Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1991 seville
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went to charge my r12 today. After many attempts and not getting it to put itself into Econ mode, I finally got it to start taking r12. The clutch kicked on and off fast, and all was good. All of a sudden the clutch stopped moving and I started to smoke because the pully wasn't turning free of the clutch, the clutch stopped. Now I am back to the car putting it into econ mode. So, what are the chances that it is just a bad clutch and that the compressor is still good?? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,198 Posts
Did you start smoking because the clutch stopped or did the clutch start smoking? If thew latter, it's probably the clutch.

·
Registered
1991 seville
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im pretty sure that the clutch was engaged and stopped the pully from spinning. I think the smoking was coming from the belt not turning. I could be wrong. Is there a way to change the clutch with the compressor on the car, or does it have to be taken off. If it does, I guess I just replace the compressor too!

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If the clutch disengaged when in econ mode it's not the clutch bad, sounds like compressor locked up. So if you hit ac button belt starts smoking? I hope you have gauges and weren't just adding freon.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
With engine cold, release the belt tension and turn the pulley by hand. Report back.

·
Registered
97 DeVille
172 Posts
You shouldn't need to release the belt tension, as the clutch is disengaged, so you should be able to turn the compressor by hand [the inner part].

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
You shouldn't need to release the belt tension, as the clutch is disengaged, so you should be able to turn the compressor by hand [the inner part].
Really??? It's impossible to turn the compressor pulley with tension on the belt, because all of the accessories are run by one belt. You'd have to be pretty darn strong to turn the whole engine over with all of its accessories... :bigroll:

·
Registered
97 DeVille
172 Posts
I mean you should be able to turn the compressor itself, so you can tell if it's seized or not, without having to release the belt tension, because the clutch should be disengaged.

If the clutch itself has failed as well, so that it stays enabled [so you can't rotate anything], you still know the compressor is bad, because it's not rotating when the engine is running.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,835 Posts
The compressor HUB, not the pulley!
Is it possible that you hydrostatically locked up the compressor with liquid Freon?

·
Registered
1991 seville
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried again just now. It starts taking the freon, quickly cycles on and off like it should. Then after a few minutes the clutch kicks in and does not release and you get sparks from the clutch. I'm assuming the clutch and not the compressor are bad. Can the clutch be replaced on the car?? What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
I haven't replaced a clutch for years, I think it could be done on the car but I myself would just replace the compressor, I actually did last year when my clutch went bad. But I get parts at wholesale where I work and can use the rack at work and don't have to pay for 134s either.

·
Registered
1991 seville
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can spin the clutch with or without belt tension. It's not super loose, but will spin. I am just thinking about buying a new compressor. Where would be the cheapest place??

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
Caddy-EaRL said:
I haven't replaced a clutch for years, I think it could be done on the car but I myself would just replace the compressor, I actually did last year when my clutch went bad. But I get parts at wholesale where I work and can use the rack at work and don't have to pay for 134s either.
Oh how I envy you

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,198 Posts
Then after a few minutes the clutch kicks in and does not release and you get sparks from the clutch. I'm assuming the clutch and not the compressor are bad.
You assume correctly.

Can the clutch be replaced on the car??
I believe it can, with some difficulty (and special tools).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts