Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago, I lost all power steering fluid. That was fixed. I noticed a black box that goes into a vacuum tube that was half on, and very loose. "Mechanic" said he took care of that. Now yesterday, while checking my coolant, the box looked screwed up again/still. I pushed it back into the vacuum tube as good as I could. I started the car a tad later, and the SES light came on and a little while later it stalled out. Started it again was fine. Ran the DTC this morning, and came up with P0171 and P0174. If anyone could tell me what is going on I'd gladly appreciate it. Here is a picture of that black box. $_12.JPG

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
That isn't a vacuum tube, its the engines air intake ducting. And the box is the resonator. Its purpose is to quiet the sound of induction (which is barely audible in the first place).

It's upstream of the MAF sensor, so when its seated inproperly, the air leaking in isn't being registered, and you get lean codes.

Instead of reinstalling it, get a 2.5" PVC pipe cap and stick it in the hole. It stays in better, and having the resonator out of the way makes several under hood checks much easier.

Search" butt plug mod".

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,518 Posts
That air intake resonator is the cause of a LOT of 2000 - 2004 Seville driveability problems.

The reason the engine stalled is due to excess air leak(s) in the intake ducting at or after the divorced MAF sensor.

As MC posted, do this .................. makes underhood checks and some maintenance easier. Find a suitable machine screw for the PCM cover.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts