Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife have been shopping for a newer used car for her. A close friend told me he knows someone about 2 blocks from me selling a 2010 srx. 2010 srx-4 premium 3.0 with 140k miles. Original owner with all records. Guy is completely meticulous about maintenance. Oil changes every 3000 miles when new, but changed to 5000 miles later. Never went off the oil life monitor. New headlight, sunroof leaks fixed by dealer, brand new power gate lift. New brakes. New tires.
He's someone I trust, and hasent had any other problems. I know the timing chain and wheel bearings can be a weak spot. I am a mechanic for a living, so those things don't scare me to fix if the need arises. Assuming I can fix pretty much anything myself, at $7000 is it worth considering, or run from it? Drives great with no bearing or rear diff noises.
Wife loves it. Has everything she wants. But it's at the upper end of our budget.
For comparison, our 2nd choice is going to be a 2004-2007 Volvo XC90 or xc70. Can get those in my price range with 100-120k miles. But They have their share of problems as well.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
289 Posts
the history is worth everything :) if the exterior and interior in good shape i call that a win, i bought mine with no history but in great shape and I paid 10K out the door, its a roll of the dice of course but if the timing chain repair does not scare you then GO FOR IT !

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
226 Posts
As a general rule, I wouldn't buy the first year of a new model (particularly when buying new), but it sounds like this one has had its kinks worked out. OTOH, I'm old enough to remember when 140k miles meant the car was probably on its last legs, with the body, suspension, & seats about to go if the drivetrain wasn't.

I've been looking at online ads for newer, lower mileage SRXs, so the price doesn't seem too high to me.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
694 Posts
Since your a mechanic and it has good maintenance, go for it. Top of the line, too!
Yeah!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a general rule, I wouldn't buy the first year of a new model (particularly when buying new), but it sounds like this one has had its kinks worked out. OTOH, I'm old enough to remember when 140k miles meant the car was probably on its last legs, with the body, suspension, & seats about to go if the drivetrain wasn't.

I've been looking at online ads for newer, lower mileage SRXs, so the price doesn't seem too high to me.
This is my concern. A lot of people say avoid the 10 because first year of the new model. If it was a Subaru, given all the ones I've owned, 140k is barely broken in. My 04 suburban has 235k. Original trans died while towing at 228k. Swapped heads due to bad castings and tore the engine down at 230k. But the bores and bearings look like they could go another 200k. Still rides and drives great. My 00 Jetta diesel has 212k, and I'm aiming for 400k just because. But both of those are proven to pretty regularly go past 200k. Not many srx out there that I've seen that high.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
694 Posts
Since your a mechanic and it has good maintenance, go for it. Top of the line, too!
Yeah!
And don't be afraid of the 1st model year, I very bought one several times, I just have everything fixed while under warranty and do excellent maintenance after that, and I am a mechanic, too.

·
Registered
2016 SRX Premium- Black on Black
64 Posts
If someone walked up to you and handed you the keys to a 2000 Chrysler 300M would you be comfortable putting your Wife behind the wheel and sending her off on a 2000 mile trip without so much as opening up the hood?
I would if it's the 2000 Chrysler 300M that's parked in my driveway that I bought 20 years ago.

I paid a whopping $28,000 for that car which in 2000 was a boat load of money to me.
In the 20 years I've own it an oil change has never seen 5000 miles and every squeak has always gotten an immediate shot of WD40.

Original owner is a big selling point for me.
Generally if a person pays $40K+ for a vehicle they are more likely to take care of it.

If you're comfortable with the history and are fully aware that likely a 10 year old vehicle with a 140K miles will need a little tinkering with from time to time I say go for it.

Not to mention that your Wife loves it.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
413 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a 2010 or 11. They both had engines that were suspect. 12' (which I got) would be the minimum. Each year adds new fixes that GM "found". 13 and up gets you better sunroof drain lines (less likely to clog). By the time you hit the 16' it's obviously the best you can get with the least problems. Your call and your money.

Steve with a 12' and 76k miles on a 3.6 engine running good lately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally wouldn't buy a 2010 or 11. They both had engines that were suspect. 12' (which I got) would be the minimum. Each year adds new fixes that GM "found". 13 and up gets you better sunroof drain lines (less likely to clog). By the time you hit the 16' it's obviously the best you can get with the least problems. Your call and your money.

Steve with a 12' and 76k miles on a 3.6 engine running good lately.
Unfortunately, anything newer is way out of my price range, as we do not finance anything. I am only considering this one as I know the owner and service history, and it's under average blue book value in my area for me.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
240 Posts
As you may already know an SRX can be an expensive car to maintain. Even if you can wrench some of the parts are pricey as hell. So it's been well maintained. That's always a good thing, but just think of how loosey goosey all the parts must be getting after so many miles. If this is really going to tap you out, it's prob going to be tough to come up with repair costs that could be a few grand a year. That is not a particularly good model year SRX and with that many miles I advice you to take a pass. Sounds like you've already made your mind up though, hope you have good luck with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you may already know an SRX can be an expensive car to maintain. Even if you can wrench some of the parts are pricey as hell. So it's been well maintained. That's always a good thing, but just think of how loosey goosey all the parts must be getting after so many miles. If this is really going to tap you out, it's prob going to be tough to come up with repair costs that could be a few grand a year. That is not a particularly good model year SRX and with that many miles I advice you to take a pass. Sounds like you've already made your mind up though, hope you have good luck with it.
This is what we decided. Even at rock auto costs, it's around $1400 for all 4 ride control shocks/struts. And at 140k they could go anytime. Plus they cost of replacing the pop up screen if it dies. We decided a lot of things like that could really add up. If we were getting the car for $5000 I would do it and fell like if I had to dump $2000 into it next year I would still be comfortable with the investment. But for $4-5000 I can get a couple year older Volvo that the wife likes with 100-120k miles on it. Not as many fun features. But still gets her very comfortable heated seats and her dual climate control. As well as a safe and mostly reliable cat. So we are probably going that route. But that you all for the info.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
240 Posts
Hate to see you give up on an SRX. Maybe next time around. They are really nice cars if you do your homework and buy the right one. When I was looking I wanted one with the good headlights, the improved 3.6, no CUE system, and low miles. Also I have maint records since it was new. It took me several months to find the one I wanted, but it has been a great car so far. On the other hand there are almost daily postings from those who bought the wrong car and it turned into a money pit. Just got to take your time and know what to look for. I know nothing about Volvos, but if it's going to be a keeper I'd look for something with under 100k. They are out there, just got to be patient.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
694 Posts
Hate to see you give up on an SRX. Maybe next time around. They are really nice cars if you do your homework and buy the right one. When I was looking I wanted one with the good headlights, the improved 3.6, no CUE system, and low miles. Also I have maint records since it was new. It took me several months to find the one I wanted, but it has been a great car so far. On the other hand there are almost daily postings from those who bought the wrong car and it turned into a money pit. Just got to take your time and know what to look for. I know nothing about Volvos, but if it's going to be a keeper I'd look for something with under 100k. They are out there, just got to be patient.
I feel you, on getting the right one. If you're going to get a Cadillac, you should get the top-of-the-line. Otherwise all the good parts/features have been removed. Might as well get a Chevy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's was the draw to this one. Has the hid lights, both just replaced by dealer in March. It's. Premium with one owner and all records, for under KBB price. But not the better engine, and at 140k, a lot of expensive gadgets that could start to fail. Oh, and what was Cadillac thinking with the rock hard seats. The Volvo's we have tested, my 2000 Jetta, and our 04 suburban all have way more comfy seats. And I wasn't really shopping for an srx, it just got offered to us. Although I was considering a couple nice 05-06 v8 ones, but the wife didn't like some of the safety ratings.
However we haven't completely passed on this one yet. But told the owner we need to drive several other cars this weekend to make more informed decision.

·
Registered
2010 SRX AWD Premium Turbo
11 Posts
I just bought one, two weeks ago. Beautiful car, inside and out. Love the turbo plus all the bells and whistles... but i hate the fact that it doesn't have a spare (yet has an airpump smh), navigation sucks (in comparison to googlemaps) and one of the headlights has condensation in it (common problem for SRXs). So i have been looking for a used spare, found some options in upgrading navigation and found a few DIY remedies for the headlight.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
240 Posts
I hear you on the hard seats. Not what you expect from a Caddy. I'd not even consider the turbo engine. No advantage to it and I'm pretty sure it takes premium gas to run it. Bound to be more costly to own than the naturally aspirated 3.6 which has more power and sounds like a sports car when you push down the go pedal. None of that turbo lag, but it doesn't have the off the line oomph of a V8. I read a lot of SRX reviews before buying and the main complaint has been the engines. The improved 3.6 that I think is 2011 and newer solved all the earlier issues.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
784 Posts
2010 to 2011 had the 3.0 or the 2.8T. For 2012 it switched to only the 3.6. As of 2013 CUE was added.

Max

1 - 17 of 17 Posts