their leg and hip.

i don't know what price range you're shopping but ATS ranges from $33k to $53k and CTS ranges from $46k to $70K......so if you might be in the $46k to $53K range you might want to consider cross shopping the new CTS because that bad boy has an amazing 45.7 inches of leg room

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
36 Participants
chockaday