Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 2006 STS-V, 7,500 miles, repurchased by GM under a buy back. The engine was supposedly replaced by GM. Any factual information on the problems, buy back or repurchase would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
RUN FAR FAR AWAY. Buy back cars can be just as bad if not WORSE than wrecks or flood cars. I would *only* touch it if there is FULLY DOCUMENTED information that it was in fact ONLY the engine that resulted in the lemon title. I had a buy back 2001 that was supposedly a "transmission replacement" issue, and the WHOLE CAR behaved like a Friday car from the moment I bought it til I dumped it.

That one you are buying may very well be the one repurchased from a member on this forum due to a blown headgasket at 500 miles... But then again I dont remember whether that car was repurchased OR the engine was just replaced. Repurchasing an entire car if the engine was so clearly the culprit is a little unusual unless there were ALOT of service visits that led up to that final conclusion.

I hope its a very very good deal. Whats the price?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I suspect car will sit for some time at dealer lot. In the meantime, do some persistent research with the VIN. You can likely locate the dealer where the car was maintained. That service mgr can then pull the service records. He/she is not supposed to give you name of prev owner, but sometimes srv mgrs leave that info lying around, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advice. I have already requested ALL of the buyback information. The price is not set but is less than$49K. DWW

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Thanks for advice. I have already requested ALL of the buyback information. The price is not set but is less than$49K. DWW
I would NEVER EVER buy a buyback vehicle no matter how cheap it is. You are buying someoe else's headache. Look on ebay. There are a few 2006 and 2007 STS-Vs at great deals from GM dealers with ultra low miles on them. I would go that route first. Contact those GM dealers advertising on ebay and tell them how much you want to pay and leave them your name and information. Guaranteed you will get at least one of them to call you back when they drop the price to your desired target cost.

If you need any help, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Here is a link to the STS-Vs on sale on ebay: http://motors.search.ebay.com/STS-V_Cars-Trucks_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ6001QQsatitleZSTSQ2dV

There is a black one with low miles that doesn't even have a reserve price or bids and is ending soon.

SG

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I would NEVER EVER buy a buyback vehicle no matter how cheap it is. You are buying someoe else's headache. Look on ebay. There are a few 2006 and 2007 STS-Vs at great deals from GM dealers with ultra low miles on them. I would go that route first. Contact those GM dealers advertising on ebay and tell them how much you want to pay and leave them your name and information. Guaranteed you will get at least one of them to call you back when they drop the price to your desired target cost.

If you need any help, feel free to email me at [email protected]

SG
Tons of them on autotrader.com and cars.com. Many for sale by dealers. You might try same approach with those dealers.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Yup and 49k is the bottom end right now, meaning dealers are buying them for 45-ish. You might not need to get the buyback afterall, the prices are just damn cheap right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts