Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is actually my first post here, but hopefully, there will be many more to come.

Here's my situation:

I'm planning to give my car (Scion xD) to my sister when she gets her license (soon), and get something with a bit of panache.

The CTS-V seems to have plenty of it, and can be bought for Camry money.

My main concern is the differential issue. Do LS2 CTS-Vs have a smaller likelihood of issues? Also, would you say that the engine, in general, is a reliable one?

My current car is bulletproof, which is certainly nice.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,811 Posts
If you drive it like you're trying to break it, don't be surprised if it breaks.

LSX engines are pretty stout and will take to mods without failing (usually).

The V weighs about 4k lbs so you need to consider that if you think you are gonna throw it around like a Scion.

If you get one, make sure you have not matched out your credit cards.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,112 Posts
Ahem, these are under 3900lbs empty and with FG2 shocks I think they are fairly tossable. I admit the long wheelbase adds a sort of "polar moment" feel to the car, but it turns in nice and rotates as you approach the limit.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,811 Posts
Ahem, these are under 3900lbs empty and with FG2 shocks I think they are fairly tossable. I admit the long wheelbase adds a sort of "polar moment" feel to the car, but it turns in nice and rotates as you approach the limit.
You need to count the driver and at least 1/2 tank of gas also.

Scion < 3k lbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "upgraded diff" was introduced on the 06 (LS2).

It is the replacement used for all models so if you are getting an 04 or 05 and the diff has been replaced, most likely it will have a "upgraded one".
At this point, I'm leaning LS2. Would you say that they're reliable?

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V 6MT (Sold), 2007 CTS-V (Sold)
1,409 Posts
Just by being on this forum you're get the MOD bug... your wallet will end up empty!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just by being on this forum you're get the MOD bug... your wallet will end up empty!
Don't worry about me. haha

I don't like the idea of modifying my cars. I'm the type that likes to preserve cars just the way they are.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
what questions have been asked here that aren't answered in the newb threads in the sticky?? :yawn:

advice: buy a :v: buy the extra-100k warranty or whatever aftermaket one you can find and go forth.. if you know how to "preserve" a car, im sure you will know when preventative maintenance will need to be done.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,199 Posts
... Camry ...

... Also, would you say that the engine, in general, is a reliable one? ...
Both the LS6 and the LS2 are at least as bulletproof as Toyota motors. They certainly don't have sludge issues.

As far as not modding your car, I said the same thing six years ago. The "problem" developed, however, the more I came here and read about how much fun everyone was having by swapping components and by personalizing their cars with the mods. That "problem" is still with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just tested a 2005 model. It was epic!

It's owned buy an older gentleman who doesn't really use it any more.

He showed me a service record, which mentioned "sound from the rear."

I'm steering clear from that one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts