Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS SPORT/LUXURY PACKAGE
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a navigation unit and was wondering if there's some kind of harness to connect my iPod to the stock nav unit?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
What year is your car? There were some kits that let you connect it using the XM band for 05 and above.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Basically, there are no reasonable solutions for connecting an ipod. Every kit out there has problems of some kind. The best solution I have found is using a Parrot car kit to connect a bluetooth phone and stream music that way. The parrot kits bypass the radio (and the data network) altogether.

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
I wanted to do something like the first link you provided but after I bought everything I needed to do it, i called the dealership and gave him my VIN and he said that my vehicle isnt "XM Ready" or not equiped with XM. I've tried finding an answer to this with no luck. When i bought my car (used), the previous owner had XM manuals in the glove box or maybe this could have been the dealer that put those there. Do all of our radios come "XM ready." Does this mean that just radio itself can be reprogrammed to have the XM band using a tech-ii or by xm ready do they mean, the reciever and all that other good stuff to actually be able to subcribe to an xm service? Mine is an 04 base, non-bose, non-nav. Can I make this work? And lets say my radio is XM ready, could I do this mod before having the radio programmed and then take it to teh dealership to enable the XM band? I here that in order for them to program, it needs to have "signal" which i would assume only the xm reciever could actually transmit? or would my ipod be able to give them the signal they are looking for?

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
I'm not sure on the 2004 Radio But When you push the band button it should cycle through what you have FM1, FM2, AM, MX1, MX2. The MX one and two when selected should play a sample of something until you sign-up with the MX service.
Mines a 2006 non-nav, I bought used and I'm pretty sure that the first owner never activate anything.
For the most part all your doing is disconnecting the input of the MX system (located in the rear of the car) and using your radio AMP (through the MX selected band) to amplify the output from your Ipod.
So if you Radio cycles through the range of bands it should be pretty easy to hook up. If not your best bet is to use the FM signal set-up, updating your Radio with a new unit bring in the problems of your speakers matching etc........
Good Luck

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
Oh if you do have MX using the standard method of install well not let you use you MX unless you install a switch (A/B)to use both

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
You must have one of those Polish radios. Mine is XM.

I know one of the ipod kits replaces XM2 with the ipod, and leaves XM1 alone.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
when you cut the three wires ( left- right -common) to ad the jack/plug for your ipod all the XM functions 1 and 2 are gone, the ipod plays on them both. The only way to keep any XM functionality is to put the a/b type switch in the line. Sorry but sometimes I'm slightly dyslexic.

·
Registered
2004 CTS, 3.6L, Luxury/Sport Package
2 Posts
I have searched relentlessly and it appears that no one has successfully adapted one of these kits to a bone stock stereo. No XM or NAV. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
That's correct, if there no type of input source to tap into the only way is to use the Ipod /FM adapter that sells around $50 for a good one (including's charging). I have one that I was using and it does work but the sound loudness and quality is so so ...... I've still got mine, use it just for power on the Ipod since the battery life sucks on it, I use a 8 gig Sana that battery life last 12 hours + play time and bring it in the house to charge when needed.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Premium ATS 2.0T AWD
234 Posts
So several years ago I replaced my 2003 CD based CTS Radio / GPS with a newer DVD based unit I bought on eBay. It appears this DVD unit was pre-XM as I don't see the XM inputs when I cycle through the "Band" options. Has anyone seen used XM models available that you could adapt for use with an iPhone / iPod. I just did a search on eBay and didn't find anything. Or is there anything else yet that still looks "factory". Thanks.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
There could be two reasons why you don't have a xm input. Most importantly, it could be because you don't have the module plugged in, that is if you have one. But if you do have an xm module and it is plugged in, then you may need to have it programmed into the factory radio. This is done at the dealership with the techii scan tool/programmer.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
What is the year of the car that the new unit came out of? I don't think they had the XM till 05. KOT is right it may have to be enabled with a TechII. I stoped by a dealer and he said he would have one of the mechanics do it complimentory, 5 min job. I gave him $20 for his time.

·
Registered
2016 Premium ATS 2.0T AWD
234 Posts
So I'm not sure of the year of my unit, I think I installed it in '06 so probably 04/05. Is there maybe a way to give the dealer or GM the serial number and find out if it has XM? Does the back of an 'XM' unit look different than a non-XM? I think mine looked the same as my older CD based unit, at least all the plugs moved straight across.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts