Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started snooping around the local dealership lots here and stopped by at a Ford dealer's budget lot on my way to the cable office this morning. They had a very nice 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours in the best color, black of course, with black leather in interior. It had 100k miles on it and for the age and mileage the car actually looked really nice. The interior was a bit dirty, but no rips in the leather or anything like that. The DIC said the A/C was off because there was no refrigerant, and the service engine light was on.

They want 5500 for it and after a brief search on Autotrader I noticed there arent that many around. The Hyundai im driving is worth about 3k wholesale so I was planning to trade it and a grand or so but the truth is, Im a little leary of the Northstar. It seemed to run very smooth, but I think its burning oil because while it was idling I could see faint whisps of smoke coming out of the tailpipes.

Im just wondering if its worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not hesitate to pay $5500. for this car. I have a '98 with 207,000 on it, bought it with 50,000 on it. Shortly after purchasing it we had to put a rebuilt compressor in it which disappointed me but has been blowing cold ever since.. My check engine light has been on for the past 100,000 miles. I would want to know what it is indicating, mine is the torque converted which has cost me a couple miles per gallon. I am presently shopping for another '98 or 99 and expcet to pay $6,000 to $7,500

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
buy it!

I would not worry about the Northstar one bit.

The smoke you see is probably the effects of the DeVille being babied by old people and is the result of carbon build up.

Take it out, do several WOT runs to 80 or so, run it a little then see if you see the smoke... I'd bet its gone.

The Northstar is one of the rare cases where the harder you drive it the more it loves you.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
yes....the Northstar is one of the few motors where you have to drive it hard otherwise carbon builds up and then the shit hits the fan.

I'd go for it! I love those 97-99 Deville Concours! Finally a deville with full instrumentation and a console/floor shifter!!
I think they are much better looking than the 00-04 devilles.
And im pretty sure that all the N*'s kinks were worked out by 1998.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only problem I can see is, that you won't want to drive anything else!
I have a '97, and I think it's great.
Enjoy, Ron

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
What kind of suspension setup do they have?
Is it the adjustable liquid filled struts??
If it is that's gonna be expensive:ill:

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
$$$$$$$ :eek:

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats fine, they can be retrofitted to a passive setup. Im not worried about that so much as the engine. I know you guys like Northstars here but frankly I dont have the confidence in it that I would in say a Mercedes 3.5L Diesel or BMW inline 6. The smoke thing did concern me a bit because if I recall correctly that is what Northstars have a tendency to do is either consume too much oil or burn it, or both I cant remember exactly. The bottom line is if I want to go through with it, Im going to need to get someone to come with me to look at it because I am not mechanically inclined enough to be able to spot anything but major leaks etc. Either that or take it to a mechanic.

I can afford to get the thing fixed when necessary, but I also dont want a complete headache because this car needs to be as reliable as the Elantra is. Especially since it will probably eventually go back to my mom again when I get something more my usual speed.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
wow thats weird i too am looking into a 98 Deville. i am loosing my CTS, look here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=552211&posted=1#post552211 . i am looking at a 98 Deville with some 20s on it. scroll down about half the page and there is a picture of it. so what should i be looking out for? also lost my 89 Deville cause of insurance but i havent got the chance to tell anyone (save for the above thread).

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Yeah PLaYDRV4ME, are you still gonna get that Phaeton or whatever if you get this Concours?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would be cautious of the white smoke you saw coming out the tailpipes do a diagnostic on the car first before you buy it.

It could even be a beginning headgasket problem if your not careful.

Doing the diagnostics should let you know if it is just running rich because of a sensor or if the engine is faulty.

You DO NOT want to run into N* problems if you are not capable of repairing the engine yourself any N* dealer repair runs above $1500 upto $4000 when it's regarding the engine.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ocjmakaveli said:
I would be cautious of the white smoke you saw coming out the tailpipes do a diagnostic on the car first before you buy it.

It could even be a beginning headgasket problem if your not careful.

Doing the diagnostics should let you know if it is just running rich because of a sensor or if the engine is faulty.

You DO NOT want to run into N* problems if you are not capable of repairing the engine yourself any N* dealer repair runs above $1500 upto $4000 when it's regarding the engine.
Exactly. I know the Northstar is not engine you want to have being worked on on any kind of regular basis.

I luv caddys, yes I still plan to get the Phaeton or the Range Rover down the road.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You do know how to go into the diagnostic's in the CC?

just check that out and if it's just a sensor like egr etc. I would definitely buy that car that's a good price "fixer upper" if you will and for a few bucks you could have it running like new.

If the car is at a dealer you could even ask them that you want to look under the car and they should put it on the hoist for you for you to visually inspect the car.You can check for oil leaks etc.

Unless the dealer is trying to hide something they will oblige.

If the motor is good everything else is a simple DIY fix.

I especially like the 97-99 deville look.

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Good idea to check out the OBDII info and easy to do. Check the information on this site and run the codes. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html
FYI- My 98 Eldorado has 87k and after purchase at 40k and changing the coolant, tran fluid, oil, and a little attention to the brakes, performs flawlessly. WOT's reduced the oil consumption just as mentioned above.
Only real maintenance in first 100k other than above is new platinum plugs and wires @100,000 miles. Good luck on your purchase! You do not have to have a scan tool to read those codes...with the ignition key on, but engine not running- press the off button simultaneously with the passenger warming button (up) until the entire display lights up like the 4th of July. Then, like someone else has said: "enjoy the show." Write all the DTC's down and then use the link above to check meanings on them.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
The N* has a nice aggressive sound to it. I've never driven a N* Caddy, but I have driven a 4.0L N* 1995 Aurora. I dont remember much other than it felt slower around town than the 1989 sedan deVille I drove right before that. But the N* lacks low end torque when compared to the 4.5 or 4.9. The N* pulls a lot harder on the freeway than a 4.9 car would.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Yeah, so a N* is just as quick as a 4.9 to 30, then from there, it'll swiftly pull away?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bought a 1998 Deville Concours for my future son-in-law about 4 months ago. It had 80K on it when we bought it and now has 94K on it and is still running flawlessly. My son has a 2003 DTS with 83K on it now and it is also running perfect. You just have to check the oil on a regular basis and make sure to change it every 3K. Expect to service the stability system around 100K.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts