Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 base deville. When i first bought the car my air suspension worked but later it didn't. My compressor for a few days would just turn on at anythime and run for a good duration then reset i guess before it will do it again. I found the reason for it not lifting due to the air tube rubbing inside the wheel well and cut the air line. I fixed the line but i still get no lift when the compressor turns on. Can anyone help me with a solution or theory?:thepan:

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Either you have another leak or one of the valves inside the pump mechanism is broken or stuck in the wrong position. Get a bottle of soapy water, get under the car, and start spraying the air shocks and the lines with the solution. If you are positive there are no leaks anywhere then start looking at the compressor itself.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either you have another leak or one of the valves inside the pump mechanism is broken or stuck in the wrong position. Get a bottle of soapy water, get under the car, and start spraying the air shocks and the lines with the solution. If you are positive there are no leaks anywhere then start looking at the compressor itself.
OK....now how do i get the compressor to turn on when the car is lifted? Can the valve be repaired if its broken or stuck in wrong position?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
That is a good question about how to get the compressor to turn on, I don't know. Maybe you can see if a local oil change place will let you use their grease pit. I doubt the valve can be repaired. Is the car sitting noticeably low?

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
OK....now how do i get the compressor to turn on when the car is lifted?
Behind the left rear wheel is the level position sensor. Disconnect the sensors input arm and move it... to simulate out of level and the compressor will turn on (raising the car). Moving the sensor arm the other way will cause the vent valve to open (lowering the car).

·
Registered
2004 Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i will try it this coming weekend. It doesn't sit low to where you notice it. It doesn't rise when i add weight to the back either. Also after further reading in this forum it doesn't make the air sound when i turn the car off. I dont want to be riding on it if the rear sits low when i am driving and could possibly create more damage. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I was not aware that they make the hissing noise after shut down. Both my cars do a test when I first start the car up. It will turn on for about 5-10 seconds 30 seconds after I turn on the ignition. However, both my cars have indicator lights that tell me when the compressor is running. Also, the compressors are up front so they are much more easily heard than one buried in the trunk.

These cars do have a tolerance though. You may REALLY have to weigh it down before it pumps up. My cars are both very sensitive and it only takes one friend over 200 lbs sitting in back for the pump to kick on.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume they all do since my '93 sts does it. Everytime I turn off ing the shocks are were released. I do get the compressor to come by sitting in trunk but no rise.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I was not aware that they make the hissing noise after shut down. Both my cars do a test when I first start the car up. It will turn on for about 5-10 seconds 30 seconds after I turn on the ignition.
Both of my Devilles (2000 & 2002) work as Dirt Cheap described they do not release the air after shutdown. They also prove out or do a test after start up. You probably still have a leak in your system if it the pump runs when you sit in the trunk but it doesn't raise the rear.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
How long are you waiting for it to raise? The pumps on these are very tiny and it takes almost a full minute just to raise my car up an inch or so.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got under the car today....I disconnect the level and got the compressor to turn on. I soap everything from shocks to lines and connector at pump....no bubbles. Now i disconnected the house to the shocks and turned on the compressor. When i soap the ends i got one tube to give me slow bubbles and the other tube no bubbles at all. The tube with no bubble is the one i had repaired/patched. Could that tube be blocked by the repair or could i have issues at the compressor where it connects to the tubes? I couldn't get the compressor out due to lack of metric open end wrenches. I will try again later this week.

So the compressor builds up air slowly?

Thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
When i soap the ends i got one tube to give me slow bubbles and the other tube no bubbles at all. The tube with no bubble is the one i had repaired/patched. Could that tube be blocked by the repair or could i have issues at the compressor where it connects to the tubes?
I had a tube disconnect from one of my air shocks on my 02 Deville and I could hear air escaping from the the end of the tube from several feet away over the sound of the compressor. I would think that you would get more than slow bubbles at one and no bubbles at the other.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a tube disconnect from one of my air shocks on my 02 Deville and I could hear air escaping from the the end of the tube from several feet away over the sound of the compressor. I would think that you would get more than slow bubbles at one and no bubbles at the other.
could it be the snot i have read about in the tubes at the connector?...i will be pullin the compressor later this week to see what it looks like at the connector. I will run the compressor with the tubes oof to see how much air is being pushed out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts