Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering going from a 97 Deville Concours to a 2000 DHS. This is a new body style for me. Is it true the head gasket issue has been fixed from 2000 moving forward, and you can run 87 octane?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I'm considering going from a 97 Deville Concours to a 2000 DHS. This is a new body style for me. Is it true the head gasket issue has been fixed from 2000 moving forward, and you can run 87 octane?

Thanks Mike
No, the headgasket issue has not been "fixed" per'se in the sense that you still need to find a 2000 that has had religious coolant maintenance. By now, that means TWO coolant changes if the car is running on the orange dex-cool, and more than that if it has been converted to green coolant. We still see some 2000-'02 cars with headgasket issues so it can not be ruled out as a possible problem down the line. The more correct term is "improved" as the bolts (what actually comes loose) were extended in 2000.

Yes, I believe you can run 87 in the post-2000 motors without issue. I never had problems with any of my post-2000 Cadillacs on regular pump gas.

Do a thorough test-drive of the car AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS between 50 and 80mph to make SURE that it isn't shuddering or shaking at highway cruising speeds, depending on how bad it shakes, this can be very difficult to fully cure and is a common issue.

Do a search and read up on common car buying tips here.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not aware of any kind of shaking or shuddering issues at hwy speed. maybe I should stick with my 97 Concours....runs super strong, 108K, and only needs an FPR. I put $3k in my car in the last 10 months to get it where I wanted it...I bought it in FL, but one day I woke up and realized I LOVE the rounded tail end vs the square tail. Now, I really don't like the way my car looks, so I'm looking at the 2000 + Deville's.

Help....Help...Help...

Mike

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I was not aware of any kind of shaking or shuddering issues at hwy speed. maybe I should stick with my 97 Concours....runs super strong, 108K, and only needs an FPR. I put $3k in my car in the last 10 months to get it where I wanted it...I bought it in FL, but one day I woke up and realized I LOVE the rounded tail end vs the square tail. Now, I really don't like the way my car looks, so I'm looking at the 2000 + Deville's.

Help....Help...Help...

Mike
108k for a '97 is just barely broken in. If you've already spent all that money on your car in such a short time, changing it out just because of looks seems silly to me.

Not only will you have the expenditure of a new car, but you're going to be starting completely from scratch again with a car that you aren't familiar with. My advice is to keep the one you have after what you just mentioned. '97s are very handsome cars all their own and the Concours is the most gorgeous of all '97s.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,573 Posts
Yes 2000+ was designed to run on 87, but your '97 will as well. Actually your '97 is much more prone to a HG failure than a 2000+. If you like them, go for it. I miss my '97, but LOVE the DHS.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
That's true, but if you've already spent 3 grand in the past 10 months I just don't think it's worth buying a whole new car on hedging the bet that the HG MIGHT go, especially when we have someone on this forum who does them for under 1500 bucks now, and considering that 00+ is not by any means failure proof. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
I've got a 2000 STS with 72k miles on it and I've sunk a good $2k into it during the last year. The post-'00 models have just as many annoying issues as the the older Devilles too; not to mention the fact the '00+ Deville's suffer from highway shimmies, pop and drop windows, the still ever present HG issue, etc. If you've already sunk a good $3k into your Concours, I would keep it. I have considered trading my car in the past few months but I paid too much for it, already lost $4k in one year on the value, and put $2k into it. So I would basically sell the car for $4k based on what I paid for it. Keep the Concours.

Oh by the way, my headgaskets went at 54306 miles. Had them done before I bought the car and its been sound ever since, but I believe the bill for the work done to my car was around the $3k-$4k thousand dollar range. The only real way to escape it is buy a 2003+ model or a RWD model, but even then the consensus on them has not been shown yet. In a few years... no clue.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I've got a 2000 STS with 72k miles on it and I've sunk a good $2k into it during the last year. The post-'00 models have just as many annoying issues as the the older Devilles too; not to mention the fact the '00+ Deville's suffer from highway shimmies, pop and drop windows, the still ever present HG issue, etc. If you've already sunk a good $3k into your Concours, I would keep it. I have considered trading my car in the past few months but I paid too much for it, already lost $4k in one year on the value, and put $2k into it. So I would basically sell the car for $4k based on what I paid for it. Keep the Concours.

Oh by the way, my headgaskets went at 54306 miles. Had them done before I bought the car and its been sound ever since, but I believe the bill for the work done to my car was around the $3k-$4k thousand dollar range. The only real way to escape it is buy a 2003+ model or a RWD model, but even then the consensus on them has not been shown yet. In a few years... no clue.
Hmm... How interesting. You and I have the same general thought about the 2003+ and the RWD. Seems to me they're just not old enough yet, but I will say the RWD cooling system is supposedly ENTIRELY (80 percent) re-engineered so it's pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
The RWD models do not share the same oil leak, vacuum leak issues, etc. that the FWD Northstars do, and I really have no idea why. In our shop there doesn't seem to be any motor related problems on the '05+ STS Northstar models. As a matter of fact, the new STS models don't seem to be too unreliable compared to the Seville. Much better engineered i will say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts