Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eye on a 2002 Deville DTS. It has 116k miles, burgandy exterior with gray interior, night vision, HUD, navigation, parking sensors, umm thing that's about it. How can I tell if it has the 275 or the 300 HP engine? Anyway, they want $10k for it as is.. as is being dirty and needing brakes. I'm a fairly handy guy, I can do my own maintenance so the brakes don't scare me. I'm coming from ownership of a 97 BMW 7 series so I'm no stranger to high price tag maintenance hehe.

Do you think that's a fair price? Is there anything in particular I should be checking out? Like the 740 is known for cooling system problems, missing pixels in the dash display and such. Thanks!

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Well since you mentioned coolant...

Number one thing you need to be aware of is to make sure the car has a DOCUMENTED service history and that the coolant was changed last year (every four years is recommended for Northstar cadillacs). You might be able to get away with changing it this year as it hasnt gone too long (although it has alot of miles for an 02).

You need to take the car out and run it HARD up freeway on ramps, down the street etc. What you are trying to do is get the car to overheat, if it does not overheat then you are good. The main troublespot on these cars is the headgaskets on the northstar motor. It runs around 3000.00 to repair/replace the motor either way, it is not quite a DIY job.

Odds are if its *OK* at 116000 miles, it will probably be fine from here on out, but that doesnt lessen the importance of the coolant maintenance.

Other than that check the A/C and heat and make sure you can run the car from hot to cold and vice versa and check that all the vent modes work.

The suspension on these cars is *not* cheap, and you mentioned its riding rough... Shocks are very costly so I would use that as a bargaining point.

Shouldnt pay more than 8800 for that car with that high of miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts