Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a lot of misinformation out there these days about people who have chosen to exercise their right to carry a concealed weapon according to the provisions made by state governments.

Here are a few things that CWP holders want people to know about them. Now of course there are exceptions to these general rules but I think you’ll find these things to be true about the vast majority of your legally carrying neighbors.

1. We don’t carry firearms so that we can ignore other basics of personal safety. Every permit holder that I know realizes that almost all dangerous situations can be avoided by vigilance, alertness and by simply making wise choices about where one goes and what one does. We don’t walk down dark alleys. We lock our cars. We don’t get intoxicated in public or hang out around people who do. We park our cars in well lighted spots and don’t hang out in bad parts of town where we have no business. A gun is our last resort, not our first.

2. We don’t think we are cops, spies, or superheros. We aren’t hoping that somebody tries to rob the convenience store while we are there so we can shoot a criminal. We don’t take it upon ourselves to get involved in situations that are better handled by a 911 call or by simply standing by and being a good witness. We don’t believe our guns give us any authority over our fellow citizens. We also aren't here to be your unpaid volunteer bodyguard. We'll be glad to tell you where we trained and point you to some good gun shops if you feel you want to take this kind of responsibility for your personal safety. Except for extrordinary circumstances your business is your business, don't expect us to help you out of situations you could have avoided.

3. We are LESS likely, not more likely, to be involved in fights or “rage” incidents than the general public. We recognize, better than many unarmed citizens, that we are responsible for our actions. We take the responsibility of carrying a firearm very seriously. We know that loss of temper, getting into fights or angrily confronting someone after a traffic incident could easily escalate into a dangerous situation. We are more likely to go out of our way to avoid these situations. We don’t pull our guns to settle arguments or to attempt to threaten people into doing what we want.

4. We are responsible gun owners. We secure our firearms so that children and other unauthorized people cannot access them. Most of us have invested in safes, cases and lock boxes as well as other secuity measures to keep our firearms secure. Many of us belong to various organizations that promote firearms safety and ownership.

5. Guns are not unsafe or unpredictable. Modern firearms are well made precision instruments. Pieces do not simply break off causing them to fire. A hot day will not set them off. Most modern firearms will not discharge even if dropped. There is no reason to be afraid of a gun simply laying on a table or in a holster. It is not going to discharge on its own.

6. We do not believe in the concept of “accidental discharges”. There are no accidental discharges only negligent discharges or intentional discharges. We take responsibility for our actions and have learned how to safely handle firearms. Any case you have ever heard of about a gun “going off” was the result of negligence on somebody’s part. Our recognition of our responsibility and familiarity with firearms makes us among the safest firearms owners in America.

7. Permit holders do their best to keep our concealed weapons exactly that: concealed. However, there are times with an observant fellow citizen may spot our firearm or the print of our firearm under our clothes. We are very cognizant that concerns about terrorism and crime are in the forefront of the minds of most citizens. We also realize that our society does much to condition our fellow citizens to have sometimes irrational fears about firearms. We would encourage citizens who do happen to spot someone carrying a firearm to use good judgment and clear thinking if they feel to need to take action. Please recognize that it’s very uncommon for a criminal to use a holster. However, if you feel the need to report having spotted a firearm we would ask that you please be specific and detailed in your call to the police or in your report to a store manager or private security. Please don’t generalize or sensationalize what you observed. Comments like “there’s a guy running around in the store with a gun” or even simply “I saw a man with a gun in the store” could possibly cause a misunderstanding as to the true nature of the incident.

8. The fact that we carry a firearm to any given place does not mean that we believe that place to be inherently unsafe. If we believe a place to be unsafe, most of us would avoid that place all together if possible. However, we recognize that trouble could occur at any place and at any time. Criminals do not observe “gun free zones”. If trouble does come, we do not want the only armed persons to be perpetrators. Therefore, we don't usually make a determination about whether or not to carry at any given time based on "how safe" we think a location is.

9. Concealed weapon permit holders are an asset to the public in times of trouble. The fact that most permit holders have the good judgment to stay out of situations better handled by a 911 call or by simply being a careful and vigilant witness does not mean that we would fail to act in situations where the use of deadly force is appropriate to save lives. Review of high profile public shooting incidents shows that when killers are confronted by armed resistance they tend to either break off the attack and flee or choose to end their own life. Lives are saved when resistance engages a violent criminal. Lives are lost when the criminal can do as he pleases.

10. The fact that criminals know that some of the population may be armed at any given time helps to deter violence against all citizens. Permit holders don’t believe that every person should necessarily be armed. We recognize that some people may not be temperamentally suited to carry a firearm or simply may wish not to for personal reasons. However we do encourage you to respect our right to arm ourselves. Even if you choose not to carry a firearm yourself please oppose measures to limit the ability of law abiding citizens to be armed. As mentioned before: criminals do not observe “gun free zones”. Help by not supporting laws that require citizens to be unarmed victims.

11. Those with concealed carry permits are quite likely the most conspicuously law-abiding people you will encounter. In the majority of states with a permitting system, the permitholder has voluntarily submitted himself or herself to a background check involving local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. Very often, fingerprints have also been taken and submitted for examination. You can be assured that we are not criminals carrying under the shield of the law. Multiple levels of government have concurred that we have followed the law. In addition, we have spent a great deal of funds on training, equipment, and the permitting process. We are not eager to jeopardize any of that through misconduct- we are well aware that if we misbehave, we can lose every last penny of that investment, as well as our very freedom.

12. We would NEVER use our weapons unless it was absolutely necessary in order to save an innocent life.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,725 Posts
Awesome! I've read some of that before, but it's all good info! I'm always a little nervous that someone can see the print of my pistol in my pocket.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
+1...

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Awesome! I've read some of that before, but it's all good info! I'm always a little nervous that someone can see the print of my pistol in my pocket.
The thinner you are, the harder to conceal. I don't carry often because I'm not entirely comfartable with it. Practice, practice practice.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
According to Col. Julian Hatcher in his definitive "Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers". The weapon is useless unless you carry it in your hand loaded and cocked. All that's going to happen if you don't is that the bad guy is going to get the drop on you and he'll take your heat as well as your money. An exception is a local off duty cop that while looking down the attempted robbers barrel outdrew his reflexes and plugged the guy. The cop knew that as soon as the bad guy saw his badge he was a dead man so he had some incentive.
The majority of the time I'm wearing a jacket so I carry in a pocket. If the situation warrants I'll have my hand on the gun but still in the pocket. I don't give a damn who knows I carry heat. The more people that know the more steer clear of you.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Rolex, you'd get a mancard for posting this thread, but in lieu of mancards, I'll give you a point.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to Col. Julian Hatcher in his definitive "Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers". The weapon is useless unless you carry it in your hand loaded and cocked. All that's going to happen if you don't is that the bad guy is going to get the drop on you and he'll take your heat as well as your money. An exception is a local off duty cop that while looking down the attempted robbers barrel outdrew his reflexes and plugged the guy. The cop knew that as soon as the bad guy saw his badge he was a dead man so he had some incentive.
The majority of the time I'm wearing a jacket so I carry in a pocket. If the situation warrants I'll have my hand on the gun but still in the pocket. I don't give a damn who knows I carry heat. The more people that know the more steer clear of you.
Those aren't reflexes IMO, that's training. You and I can get it too, but we have to $$$ for it. There are facilities throughout the country that have great training for military, police, and civilians alike. I go at least twice a year: www.aptacademy.com . I always come away with a "sharper edge" and a better shooter. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rolex, you'd get a mancard for posting this thread, but in lieu of mancards, I'll give you a point.
I need a man card much worse. I bought a Honda after selling my Escalade. :hide: I think my Honda even has a tampon dispenser in the dash. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Anyone interested in CW carry should first read "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. Very good reading. I highly recommend it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
Living in Illinois I don't think I ever have to make any decisions about "legally" carrying concealed.

·
Registered
04 Seville
41 Posts
I have a CWP and obtained it as soon as my state OKd it.
I am a responsible person with safety training since I was a teenager. I am now 70. I don't carry all the time but on occasion I do put it in my car.
I avoid locations or situations where the weapon would be needed.
as far as I know, there have been no abuses of the program in my state.
My favorite carry is my S& W 1339 9MM.
For home defense, my choice is my Glock 45 cal.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Do you really keep a gun in your pocket everywhere you go? In Alaska?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Why yes, he does. And he also carries a .458 Win Mag any time he ventures out of his truck!

I envy him.

And soon, may be joining him in the great state of Alaska... Law jobs take FOREVER to hear anything back from...this sucks.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
It's the druggies with addictions and the drunks with no judgement that are the source of the problems. They tend to prey on the weak and defenseless. I do a lot of walking and I don't intend to be a willing victim. In the summertime there can be gangs of kids wandering the streets looking for entertainment. It's amazing the peace of mind you get when you know you are no longer vulnerable to the lowlife.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
There have been eight grizzly bears killed in the Fairbanks area in the defense of life and property since spring. The latest was tearing the siding and windows off a house trying to get at the good tasting soft parts inside. A handgun is just about useless for grizzly protection but you do have the option of shooting yourself when you can no longer stand the pain of being eaten.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Haha...every time you say that it makes me smile. :)

·
Registered
04 Seville
41 Posts
There have been eight grizzly bears killed in the Fairbanks area in the defense of life and property since spring. The latest was tearing the siding and windows off a house trying to get at the good tasting soft parts inside. A handgun is just about useless for grizzly protection but you do have the option of shooting yourself when you can no longer stand the pain of being eaten.

Excellent:)

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
This last weekend two bears bit the dust but the moose won. A car hit a moose, two people were killed, and three hospitalized. The moose didn't survive either but he did get his licks in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts