Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS. 2013 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

I have become interested in the older style caddy's. One, they have a pretty sharp look, and the other, more important, I can find one at the price point that I don't have an issue gambling on.

So.... I am buying a 2001 Cadillac Deville (DTS) I believe. It has been used as a transport vehicle for VIP's. It has 63,000 miles on it and runs well.

My questions are, what is or are the differences with the Deville, Deville DHS and the Deville DTS? I have read troubling things about the northstar motor as it creeps up on the miles. Figure for $1000 bucks I can take the risk. The vehicle is out of state and I will have it taken to a garage for an assessment. Is there anything I need to have the mechanic focus on?

Anyone have questions for me I will do my best to answer. Look forward to reading more and more.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Re: 2001 Cadillac Deville

:welcome:

The DTS is the touring model. 25 more HP with slightly less low end torque and a firmer (active) $u$pension and about 2-3 less MPG.
Like the DHS it is an optioned out Deville.

The HG issue was addressed in 2000 with longer head bolts. Incidents dropped drastically. GM went to a coarser thread pitch in '04 and the incidents became much rarer. That was the Northstars only Achilles heel. Other than that, it is quite reliable.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,257 Posts

Good evening all,

I have become interested in the older style caddy's. One, they have a pretty sharp look, and the other, more important, I can find one at the price point that I don't have an issue gambling on.

So.... I am buying a 2001 Cadillac Deville (DTS) I believe. It has been used as a transport vehicle for VIP's. It has 63,000 miles on it and runs well.

My questions are, what is or are the differences with the Deville, Deville DHS and the Deville DTS? I have read troubling things about the northstar motor as it creeps up on the miles. Figure for $1000 bucks I can take the risk. The vehicle is out of state and I will have it taken to a garage for an assessment. Is there anything I need to have the mechanic focus on?

Anyone have questions for me I will do my best to answer. Look forward to reading more and more.

Thanks in advance.
--------------------
Is there anything I need to have the mechanic focus on?
along with all the "normal" things to be concerned about with a 14 year old car -

the "failed head gasket" problem was blown out of proportion -
yes - it happened to a VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE of Northstar motors -
yes - it is expensive to repair - $2500 to $3500 -

however - there are some repairs that are MUCH more common -
and equally/more expensive -

check for codes -

some codes that lead to expensive repairs -

P0741 - WILL illuminate the CHECK ENGINE light -
and WILL cause you to fail emissions testing -
this is worn seals deep in the transmission -
average cost to repair $2500/$3000

"C" codes relating to failed electronic struts and/or shocks -

the DTS model Deville has the electronic F45 suspension system -
each strut and each shock cost around $600 to $750 each -
aftermarket electronic struts/shocks are no longer available -

for comparison purposes -
the DHS and BASE model Deville have passive suspension -
struts are $60 each - and rear shocks are $60 for the pair -

ABS/TCC problems can quickly add up $$$$$$$$$$$$

be VARY CAUTIOUS when it comes to any aftermarket audio/alarm/starter systems -
Cadillacs do not like their electronics messed with -

be mindfull of previous maintenance records -
with low miles -
it is possible NOTHING has been done - other than oil changes -

oil leaks are usually VERY EXPENSIVE to repair - $2500+
because the major leaks require engine removal -
oil pan - half-case seal - front/rear main seals -

----------------------------
Figure for $1000 bucks I can take the risk.
a CLEAN 01 DTS with 63K miles should sell for $5000+

there IS a reason for the chap asking price -

a "really good deal" rarely really is -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot about P0741. Common failure in the 2000 - 2005 4T80E's. If it doesn't have that code now, it probably will in the future. Not a big deal if you are not subjected to emissions testing. Then you can just ignore it.

P.S.
I edited your title.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS. 2013 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Appreciate all the comments so far. I am getting this car from a Funeral Home. They used it to pick up clergy and others at the airport. I am good friends with the owner of the FH and car. The father that owned it (FH) passed away and they do not want the caddy. They want to upgrade to a newer vehicle. This man was a meticulous car care type. I am going to go for it. I have an agreement to have it taken to a mechanic for assessment, I get to then make a final decision.

Looking at the records, it seems that everything was done from mile 1 to current. I will keep a cautious eye out though.

I will let everyone know and post pics when I pick it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts