Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I went to the auto parts store and told them I was about to install some Bosch Fusion plugs and they told me that it is NOT recommended and only OEM is what I should use... so why do they sell aftermarket then??

·
Registered
03 Escalade
336 Posts
I would only use OEM spark plugs, I do want to run MSD 8.5 wires though if possible.

Gettin ready to do mine soon, should be a quick easy maybe 1hr job right?

I did read some horror stories about gettin the wires off certain vehicles though.

·
Registered
'02 Escalade
200 Posts
Yea, delco is oem. And the boots really get stuck on the plugs. If you don't have a puller, I'd buy one and I suggest twisting/rotating the wires a little bit before trying to remove them. Even doing that I still tore one of my wires which obviously meant another trip to the parts store since the original plan was to replace the plugs only. If you change plugs, you should probably just go ahead and do the wires at the same time and then you won't have to worry about it for the next 100k or so.

·
Registered
03 Escalade
336 Posts
Yea, delco is oem. And the boots really get stuck on the plugs. If you don't have a puller, I'd buy one and I suggest twisting/rotating the wires a little bit before trying to remove them. Even doing that I still tore one of my wires which obviously meant another trip to the parts store since the original plan was to replace the plugs only. If you change plugs, you should probably just go ahead and do the wires at the same time and then you won't have to worry about it for the next 100k or so.
Yeah I'm gonna do my plugs soon, also the wires, I remember reading your horror story there a couple months back.

I love this forum, its very very helpful.

We got a good group of people here !

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah no crap about that - this is a GREAT forum and if you know what you are doing - it can save you some cash from the $tealership :) Oh and btw, yeah I decided to just get OEM and some Bosch wires. Sounds good?

·
Registered
03 Escalade
336 Posts
Hey pcguy...

I'd still go with either ac delco wires or some msd or performance wires.

I dunno, I just like the 8.5mm's they look diesel.

In my camaro I had the MSDbox with the msd wires, was a good combo.

Acdelco is good though, its stock and you gotta figure hey, its lasted you until now without issues so why not.

Its all preference though. Def do acdelco plugs though.

-Keith

·
Registered
'02 Escalade
200 Posts
Bosch wires were what I put in. No problems/complaints after 6 months. If you go with the 41-985 Delco plug, don't regap them. The manual says plugs should be gapped to .060" (if I remember correctly), while the 41-985 plugs come gapped at ~.040". Delco specifically designed this plug for the 6.0L engine so even though the gap does not agree with the manual, you should NOT adjust it. If you're curious about that, you can do a search here and find the TSB that someone posted explaining all that.

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Nice tip Digital.....I am changing plugs within the week and would have set the gap according to manual.....whick would have been way off...

THANKS for the info

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah thanks from here too Digital :) - BTW, I was wondering - are the Bosch wires better than the AC Delco or both the same more or less?

·
Registered
03 Escalade
336 Posts
While were onto the wires talk now.

Are the MSD wires worth it, or should I just get the ac delco or even just the bosch's ?

Whats the price difference if you know off hand ?

·
Registered
Escalade
2 Posts
This may be a bit too much info, but I am going to throw it out there for everyone's benefit. I am tired of hearing this brand plug for that car, and you can only use this design or that one. If any spark plug mfgr catalogs the plug in the catalog, they have tested it in the application and warrant that it meets the specs. What you really should look for is benefit set...like zinc or nickel plated threads vs. alkali blackened (blackened is bad, coated/dipped is good), electrode type/size (bigger diameter/taller is better for Copper plugs, the reverse is true for platinum/iridium. Long story, but if you want to know more, then respond to this post.

I ran an auto parts store for over 10 years back in the late 80s early 90's and am an active DYIer with ASE certs. I am familiar with all the plugs out there. There are really only a few guys making plugs these days....Autolite, Bosch, Champion, Denso, and NGK (a couple of chinese mfgs, but their stuff doesn't merit discussing). AC, Motorcraft, and Mopar are just brands that repack other mfgrs plugs. My preference is for Bosch and NGK based on feature set/technology and my previous experience in personal vehicles, installing them for others, and selling them.

Regaring Bosch Fusion, I put these plugs in my Escalade and couldn't be happier. Most people just don't understand the design. It uses surface discharge, which actually gives a longer spark vs. the normal J-Gap designs without increasing the voltage requirement. This makes for more complete combustion of the A/F mixture. Also, the gap doesn't erode on Bosch's design like it does on the so-called J-Gap designe of the OE brands or others using the J-Gap design. I experienced better fuel economy, and even noticed more torque (noticeable when I tow my boat, especailly when pulling a hill).

Regarding the OE spark plugs and who makes what...I have found that most counter guys, espcially at national parts retailers are not very informed. AC Delco doesn't even make spark plugs anymore!!! They just repack plugs made by other manufacturers like Bosch and NGK. If you don't believe me see AC Delco part numbers 41-988 (made by Bosch...you'll see made in Gemany and the Bosch logo on the metal portion just below the hex) and 41-987 (made by NGK, see the metal portion on this plug as well). It looks like Bosch and NGK make the majority of the Platinum and/or Iridium fine wire plugs for AC. AC sold their spark plug plant, which was actually a Delphi plant, about 4 years back. AC Delco is just a brand these days...same goes for their spark plug wire sets. The Bosch wires should work great, have a lifetime warranty, and should save you a little money vs. the AC Delco.

A little useless information:

Did you know that the AC in AC Delco stands for Albert Champion? GM bought AC from him way back when, then Albert launched another line of plugs...Champion, which is now owned by Federal Mogul.

Did you know that Bosch actually invented the modern day spark plug over 100 years ago?

Does anyone know what NGK stands for? Nippon Geisha Kasha, or Japanese Insulator Company. They got started making ceramic toilettes and fine china, can you say Noritaki...your wife will know this brand if you don't.

·
Registered
Escalade
2 Posts
Yeah thanks from here too Digital :) - BTW, I was wondering - are the Bosch wires better than the AC Delco or both the same more or less?
:yup:AC Delco is just a brand these days...spark plug wire sets included...they make amost nothing or maybe it is nothing. The Bosch wires should work great, have a lifetime warranty, and should save you a little money vs. the AC Delco.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow and WOW DIYGuy! Your post was very informative and I bet it would clear up alot of dilemma issues on this subject. I liked the history part as well, how interesting :)

So basically, I am buying Bosch plugs when I buy the AC Delco ones - hmmm, do you think I should just get the Bosch Fusion (Iridium) + the Bosch Wires and call it a day?

From your post, seems like these Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc. store guys do not really know what the heck they are talking about!

Thanks for the info :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts