Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Eldorado, 51K
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, "probie" here. (Any Rescue Me fans?)

So nice to have a place to go for such great info. Appreciate all of your time and effort. I'm in the market for my first N* ownership experience and am jumping in with both boots.

Been scouting the landscape for- not to mention reading till my eyes cross about- mid-nineties Eldorados for quite some time. Found a '95 coupe, white w/blue Landau top, one-owner (Grandma, literally) Florida car with 42,000 miles. Absolutely immaculate in and out, really pretty car. Started her up and felt a slight stumble after ignition and then a nice smooth idle. Drove well, strong and straight.

Went back the next day to check it out again with my roomy and it took three tries to fire up- at least 6-7 seconds total cranking time. Smoothed out and drove well again. Saw threads on similar FPR and injector issues, perhaps even a fuel pump story or two.

I'm planning on taking it in to my guy for a leak-down test and general inspection (is a compression test necessary or warranted?), knowing the issues with the cooling system if not serviced properly. Could it be that simple a fix if it is the FPR?

Any thoughts on what else to check for? Do the struts generally become an issue at this mileage? Seems to ride a little bit firm, but I don't know what to expect never having driven one before.

Also found a pristine '98 STS with 95K owned by a service tech, gorgeous and clean with new rear struts. No other issues whatsoever. Drives like new. The Bose system is taunting me like a mermaid's siren song and the cabin and ride feel like Virgin Airlines first class. However, low miles on the coupe keep calling me back to sanity.

Care to compare and contrast?

Stuck in the middle

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Run the codes and also check on the coolant changes....my 98 has 130k and has had no major issues. Sometimes the appearance of high oil consumption reduces significantly after a few WOT. OBD I and II code info is found on stickies above. I obviously vote for the 98, but I would want to do a carfax on both if you are sincerely interested in them. How they have been taken care of is just as important or more so than mileage. Good luck and enjoy your choice.

·
Registered
1995 Eldorado, 51K
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all. Thanks for the quick reply MWA. I sort of feel up against the clock on these cars, and my instincts were somewhat accurate as the STS sold last night. I pulled the codes on the coupe and came up with: P039 history and P095 history. Nothing regarding hard starting problem and after about an hour of running around today she stalled, but started right up. Fuel odor after long cranking times on warm startup. Seems to surge a bit during first minute or so of drive time, but strong and smooth otherwise, steady idle.

Can I determine relatively easily if it might be the FPR or fuel pump? I have read the threads, but would appreciate a fresh perspective. This is a beautiful, clean automobile, but I'm hesitant to put in $500 for a pump, although not averse to $75 for an FPR.

Much thanks,

Fishin' or cuttin' bait

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Why not have a reputable dealer's service dept check it out for you? A few dollars to delineate real problems from those of a minor nature caused by little use of the vehicle could pay off if you buy it. Obviously the little old lady did not drive it to the drag strip on weekends. Too bad you missed the STS, but maybe things work out for the best. Fuel and air filters and WOT with fresh fuel might go a long way on the 95....don't jump off the bridge until you get to it. Also, be careful to change the coolant. All say DEXCool is good for 100k, but I change mine every 40k.

·
Registered
1995 Eldorado, 51K
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought the '95 Eldo, exremely happy! She's been garaged nightly in St. Petersburg, Fla. since new. Paint is like glass and interior gorgeous. Not even a road tick!! Looks like a new car. Is it kosher to post pics here?

I purchased and installed a Fuel Pressure Regulator (piece of cake, really) for 50 bucks and voila, she runs like a top. New brakes and I'm sittin' pretty. Couldn't have dreamt of getting more car for the $, and am looking forward to ownership and forum involvement.

Thanks to all past contributions and future help.
:yup::2thumbs:
Happy Camper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts